Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 15 May 2011 (Sunday) 21:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Someone in California should go check this place out..

The ­ Framed ­ Life
Goldmember
1,054 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 15, 2011 21:32 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

http://www.wimp.com/ac​cidentalsea/ (external link)

Sounds like an amazing photo opportunity.

The Framed Life (external link)
Canon 30D
70-200mm F/4L, 24-70 f/2.8L

►►► 30D For Sale ◄◄◄
James Robertson

sponsored links
stayhumble
Goldmember
1,328 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 15, 2011 21:35 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

gorgeous, and exceptional video. thanks for sharing. ill have to visit when im back. never knew this.

There are no rules for a good photograph and there are no excuses for a bad one.
SELLING:40D, 50D, 10-22, Tamron 17-50 non VC, 5D, 14MM II, 24-105, 70-200 f/4 IS, 430EX, 530EX (ALL MINT W/Box)

Ugly ­ Joe
436 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 15, 2011 23:02 as a reply to  @ stayhumble's post |  #3

A number of us actually did a sunrise run at the Salton Sea a few months back - managed to get to the Northern shore by sunrise for some fantastic shots, and then worked our way around to find some of the abandoned properties on both the Eastern shore, and the Western shore.

It truly is a surrealistic experience out there - post apocalyptic is a fine way to describe it. The sound of tiny fish bones crunching beneath your feet with every step, the sight of absolutely everything covered in salt - from a fine encrustation in some places, to heavy duty armor built up on others - and the absence of people, while finding these "ruins"...some of them seem so fresh, like the people just left a couple of weeks prior, but it's just so hard to tell.

Here's a link to a thread we were working for the trip - I'm linking to page 8, where a couple of the guys have put in some photos.
https://photography-on-the.net …hread.php?t=973​708&page=8

"Hell is an eternity of getting up at 4am to nothing but decaf coffee..."
A good friend will help you move.
A true friend will help you move a body.
An old friend more than likely will pass on either because of a bad back.

daveyboi
652 posts
Joined Aug 2009

May 16, 2011 02:14 |  #4

i've seen the documentary of this place. its seems like an amazing place to stop by while on a road trip.

5D Mark II // 17-40L SOLD:cry: // 24-70L // 70-200 F/2.8 IS II L SOLD:cry: // 50 f/1.8
Instagram: the_davebot
Welcoming myself back to photography

chopperdave
Goldmember
1,196 posts
Joined Sep 2008

May 16, 2011 17:03 |  #5

I need to do an overnight trip there sometime, I have only been out there during the day.

David
davidmoorephoto.com (external link)
More Than Pnup (external link)
I feel like I've gone back in time.

NG8JGFX
741 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Mar 2011

May 16, 2011 17:14 |  #6

It's pretty major. Will take you a few days to explore the Salton Sea in its entirety and shoot photos..
Stinks too..

MyCanonPhotos (external link) facebook (external link)
Tenba 32L, 5D IV, 5D III, 7D II, 8 Lenses, Three 600 EX-RT's, ST-E3-RT +

ElWalrus
83 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 16, 2011 17:22 |  #7

I'm so there
Someday...

60D | Canon 15-85mm IS

nebula_42
183 posts
Joined Jan 2005

May 16, 2011 17:48 as a reply to  @ ElWalrus's post |  #8

Don't go out there in the summer or you'll FRY! :o

San Diego, CA

all the usual stuff :)

JWright
Planes, trains and ham radio...
18,399 posts
Joined Dec 2004

May 16, 2011 19:36 as a reply to  @ nebula_42's post |  #9

It's nowhere as bad as the video makes out. The County of Riverside recently took over the abandoned North Shore Yacht Club, which looked like this in March 2009:

IMAGE: http://johnwright.smugmug.com/Photographic-Road-Trips/Salton-Sea-Road-Trip/IMG100-0515-40D/503718858_4wS8t-XL.jpg

And redeveloped it into a Senior Center. This shot was taken in November of 2009 and you can see how far along the restoration was at that time.

IMAGE: http://johnwright.smugmug.com/Photographic-Road-Trips/Salton-Sea-Road-Trip-II/IMG100-6378-40D/708372919_nhedv-XL.jpg

I haven't been back since the restoration was completed so I don't know what the building looks like now.

John

JWright
Planes, trains and ham radio...
18,399 posts
Joined Dec 2004

May 16, 2011 19:46 as a reply to  @ JWright's post |  #10

Bombay Beach really does look like the pictures in the video...

IMAGE: http://johnwright.smugmug.com/Photographic-Road-Trips/Salton-Sea-Road-Trip/IMG100-0496-40D/503715581_aULh5-XL.jpg

There's an abandoned Marine Base out by the town of Niland southeast of the Sea called "Slab City" that has become a home for squatters.

IMAGE: http://johnwright.smugmug.com/Photographic-Road-Trips/Salton-Sea-Road-Trip/IMG100-0466-40D/503711535_Xv9H7-XL-1.jpg

There are a couple of old water tanks at Slab City that have been decorated with very eclectic artwork, most of which is NSFW...

My full Salton Sea galleries are here: http://johnwright.smug​mug.com/Photographic-Road-Trips (external link)

John

spreeg
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined May 2011

May 16, 2011 20:28 as a reply to  @ JWright's post |  #11

I was there a couple years ago for a small photography trip. It's really not as weird as the video makes it out to be in most areas, there are areas that are pretty strange but a lot of people still live around there. Slab city/The painted mountain is a little ways away from the sea itself, and slab city can be pretty sketchy, the people that live there are not super fond of visitors. That said there are some pretty amazing photo ops out there.

NG8JGFX
741 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Mar 2011

May 16, 2011 20:29 |  #12

Dont forget to get a Date Shake!! BTW Ben Willmore took some fantastic shots out there and made a few HDR's worth a look www.bestofben.com (external link) look for badlands link....

MyCanonPhotos (external link) facebook (external link)
Tenba 32L, 5D IV, 5D III, 7D II, 8 Lenses, Three 600 EX-RT's, ST-E3-RT +

ShaneKPhotography
831 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2011

May 16, 2011 23:57 |  #13

I truly enjoyed that video. Thanks for sharing.

Rebel XS Gripped, EF-S 18-55, EF 50 f/1.8, Tamron SP 70-300, 430 EX II, Sigma DG OS 150-500.
flickr (external link) || Facebook (external link) || Website (external link)

millervito
55 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 17, 2011 10:43 as a reply to  @ ShaneKPhotography's post |  #14

Very cool video Ive got to go there. lets load the rv :D

20D Gripped, 2 50d's, AT-1, 50 1.2, 10-20, 17-85, 70-300, 135L flashes filters now only if I could afford memory cards :o

sponsored links

2,648 views & 0 likes for this thread
Someone in California should go check this place out..
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.