Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 16 May 2011 (Monday) 22:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Would you call a 60D a super rebel?

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,604 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 17, 2011 13:55 |  #61

Mikail wrote in post #12427296 (external link)
Who said the 60D was a bad camera? I certainly didn't. I believe its a great camera, but that doesn't change the fact that it is like a super rebel.

So why not call it a 7D-lite then?

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

sponsored links
BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 17, 2011 14:39 |  #62

tkbslc wrote in post #12427565 (external link)
So why not call it a 7D-lite then?

It would need to have a magnesium body, micro-adjust, faster burst, and quite possibly still use CF cards...then I think people would call it that.

The Rebel line (why don't you just use the numeric nomenclature and get rid of that frickin' Reble/Kiss label Canon??!) has gotten so advanced since the 550D that it would take some extras to the 60D to give it a big enough separation to avoid the "super rebel" name. The differences between the 600D and the 60D are less substantial than the differences with the 7D on paper.
Too bad Canon didn't keep the micro-adjust feature. That should be standard on any xxD/xD line! But the 60D has proven to be a great camera!
Threads like this are good for witty banter and harmless debate. ;)

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,604 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 17, 2011 14:45 |  #63

BrickR wrote in post #12427791 (external link)
It would need to have a magnesium body, micro-adjust, faster burst, and quite possibly still use CF cards...then I think people would call it that.

Then it would be a 7D, not a 7D lite.

Taylor

rhys216
Goldmember
1,814 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 17, 2011 14:47 |  #64
bannedPermanent ban

tkbslc wrote in post #12427827 (external link)
Then it would be a 7D, not a 7D lite.

Well actually it would be a 7D Pro.

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,604 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 17, 2011 14:54 |  #65

If you compare the 20D and 350D, 30D and 400D, 40D and 450D, 50D and 500D and 60D and 600D/550D, you will find that the gap has not narrowed. IN fact, in previous generations, the Rebel usually had some newer features. The T1i had the same sensor as the 50D, but the 50D didn't have video. The 450D had a 12MP 14bit sensor and better liveview than the 40D. The 400D was 10MP and 3.5fps while the 30D had 8MP, 5fps and the same AF system. That was a pretty narrow gap for while. And the 300D could be firmware hacked to actually be a 10D.

I think people have the idea of a giant gap between the bodies based on a little more metal and a MA feature that was only included for one body release.

Taylor

RHChan84
Goldmember
2,320 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 17, 2011 15:02 |  #66

IMO as long as you like the camera and its for you then it doesn't matter what it is.

Canon (60D Gripped | 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS | 40mm f2.8 | 50mm f1.8 | 70-200 F4L IS| 430 EXII)
Tamron (17-50 f2.8 VC)
Feedback
Facebook (external link)

flickr (external link)

fiftyD
75 posts
Joined Jan 2011

May 17, 2011 15:07 |  #67

CanonEOS wrote in post #12425952 (external link)
The 60D a Super Rebel don't make me Laugh, it's not in the Rebel line. Was the 50D ever a Rebel? So why do you think the 60D is!!!.

When the 60D first came out it was only to replace the 50D. Not a Rebel line do any of you bashers Read what Canon said?

you say "you bashers",well I think you're a rebel basher !

why are you so defensive when the 60D is spoken of in a rebel comparison ?

there is nothing wrong with the rebel line,they are great cameras too !

but you 60D owners sure do get upset when anybody compares it the way it has been discussed in this thread ! LOL

rhys216
Goldmember
1,814 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 17, 2011 15:38 |  #68
bannedPermanent ban

fiftyD wrote in post #12427958 (external link)
you say "you bashers",well I think you're a rebel basher !

why are you so defensive when the 60D is spoken of in a rebel comparison ?

there is nothing wrong with the rebel line,they are great cameras too !

but you 60D owners sure do get upset when anybody compares it the way it has been discussed in this thread ! LOL

LMAO :lol:

bw!

Agent ­ 655
98 posts
Joined Jan 2009

May 17, 2011 15:54 |  #69

I just love when the 60D is brought down since it doesn't have Micro Adjust... Like many users only use prime lenses... (for those who want MA but have not used it, you can only calibrate for ONE focal length on a lens!)

I have a 60D/Super Rebel/7D Lite whatever and am quite happy with it. Sure it will probably break if I throw it out the window while driving down the highway, but I am OK with that :)

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

May 17, 2011 16:23 |  #70

tkbslc wrote in post #12427884 (external link)
I think people have the idea of a giant gap between the bodies based on a little more metal and a MA feature that was only included for one body release.

And, as I've said before, if MA is such an all-important feature - why were there no complaints about its non-inclusion in the 40D? When the 40D was launched MA was already present in the 1D, yet I don't recall a single complaint about the lack of MA in the 40D. Indeed, I don't recall there being songs of jubilation about its inclusion in the 50D, more of a 'ooh, that's nice' reception.

But the bleaters needed something to bleat about when they realised that the 60D wasn't 7D specs at a 50D price. And the only things they could find to bleat about were the lack of the, previously 'meh', MA and the fact that it didn't feel 'magnesiumy'.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,357 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2007

May 17, 2011 16:34 as a reply to  @ hollis_f's post |  #71

I would't call any camera a Rebel. As far as I can see from here, no cameras are called Rebel. They are for example called EOS 1100D or EOS 600D or something along that line.

Never Rebel.

Anders

harcosparky
Goldmember
2,431 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

May 17, 2011 16:39 |  #72

gjl711 wrote in post #12423720 (external link)
Weren't all the xxD bodies more or less super Rebels? I mean they almost always matched up feature to feature except for ergonomics, size/weight, and a few extra features. The 7D was the first body to offer significant improvement to something other than the firmware.

Get hold of a 10D and an original Digital Rebel - released around the same time the two were worlds, make that universes apart.

At least that was my opinion.

I was shooting an EOS-3 when I bought my first DSLR from Canon.

I bought the Digital Rebel ( $995 package with kit lens.)

Took it home, unboxed it, reboxed it and returned it in exchange for the 10D.

The 10D was $1499 if I am not mistaken and a much much different and better camera.

rhys216
Goldmember
1,814 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 17, 2011 16:46 |  #73
bannedPermanent ban

apersson850 wrote in post #12428534 (external link)
I would't call any camera a Rebel. As far as I can see from here, no cameras are called Rebel. They are for example called EOS 1100D or EOS 600D or something along that line.

Never Rebel.

600D 550D 500D 450D etc etc. are known as 'Rebel' in the US.

rhys216
Goldmember
1,814 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 17, 2011 16:52 |  #74
bannedPermanent ban

hollis_f wrote in post #12428456 (external link)
And, as I've said before, if MA is such an all-important feature - why were there no complaints about its non-inclusion in the 40D? When the 40D was launched MA was already present in the 1D, yet I don't recall a single complaint about the lack of MA in the 40D. Indeed, I don't recall there being songs of jubilation about its inclusion in the 50D, more of a 'ooh, that's nice' reception.

It was a Pro feature at that point, that changed when the mid-range inherited it, but then it was taken away in the 60D.
You don't miss what you never had...

fiftyD
75 posts
Joined Jan 2011

May 17, 2011 17:22 |  #75

apersson850 wrote in post #12428534 (external link)

Never Rebel.

maybe not in other countries ,but here in the USA,(on the Canon USA site)they are definitely called Rebel.

http://www.usa.canon.c​om …ducts/cameras/s​lr_cameras (external link)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

but to your credit,on the European site they are named differently.
http://www.canon-europe.com …as/Digital_SLR/​index.aspx (external link)

sponsored links

19,706 views & 0 likes for this thread
Would you call a 60D a super rebel?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.