Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 16 May 2011 (Monday) 22:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Would you call a 60D a super rebel?

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

May 17, 2011 12:46 |  #46

tkbslc wrote in post #12426973 (external link)
Funny how all the detractors are non-60D owners. Meaning all their conclusions are based on internet research instead of actual camera use.

Personally, I don't own a 60D, but I think the negative press has more to do with assumptions than reality.

What negative press? It was pretty well received and reviewed by all of the major internet sites. It's more like negative water cooler talk from people who held one once in a store and made a rash generalization and never actually used it.

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

sponsored links
rhys216
Goldmember
1,814 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 17, 2011 12:49 |  #47
bannedPermanent ban

cameraperson wrote in post #12427041 (external link)
I wish I wouldn't have asked the question. I didn't read in the other 60d thread. I was a little offended by the dpreview comment (I don't own the 60d but have played with it), so I posted.

Are you being serious? :oops:

cputeq007
585 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 17, 2011 12:49 |  #48

cameraperson wrote in post #12423643 (external link)
I was looking at the dpreview and they said:

The 60D is probably best understood as a 'super Rebel' - it's a more comfortable, more flexible and faster-to-use version of Canon's justly popular entry-level DSLRs. The twin dial controls, better grip and bigger viewfinder will delight stills shooters while the articulated screen and movie control will please would-be videographers.

http://www.dpreview.co​m …ws/canoneos60D/​page20.asp (external link)

I never felt that way about the 50D and though they feel different I thought they were in another class than the rebels.

edit: I also remember them not liking the 50D. Are they biased against Canon?

Your post is nearly self-defeating. You equate the comparison as an insult, meaning you find the Rebel line faulty, because you feel something being a "super" Rebel is still bad. If so, why allege they have bias when you post your own?

Flickr (external link)
I own camera stuff

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,604 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 17, 2011 12:50 |  #49

Keyan wrote in post #12427046 (external link)
What negative press? It was pretty well received and reviewed by all of the major internet sites. It's more like negative water cooler talk from people who held one once in a store and made a rash generalization and never actually used it.

See 90% of 60D threads on this forum... ;)

People that have actually used the camera seem to like it.

And I don't see why being called a super-Rebel is a negative. The Canon Rebel line is the best selling DSLR series, period. So being a superior camera to that (hence super) is probably a pretty good compliment. The Rebel line is a consumer oriented camera, so the connotation is that the 60D is less of a prosumer and more of a consumer model. If that alone bothers you, then you have some insecurities to work out.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

cameraperson
THREAD ­ STARTER
817 posts
Joined May 2010

May 17, 2011 12:51 |  #50

rhys216 wrote in post #12427068 (external link)
Are you being serious? :oops:

yes. I'm serious. I liked the Canon so it bothered me. I remembered other reviews I read where I thought they were being hard on Canon also.

Xsi, 18-55

cameraperson
THREAD ­ STARTER
817 posts
Joined May 2010

May 17, 2011 12:52 |  #51

cputeq007 wrote in post #12427072 (external link)
Your post is nearly self-defeating. You equate the comparison as an insult, meaning you find the Rebel line faulty, because you feel something being a "super" Rebel is still bad. If so, why allege they have bias when you post your own?

Because I'm a lowly consumer who doesn't know what they're talking about.

Xsi, 18-55

rhys216
Goldmember
1,814 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 17, 2011 12:55 |  #52
bannedPermanent ban

You said it....

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,604 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 17, 2011 12:56 |  #53

Oh, c'mon. It's all a matter of perspective here. The 7D is a "toy" to 1Dmk3 and d3s owners. And a 1Dsmk3 seems like a toy next to a Hasselblad kit. If you take offense because someone considers your camera beneath them, then you bought a camera for the wrong reason.

Taylor

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

May 17, 2011 13:00 |  #54

tkbslc wrote in post #12426973 (external link)
Funny how all the detractors are non-60D owners. Meaning all their conclusions are based on internet research instead of actual camera use.

Who's a detractor? The 60D is an excellent camera. Period. So are the various models in the Rebel series and the feature set of the 60D is in many ways more Rebel than xxD with the most important "new" feature of the 60D being the lower price.

If the 60D truly had been designed as the next xxD camera then it would have been a 7D with different packaging. But Canon already had the 7D so the choice was either kill the xxD series or make the next xxD camera be more Rebel-like with a reduced feature set to keep the price down. And that's exactly what the 60D is.

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

rhys216
Goldmember
1,814 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 17, 2011 13:03 |  #55
bannedPermanent ban

krb wrote in post #12427161 (external link)
Who's a detractor? The 60D is an excellent camera. Period. So are the various models in the Rebel series and the feature set of the 60D is in many ways more Rebel than xxD with the most important "new" feature of the 60D being the lower price.

If the 60D truly had been designed as the next xxD camera then it would have been a 7D with different packaging. But Canon already had the 7D so the choice was either kill the xxD series or make the next xxD camera be more Rebel-like with a reduced feature set to keep the price down. And that's exactly what the 60D is.

+1

Exactly right, I don't see why some people find pointing out the facts upsetting.

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,604 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 17, 2011 13:03 |  #56

Don't argue that, but there are certainly plenty of people with hostile attitudes toward the 60D just because of the specs. I can see not wanting the camera, but there is definite hostility there.

I can argue both sides here. Super rebel doesn't have to be an insult, but those throwing out the term generally mean it as such.

Taylor

srschick
34 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 17, 2011 13:04 |  #57

the 60D is a camera in Canon's DSLR lineup with features that equate to a few hundred dollars more than the Rebel T2i that came out during the same period.
It also doesn't have features that the 7D has, thus costing a few hundred dollars less than that model, which also happened to come out during that same period.

super Rebel
or
lacking 7D

potato / potato..

it is what it is.
An option...

Current Gear
<--- stands on corner with sign that reads "Will work for L Glass..."

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

May 17, 2011 13:06 |  #58

tkbslc wrote in post #12427203 (external link)
Don't argue that, but there are certainly plenty of people with hostile attitudes toward the 60D just because of the specs.

Yeah, some people seem to have been emotionally attached to the xxD line and feel betrayed by the 60D. Makes no sense whatsoever.

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

rhys216
Goldmember
1,814 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 17, 2011 13:07 |  #59
bannedPermanent ban

tkbslc wrote in post #12427203 (external link)
Don't argue that, but there are certainly plenty of people with hostile attitudes toward the 60D just because of the specs.

These people are simply disappointed because the camera didn't meet the expectations of the XXD moniker.
I personally feel Canon undershot the spec's as they are too close to the Rebel line imo, I think they could have added a few more features and just up'd the price a little more to avoid cannibalising the 7D, as it stands the gap between the 60D and 7D is still too large imo.

Mikail
89 posts
Joined May 2011

May 17, 2011 13:13 |  #60

Who said the 60D was a bad camera? I certainly didn't. I believe its a great camera, but that doesn't change the fact that it is like a super rebel.

5Dc + 17-40L f/4 + 50 f/1.8 + 70-200L f/4 IS

sponsored links

19,734 views & 0 likes for this thread
Would you call a 60D a super rebel?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.