Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 17 May 2011 (Tuesday) 07:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Can someone explain what a Parabolic umbrella is?

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,924 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2009

May 17, 2011 07:16 |  #1

Thanks in advance.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

sponsored links
eduardofrances
679 posts
Joined Oct 2006

May 17, 2011 07:47 |  #2

digital paradise wrote in post #12425332 (external link)
Thanks in advance.

Today what´s called a parabollic umbrella is a 16 panel umbrella that´s being offered by various vendors, these umbrellas offer a way to have a big modifier for not so much money, the discussion of wether or not these are parabolic has been ensued since these came to the market, regardless of that discussion this product has become pretty popular among many shooters.

There are tons of different parabolic umbrellas though, Profoto, Briese and other manufacturers do parabolic umbrellas that are different than the ones sold by Paul C. Buff, Viewfinderphotography or Costwoldphoto (to name a few).

I recently bought one from Costwoldphoto and I have been impressed with the umbrella packs a punch (silver version is really efficient) and it is really well made, Now is it parabolic? I dunno and also I don´t care much :P (In Spain there´s a saying that goes "soy de letras" which means I didn´t studied a math related career) All I wanted is a huge *ss umbrella for full body shots :D! And this does the trick regardless if it is really parabolic or not.

There are tons of examples shot with these umbrellas here and in Fred Miranda´s site, Google Images is going to be your best friend

http://flickr.com/phot​os/eduardofrances/ (external link) :D

bdp23
471 posts
Joined Jul 2009

May 17, 2011 08:25 |  #3

Parabolas are technically 'conic sections'. Get a perfect cone, slice through it down to the base, the edge of the cut is a parabola.

The important thing photographically about parabolas is they have a focal point.
You put lots of light at the focal point and it bounces off all the umbrella surface at different angles, but when it leaves the umbrella ALL THE RAYS ARE PARALLEL.
(the reverse theory is used to receive satellite signals)

Why is this good?
More light reaches the subject. More control.

Also, by the time the sun's rays reach the earth (90million miles or more) any ray of light that wasn't pointing directly in our direction has veered off and completely missed the planet.
So? well, parabolic umbrellas don't cast convergent or divergent light, so the shadows are (technically) more natural like they were coming from the sun.

So it's kinda got a built-in snoot?
Yeah, I spose. But the fact true parabolic reflectors fire all the light perfectly in one direction means you have more control over it. Even if you add a diffuser, more light reaches the diffuser.

Here's the ultimate truth: Photography isn't accounting, it's art. If it looks good, it looks good. I doubt you can tell the difference between a perfect parabolic umbrella and anything reasonably close to parabolic, but you might notice your speedlite pops are a little brighter than non-parabolics (ahem, although when using ETTL the camera might just turn it down a touch to compensate!)

I like making photos and sometimes I think I'm getting better... then I realise it doesn't matter. I like making photos!

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
How do I change this?
14,924 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 17, 2011 08:56 |  #4

Thanks for the explanations.

Image Editing OK

peabody2468
191 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 17, 2011 10:51 |  #5

It seems to me that the focal point effect works only to the extent that the reflector is "perfect." But if the reflecting surface itself bounces an incident ray off in all directions, rather than just one like a perfect mirror would do, you're going to get a lot of dispersion. Whether a parabolic umbrella is noticeably better than a regular one is beyond my pay grade.

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
How do I change this?
14,924 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 17, 2011 11:38 |  #6

bdp23 wrote in post #12425570 (external link)
Also, by the time the sun's rays reach the earth (90million miles or more) any ray of light that wasn't pointing directly in our direction has veered off and completely missed the planet.

I like this explanation. When you understand the physics of light all this becomes so much easier. Tough to make well thought out purchases when you don't understand the basics, particularly on camera diffusers.

Image Editing OK

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

May 17, 2011 12:17 |  #7

PCB points out that a good parabolic umbrella reflects the light source in such a way that the rays are not parallel but that the light emanating from focused with fast fall off outside the diameter of the reflector. That's what makes the wrap possible.

What I like about parabolic reflectors is the punch they offer along with wrap to provide a smooth transition from highlight to shadow.

Here are two examples.

The model on the bike is lit with a 64" silver PLM V2 about 10 feet away. A 64" white PLM was used for fill. It was configured for shoot through with black back. it was about 5 feet away.

The second shot was with an 86" Silver PLM about 6 feet to camera left and a 64" silver PLM for fill just camera right.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

CincyTriGuy
567 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 16, 2013 13:17 |  #8

Stumbled across this old thread and had another question. Regardless of what is and is not a true parabolic per the definition, at what point do photographers generally start calling modifiers "parabolics"? It seems like up to about 48" or so, most photographers will say umbrella or brolly, and then anything larger is called a parabolic. Is the point being that a parabolic is generally considered anything capable of lighting an entire subject?

Jason
Canon 1DX Mark II | 16-35 f/2.8L | 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L

abbadon31
Goldmember
4,927 posts
Gallery: 261 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 16, 2013 13:25 |  #9

Its not based on size; its the shape and how it focus the light like a spot light

I AM SHOM

FlashZebra
This space available
4,427 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Sep 16, 2013 18:19 |  #10

abbadon31 wrote in post #16301204 (external link)
Its not based on size; its the shape and how it focus the light like a spot light

To define the shape of a parabola and the focus specifically:

http://en.wikipedia.or​g/wiki/Parabola (external link)

A parabola is the shape generated and defined by this general equation:

y = ax
2 + bx + c (x2 is the square of x))

Enjoy! Lon

http://flashzebra.com/ (external link)

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,898 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Sep 17, 2013 09:05 |  #11

FlashZebra wrote in post #16301927 (external link)
To define the shape of a parabola and the focus specifically:

http://en.wikipedia.or​g/wiki/Parabola (external link)

A parabola is the shape generated and defined by this general equation:

y = ax
² + bx + c

Enjoy! Lon

There, fixed it for you , Lon. ;)

...Leo

sponsored links

16,584 views & 0 likes for this thread
Can someone explain what a Parabolic umbrella is?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.