Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 17 May 2011 (Tuesday) 18:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Seeking Logo Advice (artist vs graphic designer)?

AcidDevelopment
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 17, 2011 18:16 |  #1

Hello POTN,
First time poster here but long time follower. I have a few questions regarding logo design and thought I'd ask for your help.

First let me clarify I'm not really looking for a logo (picture) per se, just a unique and original font of my business name. I've created a basic example using multiple fonts online and am looking for someone to make it unique and perhaps simplify it for clarity issues.

My question regards; do I take my example to an artist (I have a few tattoo artists in mind) or a graphic designer? If I take the logo to be drawn ($150/hr), what's the process to get the logo on the computer ready for business cards, website, etc..? I must admit my photoshop skills are extremely limited so I'd have to pay if further processing needs to be done. Please keep in mind, money is an object and I'd hate to pay twice if I can avoid it ;) Thanks in advance and looking forward to the advice.

sponsored links
Hikin ­ Mike
Walkin' Like a Penguin Now!
6,354 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2005

May 17, 2011 18:20 |  #2

Graphic designer. They convert that into a vector file, usually using Illustrator, so you can re-size it as big or small as you want.

Images in the Backcountry (external link)
Canon 5D 17-40 Ճ/4L 300 Ճ/4L IS 70-200 Ճ/4L 50 Ճ/1.8 1.4x TC Օ Kenko Ext. Tubes

charro ­ callado
Goldmember
1,144 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

May 17, 2011 18:21 |  #3

logomyway.com

make a $200 or so contest, give some info about your business and what you are looking for, and sit back and watch. My buddy and I just used it last month and we got over 300 submissions competing for a $300 prize. Granted, only about a dozen were top notch, but try getting that many distinct designs from a pro...it won't be $300.

The ­ Stig
213 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 17, 2011 21:34 |  #4

charro callado wrote in post #12429185 (external link)
logomyway.com

make a $200 or so contest, give some info about your business and what you are looking for, and sit back and watch. My buddy and I just used it last month and we got over 300 submissions competing for a $300 prize. Granted, only about a dozen were top notch, but try getting that many distinct designs from a pro...it won't be $300.

Funny. People talk about doing similar with photographers and everyone here goes nuts......

www.LensArtwork.com (external link)
www.flickr.com/photos/​lensartwork (external link)
www.MeltedRubber.com (external link)

My website, Flickr, and blogs

charro ­ callado
Goldmember
1,144 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 17, 2011 22:54 |  #5

The Stig wrote in post #12430270 (external link)
Funny. People talk about doing similar with photographers and everyone here goes nuts......

i've been on both ends. i've held a contest on logomyway and i've participated in several on zooppa (which is for videos).

you can't fight crowdsourcing. if you have a big budget and you want the more personal connection with your designer, then yeah - get a pro who will meet with you in person and do nice presentations. but if you're strapped for cash, that's just not an option. the big guns aren't going to even return your calls for $200.

i'm always amazed by the amount of people who think photography or graphic design or whatever is or should be somehow immune from the free market.

proimages
319 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 18, 2011 04:09 as a reply to  @ charro callado's post |  #6

ink is ink..tat artists have a loose style and are creative..if you can get it in vector
first choice..once on paper get a graphics guy to convert to vector..once solid in black and white..photoshop and or illustration time!! an simple icon is never simple!!

also
Logo's by walmart mentality - new price of a logo is sub $200 -
then everyone will start underbidding that figure..slippery slope..

get what you pay for..was the rule but crowd source competitions..keep
grabbing from the client pool that just wants a deal, it will eventually destroy the middle class designers and the high end will just get smaller.

Remember those middle class designers might have hired you, now they are forced to istock!!

Funny people don't see when they are directly effecting their own destinies..Just keep shopping at walmart with a big smile and don't see all the local business disappearing..keep pinching the middle class..

walmart has its worst year ever last year..what happens when they pack up and no stores are left in your towns??

just food for thought!!
cheers
Darrin

Proimages.com (external link) - DarrinNupuf.com (external link) - Nupufnudes.com (external link) - video stock (external link)

The ­ Stig
213 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 18, 2011 22:39 |  #7

^ Glad to see someone else gets it.

www.LensArtwork.com (external link)
www.flickr.com/photos/​lensartwork (external link)
www.MeltedRubber.com (external link)

My website, Flickr, and blogs

Convex ­ Creative
62 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 19, 2011 20:50 as a reply to  @ The Stig's post |  #8

Im going to get ten shooters from here to capture my wedding in September. Based on the images I see I will pay one of them (poorly) and keep the rest of the photos.

Hire a designer. Your business will thank you.

www.convexcreative.com (external link)

sponsored links

1,558 views & 0 likes for this thread
Seeking Logo Advice (artist vs graphic designer)?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.