Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 16 May 2011 (Monday) 22:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Would you call a 60D a super rebel?

cameraperson
817 posts
Joined May 2010

May 16, 2011 22:41 |  #1

I was looking at the dpreview and they said:

The 60D is probably best understood as a 'super Rebel' - it's a more comfortable, more flexible and faster-to-use version of Canon's justly popular entry-level DSLRs. The twin dial controls, better grip and bigger viewfinder will delight stills shooters while the articulated screen and movie control will please would-be videographers.

http://www.dpreview.co​m …ws/canoneos60D/​page20.asp (external link)

I never felt that way about the 50D and though they feel different I thought they were in another class than the rebels.

edit: I also remember them not liking the 50D. Are they biased against Canon?

Xsi, 18-55

sponsored links
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

May 16, 2011 22:45 |  #2

You have to divorce yourself from the idea that the 60D follows the 50D. It doesn't...

The 60D, IMO, falls between the Rebels and the 7D (if you fancy sports / action) or the 5DMkII (if your tastes run to studio / landscape.)

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,431 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 16, 2011 22:51 |  #3

Weren't all the xxD bodies more or less super Rebels? I mean they almost always matched up feature to feature except for ergonomics, size/weight, and a few extra features. The 7D was the first body to offer significant improvement to something other than the firmware.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

May 16, 2011 23:08 |  #4

gjl711 wrote in post #12423720 (external link)
Weren't all the xxD bodies more or less super Rebels? I mean they almost always matched up feature to feature except for ergonomics, size/weight, and a few extra features.

You and I seem to have different definitions of "matched up" and "a few extra features."

The Rebels have always matched up (or exceeded) the xxD series in terms of sensors, image quality and megapixels.

The xxD series have always had better AF, more frames per second, tougher metal contruction, ability to use CF cards instead of the smaller and slower SD cards, and "a few extra features" like a PC port to control off-camera flash units. The 50D also had AF adjustment which has never been offered on a Rebel series camera. They are certainly not 1-series cameras but they offered several advantages over the smaller Rebels.

The 60D gives up all of the "xxD features" except the AF, which is why it was very quickly dubbed the "Super Rebel." And there's nothing wrong with that because the Rebel series -are- good cameras.

The 60D is what the Rebel series should have been for the past several years and the 7D is what the 50D should have been.

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

jase1125
Goldmember
3,027 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined May 2010

May 16, 2011 23:13 |  #5

No I wouldn't call it a super rebel. I call it a 60D :)

Jason

HaroldC3
Goldmember
3,252 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Joined May 2007

May 16, 2011 23:18 |  #6

who cares...this horse was beat to death when the 60D first came out

Flickr (external link) ~ Instagram (external link)

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,431 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 16, 2011 23:19 |  #7

I never claimed that there were not advantages, the xxD has always offered things that were not available in the xxxD line. So what's so bad about a Super Rebel?

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

casaaviocar
887 posts
Joined Jun 2006

May 16, 2011 23:43 |  #8

I'd call it a camera.

People get all hung up in the idea their camera is "prosumer" or "pro", or "consumer". The XXD series is based on the old Elan bodies which were in their day solidly in the Low mid of Canon's line with the 1 series still being on top, Single digit (A2 or 3) series in the middle, then Elan, and finally Rebel.

Suddenly when the Elan body went digital, it was "prosumer". Canon has basically realigned itself with it's old model lineup again with the 1 series still being on top, then the Single Digit series (7D, 5D), then the two digit series, then the Rebels.

If it makes you feel better, the 60D is prosumer, at worst it's consumer, but to me it's a camera.

Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal -ekg-

Elvin
203 posts
Joined Jul 2010

May 16, 2011 23:54 |  #9

krb wrote in post #12423828 (external link)
You and I seem to have different definitions of "matched up" and "a few extra features."

The Rebels have always matched up (or exceeded) the xxD series in terms of sensors, image quality and megapixels.

The xxD series have always had better AF, more frames per second, tougher metal contruction, ability to use CF cards instead of the smaller and slower SD cards, and "a few extra features" like a PC port to control off-camera flash units. The 50D also had AF adjustment which has never been offered on a Rebel series camera. They are certainly not 1-series cameras but they offered several advantages over the smaller Rebels.

The 60D gives up all of the "xxD features" except the AF, which is why it was very quickly dubbed the "Super Rebel." And there's nothing wrong with that because the Rebel series -are- good cameras.

The 60D is what the Rebel series should have been for the past several years and the 7D is what the 50D should have been.

bw!
The standards for DSLRs would be way too high though.

Canon Camera
Canon Lenses
Gear List

arch.cm
751 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 17, 2011 01:35 |  #10

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #12423674 (external link)
You have to divorce yourself from the idea that the 60D follows the 50D. It doesn't...

The 60D, IMO, falls between the Rebels and the 7D (if you fancy sports / action) or the 5DMkII (if your tastes run to studio / landscape.)

The Canon EOS 60D is a digital single-lens reflex camera from Canon. It is part of the Canon EOS line of cameras and succeeds the EOS 50D. It was publicly announced on August 26, 2010.

http://en.wikipedia.or​g/wiki/Canon_60D (external link)

60D|Canon 10-22mm|Canon 85mm 1.8|Canon 50mm 1.8 ii|Canon 70-200mm f4L|Raynox DCR-250|Sunpak PZ42X
Full Gear List

Mikail
89 posts
Joined May 2011

May 17, 2011 01:58 as a reply to  @ arch.cm's post |  #11

Yes, it is a super rebel.

5Dc + 17-40L f/4 + 50 f/1.8 + 70-200L f/4 IS

rhys216
Goldmember
1,814 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 17, 2011 02:42 |  #12
bannedPermanent ban

arch.cm wrote in post #12424554 (external link)
The Canon EOS 60D is a digital single-lens reflex camera from Canon. It is part of the Canon EOS line of cameras and succeeds the EOS 50D. It was publicly announced on August 26, 2010.

http://en.wikipedia.or​g/wiki/Canon_60D (external link)

Hmmm, you don't seem to grasp that the XXD line was downgraded with the 60D, i.e. they reduced the spec's to be much closer to the Rebel series, and litterally only the name succeeds the 50D, the XXD is now a different class of camera.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,562 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

May 17, 2011 05:54 |  #13

rhys216 wrote in post #12424754 (external link)
Hmmm, you don't seem to grasp that the XXD line was downgraded with the 60D, i.e. they reduced the spec's to be much closer to the Rebel series, and litterally only the name succeeds the 50D, the XXD is now a different class of camera.

Wrong, or at the very minimum, very misleading, here we go again...

There are more specs shared with the 7D than with the rebel, and only a few things "downgraded" (loosely used term) from the 50D.

IMG NOTICE: [NOT AN IMAGE URL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]

Really, do we have to go through this yet again for the 50th time? :rolleyes:

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

May 17, 2011 06:48 |  #14

The 60D Supports groups A and B for Speedlite wireless control.

I call it what it is - perfect for me. These 60D troll bait threads are getting old and really starting to harm the forum, can we just lay them to rest? Some people will get the camera and love it, some will only see what it didn't have and hate it, many without ever actually living with the camera for a long period of time and finding that it does a lot more right than it does wrong.

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

Spacemunkie
Goldmember
1,555 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Apr 2008

May 17, 2011 06:58 |  #15

Anyone who thinks that the 60D is a "downgrade" from previous xxD bodies has been sniffing something. There are a couple of things that are indisputably not as good and a great many more things that are indisputably better.

I'll take a 60D over a 50D every time.

Flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

sponsored links

19,717 views & 0 likes for this thread
Would you call a 60D a super rebel?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.