Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 16 May 2011 (Monday) 20:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Anyone use a Blu-ray writer for image backup?

mdvaden
Goldmember
3,458 posts
Gallery: 91 photos
Joined Mar 2009

May 16, 2011 20:58 |  #1

Does anyone use Blu-ray to write images on disc for backup?

I use a drive writer limited to about 750 megs right now (per Disc), and an external hard drive too (stored in a fireproof safe). And I've been thinking about an internal or external Blu-ray.

Or do you know of somebody who uses one for backup?

Thanks.

:cool:

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

sponsored links
sbattey
Goldmember
1,250 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 16, 2011 21:27 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

DVDs would be cheaper than blu rays, I wouldn't buy a blu ray burner just to store pictures on blu rays.

But if you have no problem with the investment, 25gb blu ray disks are a lot more convient than 4.7gb dvds

Canon 7D | Canon 50mm f/1.4 | 430EX II
Blog (external link)

crn3371
Cream of the Crop
7,198 posts
Joined Mar 2005

May 16, 2011 22:07 |  #3

I'd still rather use hard drive storage. An external hard drive should be compatible with just about any machine. Most machines don't have blu-ray, and I'd still be worried about compatibility issues.

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,458 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 16, 2011 23:11 |  #4

sbattey wrote in post #12423257 (external link)
DVDs would be cheaper than blu rays, I wouldn't buy a blu ray burner just to store pictures on blu rays.

But if you have no problem with the investment, 25gb blu ray disks are a lot more convient than 4.7gb dvds

Interesting.

I haven't bought new DVDs in years. Still feeding of an old stack that is finally depleting. Did not realize there were 4.7 gig discs. That would change the equation a lot.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

HyperYagami
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 17, 2011 00:48 |  #5

mdvaden wrote in post #12423102 (external link)
I use a drive writer limited to about 750 megs right now (per Disc)

why are you still using CDR?

5D3 and a few lens
es.

shayneyasinski
657 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 17, 2011 00:59 |  #6

Bottom line in backup is to have at least 3 , 1 of them offsite.
As for blu ray , I am sure it will replace dvds just like dvd replaced cdr.

my gear Canon 7D, Canon 5DMK2, 70-200 f2.8 IS, 50mm f1.8, canon 430 speedlight, canon 17-55 2.8 IS, canon 100mm macro sigma 10-20, Canon 17-85 , 60 cokin filters , 2x telecoverter.

ROGERWILCO357
Goldmember
1,551 posts
Joined Sep 2009

May 17, 2011 03:12 |  #7

you are thinking the same way I am I want to get my next machine with the blu-ray burner and would love to archive my best pics there since drives go bad all the time and tired of havings soo many thumb drives. what setup are you looking at getting?

EOS 5DMKII gripped;EOS 7D;30D:Rebel Xti Digital;24-105L,70-200 f/2.8L.II,85mm f1.2L.II,16-35Lmk2, SP AF90mmF/2.8DI,28-135mm x 2,580EX II-430ExII with Pocket Wizards II,(Adobe CS5)

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007

May 17, 2011 06:37 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

I would use blu-ray just in case, I've had plenty of hard drive failures in the past. Ext. drives are ok as well, but I would have a third, just in case

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

May 17, 2011 15:03 |  #9

mdvaden wrote in post #12423844 (external link)
Interesting.

I haven't bought new DVDs in years. Still feeding of an old stack that is finally depleting. Did not realize there were 4.7 gig discs. That would change the equation a lot.

CD: 700MB
DVD: 4.7 GB
DVD DL: 8.5 GB
BD (bluray): 25 GB
BD DL: 50 GB

Tom

Blurr ­ Cube
...a lucky id-iot that didn't get electrocuted...
15,147 posts
Joined Aug 2010

May 17, 2011 15:25 as a reply to  @ RTPVid's post |  #10

The 25 Gb Blu-ray discs and burner seems reasonable and affordable to use as a backup to HD or external backup.

| Canon EOS Systems |

Agent ­ 655
98 posts
Joined Jan 2009

May 17, 2011 16:00 |  #11

I do know that with CDR that the lifespan is no where near as long as you would think. After 5 or so years many of the old CDR disks will start to fail and not be readable! I am not sure how long a DVD or Bluray would last, but I would imagine much longer.

On a CD the writable surface is just below the label side. Scratch that and you loose data. In a DVD/Bluray the recordable part is sandwiched between two plastic layers.

I am still sold on using a hard drive based backup, a couple of large drives do not cost too much, and every 5-10 years as new stuff comes out you can transfer to the new tech.

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,458 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 17, 2011 16:31 |  #12

ROGERWILCO357 wrote in post #12424809 (external link)
you are thinking the same way I am I want to get my next machine with the blu-ray burner and would love to archive my best pics there since drives go bad all the time and tired of havings soo many thumb drives. what setup are you looking at getting?

Not sure if my next computer will be a MAC or PC. But I typically keep two computers. Always have spares of everything. My wife has a MAC laptop and its pretty good too, but not used for utility much.

So I'm thinking that an external Blu-ray drive, although slightly more money, could be used with a desktop and laptop. May buy, or ask my son to help build. Right now, this is what I have set up, with 2 hard drive, and a DVD / CD writer. And room for at least two more internal drives.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

May 17, 2011 16:36 |  #13

Agent 655 wrote in post #12428311 (external link)
I do know that with CDR that the lifespan is no where near as long as you would think. After 5 or so years many of the old CDR disks will start to fail and not be readable! I am not sure how long a DVD or Bluray would last, but I would imagine much longer....

Gold Archive DVDs & CDs (external link)

Tom

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

May 17, 2011 16:43 |  #14

mdvaden wrote in post #12428507 (external link)
...Right now, this is what I have set up, with 2 hard drive, and a DVD / CD writer. And room for at least two more internal drives.

Yikes, that must be a bear to keep looking clean inside! :eek:

DANGER, WILL ROBINSON... it looks like your My Book is about to fall of the edge! ;)

BTW, have you translated the Morse code cooling slots on that My Book?

Tom

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,458 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 17, 2011 19:00 |  #15

RTPVid wrote in post #12428580 (external link)
Yikes, that must be a bear to keep looking clean inside! :eek:

DANGER, WILL ROBINSON... it looks like your My Book is about to fall of the edge! ;)

BTW, have you translated the Morse code cooling slots on that My Book?

Never noticed the Morse Code slots. The case takes about 10 minutes of cleaning every 6 months, using a soft bristle paint brush to loosen tucked away dust and a can of air. It actually keeps me on track to clean on schedule better than when I had a metal case to ignore.

Surprising to see the products available.

Stands to reason that there should be "archival" quality discs.

:D

sponsored links

2,856 views & 0 likes for this thread
Anyone use a Blu-ray writer for image backup?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.