Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 06 May 2011 (Friday) 17:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Guestimate on when lens prices will drop

0.0f
179 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 18, 2011 01:27 |  #31

i think that when supply and manufacturing issues are sorted there could be a spate of deals being offered on items. as the companies will want to recoup lost revenue and so will want to move stock.

EOS 5D MK3 - 24-70 MK2

sponsored links
mikeassk
Goldmember
2,329 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 18, 2011 01:30 |  #32

Zivnuska wrote in post #12371919 (external link)
The rapture is predicted for 6pm on May 21 but I'm not sure how that will affect prices. :(

Heck, even if that guy is wrong, the Mayans have it all ending at the end of next year.

We all should live, shoot and post process now.

Phil

Eastern or pacific?

Stuff

denoir
Goldmember
1,152 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 18, 2011 07:08 |  #33

You guys in the US shouldn't complain. You have the benefit of low (if any) sales tax & import duties and a large used market. Compared to what we have here in Sweden you have it very good.

Let's take an example - the 70-200/II. If we compare two large online retailers B&H (US), Cyberphoto (Sweden):
B&H: $2499
CP: $3495

That's more than a difference of $1000. And you have a big used market that is calibrated against the US retail prices. The Swedish used market is much smaller so it's more difficult to buy and sell used lenses. Buying a lens in Sweden and selling it used in the US means accepting a serious loss. Buying in the US and importing it is not an option either as you get custom duties and VAT added to the price which lands the total cost slightly above the Swedish retail price.

And if you think this is just Japanese lenses, think again. Take the Leica 50/1.4 Summilux ASPH. It's designed and produced in Europe (Germany) by a European company. Yet we pay more for it because of the various taxes that are added to the price.

US Price: $3,700
Swedish price: $4,500
German price: $4,200

Luka C.D| My photos (external link) | My videos (external link) | My Cameras & Lenses

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,005 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

May 18, 2011 07:19 |  #34

CanonGrl01 wrote in post #12361377 (external link)
Though trivial in comparison to the tragedy of the Japan earthquake, this whole lens price increase really sucks. Seems I got into photography at exactly the wrong time. I am ITCHING for:

Primes: 85; 35; 135
Zooms: 10-22; 17-55 (or Sig 17-50/Tam 17-50); 70-200 f/4 IS or 2.8 IS

So when do yall think things will get a little back to normal, or is the rebuilding of a nation and it's companies overnight too much to hope for.

Should I be realistic and just buy now? No I don't have a rush except now that I'm learning what I'm doing, I see the potential in investing in good glass, that plus this tax refund check is burning a hole in my pocket.

The impacts to Japan will be felt for a very, very long period of time, and no there is no overnight rebuilding. Just buy for the moment, and stop trying to time the market or pricing structures. You are guaranteed that prices will continually go up from this point forward in the US, and also globally to some extent, and never come down.

Just wait until the long-term healthcare costs hit Japan due to the radiation seeping into everything, which will have its toll on current and future generations. :(

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

nuffi
926 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 18, 2011 09:23 |  #35

Lens prices will fall when the dollar gets stronger against the yen once again.

Might be a couple of years the way things are looking at the moment.

CanonGrl01
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,369 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 18, 2011 11:58 |  #36

denoir wrote in post #12432383 (external link)
You guys in the US shouldn't complain. You have the benefit of low (if any) sales tax & import duties and a large used market. Compared to what we have here in Sweden you have it very good.

Let's take an example - the 70-200/II. If we compare two large online retailers B&H (US), Cyberphoto (Sweden):
B&H: $2499
CP: $3495

That's more than a difference of $1000. And you have a big used market that is calibrated against the US retail prices. The Swedish used market is much smaller so it's more difficult to buy and sell used lenses. Buying a lens in Sweden and selling it used in the US means accepting a serious loss. Buying in the US and importing it is not an option either as you get custom duties and VAT added to the price which lands the total cost slightly above the Swedish retail price.

And if you think this is just Japanese lenses, think again. Take the Leica 50/1.4 Summilux ASPH. It's designed and produced in Europe (Germany) by a European company. Yet we pay more for it because of the various taxes that are added to the price.

US Price: $3,700
Swedish price: $4,500
German price: $4,200

And if we compare Sweden and the U.S. to third world countries average salary to the price of lenses anywhere, we should both count our lucky stars.

But this lens is about me. ME. Ok?!?!?!?

Just kidding. I was trying to figure out if I should wait for lenses to drop, maybe they're cheaper during certain seasons, or the rebates come out at specific times, but I think I'm better off buying a lens whenever I really need it. It's a crazy idea, I know, but I think I'll try it.

5Dii | 35L | 85 1.8 | 135L | 430EXII
T2i | 50 1.8 | 18-55 | 55-250

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

May 18, 2011 19:43 |  #37

CanonGrl01 wrote in post #12433906 (external link)
And if we compare Sweden and the U.S. to third world countries average salary to the price of lenses anywhere, we should both count our lucky stars.

But this lens is about me. ME. Ok?!?!?!?

Just kidding. I was trying to figure out if I should wait for lenses to drop, maybe they're cheaper during certain seasons, or the rebates come out at specific times, but I think I'm better off buying a lens whenever I really need it. It's a crazy idea, I know, but I think I'll try it.

Define "third world countries" ?

This term is no longer being used since the collapse of the USSR.

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

CanonGrl01
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,369 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 18, 2011 21:02 |  #38

I suppose the proper term would be developing countries, but that's so broad, most people associate 'third world' with 'countries in need' so I went with the common misconception rather than delve into a more thorough discussion.

My point was, I'm not complaining it was a simple question, the poster I quoted made a post irrelevant to the original question, so I came back with the same, as an example. Now we're veering farther off topic by discussing terms, definitions, etc. Fun times for all.

5Dii | 35L | 85 1.8 | 135L | 430EXII
T2i | 50 1.8 | 18-55 | 55-250

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

May 18, 2011 21:04 |  #39

Given that the Rapture is scheduled for this Saturday...

Prices will fall considerably on Sunday. ;)

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

May 18, 2011 21:17 |  #40

CanonGrl01 wrote in post #12437024 (external link)
I suppose the proper term would be developing countries, but that's so broad, most people associate 'third world' with 'countries in need' so I went with the common misconception rather than delve into a more thorough discussion.

My point was, I'm not complaining it was a simple question, the poster I quoted made a post irrelevant to the original question, so I came back with the same, as an example. Now we're veering farther off topic by discussing terms, definitions, etc. Fun times for all.

Developing countries is a much better and less derogatory term.

Yes,, consumer product prices is often indexed to inflation, salaries and supply and demand. Import tax also has a huge bearing.

For example, six months ago an EOS 550D with kit lens was around 1000USD here in Vientiane. Now the very same camera in the same shop is 1200USD. In Nong Khai, 25 klms across the border in Thailand, an EOS 550D with kit lens is around 900USD and has been for nearly a year, look around and you'll find one a bit cheaper. Also, wages in Thailand are higher than in Laos.

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

kenh
48 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Nov 2005

May 18, 2011 22:15 |  #41

Just hope that they do not try to off set the loss of production in Japan by moving to China.

7D MKll
40D

17-55 f2.8 IS
Tokina 12-24 17-85 f4-5.6 IS 70-300 f4/5.6 IS
580EX

sponsored links

4,616 views & 0 likes for this thread
Guestimate on when lens prices will drop
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.