Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 18 May 2011 (Wednesday) 09:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Corrputed Images or is it something else?

Mike ­ T.M.
520 posts
Joined Sep 2005

May 18, 2011 09:52 |  #1

Okay here is my concern/(sm) dilemma , which might take long to explain- So, here we go:
I’ve been having problems lately with what I think is my compact flash cards and or my “on board” card reader”, and or external drive, which is starting to freak me out cause I can’t tell. Here is what HAS happened in the past few shoots. After shoot a wedding…portraits, whatever, I DL my cards to and external Drive (Toshiba) , from there I’ll open CS4 (mostly 25-75) images at a time. Once the images start to populate (on the right side in RAW) there are some images that have vertical colorful lines that shows up to. And, sometimes when I click on the image on the previewer the lines seem to correct themselves, in other words the image writes correctly and the lines go away.
Okay – recap; so I shoot some stuff, copy cards over to external drive: images look CRAZY (sometimes) in CS4, and in DPP and I work through it.
So, last week (5/7/11) I shot a wedding and on 5/8/11 I DL the cards over to the external , which I previewed them in DPP afterwards , I think ? So, on the following weekend 5/14, I’m working on the images in CS4, without any problems; images look fine work flow is good…however, due to storms, I powered down everything. The next day I started back-up and noticed once I opened the files in CS4 I was getting those crazy lines and they didn’t correct themselves once I click on one to make any changes to them, like before. So, I opened up DPP and notice that those too were corrupted( not all, but some and the ones that were had a big X as the file. So, I freaked out and almost SHAT myself, cause I thought I formatted the cards, which I didn’t so all was good cause I still had them J, but still I almost SHAT myself.
So, I called up HP and they said it’s the SW, which I was like…never had this problem before on my older HP?? So, I uninstalled DPP and CS4 and re-installed it. Took some shots and everything seemed to be working correctly, until one image came out crazy in CS4, but no in DPP? So, I then copied the cards to my c-drive and copied the same files to my external drive and still had the one image corrupted, when viewing it in the external drive. I’m hoping someone might have experienced this same thing and might know what the root problems are; whether it’s a CARD, built in t Reader, or the drives? I know this is a lot to take in, but any assistance is GREATLY APPRECIATED! Plus, it’ll let me know if I need to return this PC, or the external drive, or I have bad cards, which by the way are lexar)
Thanks again,
MTM

sponsored links
czynot
198 posts
Joined Sep 2008

May 18, 2011 10:28 |  #2

I am guessing bad card reader. try to pull the image out of the camera with USB cable directly to camera and see if problem still there. If it is a bad card? you wont able to see complete image.

5D MKII, 24-70mm L, 18-55mm IS,70-200mm 2.8L IS, 50mm 1.8, 100mm Macro, 2-580EX

Mike ­ T.M.
THREAD ­ STARTER
520 posts
Joined Sep 2005

May 18, 2011 11:48 as a reply to  @ czynot's post |  #3

See that's why I love this forum...I didn't even think of that!! I'll try to do that tonight and see what happens. So would the card reader mess on the file in both DPP & CS4? Also, is there a free screen shot that I can use to show the image?

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

May 18, 2011 17:12 |  #4

It can be anything in the "chain" -- you can try the above suggestion, but it could also be corruption on the card itself or the external drive. If the direct plug-in approach does work, well good, an alternative is to get an external reader. If it doesn't work, well I kind of lost comprehension of what you were saying -- when you copied the files onto your internal drive did you say they were fine or not?

You would definitely want to try a new card before assuming that the problem is with the external drive.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Mike ­ T.M.
THREAD ­ STARTER
520 posts
Joined Sep 2005

May 18, 2011 18:35 |  #5

Okay so here is what I'm talking about. This is from a Lexar card that I shot last night and didn't format and shot more pics when I got home. The card was DL from the PC card reader first to the External hard drive then to the C Drive. Then I Dl it from the Exter nal reader to both locations and both look the same in CS4, but not in DPP, but when I select the image in CS4 the lines go away...WEIRD, right? It must me the card?

Finally, I put the card back into the camera and opened it form there (pretty cool with win7) CS4 opened up I selected the image and the lines were there, then the image seem to correct itself. So what' s going on? Bad Card? or what?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

May 18, 2011 23:18 |  #6

I'm not sure what we are supposed to be seeing...?

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Mike ­ T.M.
THREAD ­ STARTER
520 posts
Joined Sep 2005

May 19, 2011 07:14 |  #7

tonylong wrote in post #12437756 (external link)
I'm not sure what we are supposed to be seeing...?

The image on the left side of the picture is the image that has these lines in it when I open up all the images in CS4, but once I click on it the image go away on the large preview but not the small preview.

I'm trying to determine what is causing this or what is bad; i.e Card, Card reader (external or pc), Hard Drives (External or Internal) or software?

tkerr
Goldmember
3,042 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 19, 2011 08:27 |  #8

Mike T.M. wrote in post #12439041 (external link)
The image on the left side of the picture is the image that has these lines in it when I open up all the images in CS4, but once I click on it the image go away on the large preview but not the small preview.

I'm trying to determine what is causing this or what is bad; i.e Card, Card reader (external or pc), Hard Drives (External or Internal) or software?

Purge the Cache. Looks like you've got a corrupted thumbnail/preview file, which is stored in a cache directory. If Purge doesn't do it you will probably have to go into the the cache directory and delete all the files in it manually.

HOSTED PHOTO

Tim Kerr
Money Talks, But all I hear mine saying is, Goodbye!
F1, try it you'll like it.

Mike ­ T.M.
THREAD ­ STARTER
520 posts
Joined Sep 2005

May 19, 2011 09:31 |  #9

tkerr wrote in post #12439275 (external link)
Purge the Cache. Looks like you've got a corrupted thumbnail/preview file, which is stored in a cache directory. If Purge doesn't do it you will probably have to go into the the cache directory and delete all the files in it manually.

Okay I'll do this tonight - THANKS
But why would this happen to the images that I downloaded and worked on a week later, then the very next day this would happen to some of the images in CS4 and DPP?

clipper_from_oz
Goldmember
3,042 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined Sep 2005

May 19, 2011 09:32 |  #10

I would do as the other poster said earlier and attach the camera direct to computer via USB. Also...Can original file be viewed on camera before transferring? If it can its most likely the card reader

Clipper
R5, 5DSR,5DMkII,Fuji XPRO1,X-T1&X-T20,Fotoman 6x17cm Large Format Panorama Camera,Mamiya Universal 6x9
Canon EF 16-35mm f4 L, 17mm TSE f4 L,50mm f1.4, 24-70 f2.8 L, 70-200mm F4 L, 85mm f1.8, 100-400mm II L,
EF 400mm f2.8 IS II L, Fujinon XF18mmf2, XF35mmf1.4, XF60mm f2, XF18-55f2.8-4.5, XF55-200f4
Rodenstock, Sinar& Nikkor LF lens for Pano (75,95,150+210mm)
flickr (external link)

Mike ­ T.M.
THREAD ­ STARTER
520 posts
Joined Sep 2005

May 19, 2011 12:22 |  #11

clipper_from_oz wrote in post #12439541 (external link)
I would do as the other poster said earlier and attach the camera direct to computer via USB. Also...Can original file be viewed on camera before transferring? If it can its most likely the card reader

Yes - the image can be viewed via Camera before transferring over to the drivers. However, the card that has this image on it - I transferred it over by both methods i.e. PC card reader and External Card reader, which both resulted the same outcome - which is what the image is above. Then I took the card and inserted in the camera and viewed them that way - (which I opened them up via USB to) CS4 and nothing was there. I'll show more of the corrupted images form this past weekend that started all this to night.

Mike ­ T.M.
THREAD ­ STARTER
520 posts
Joined Sep 2005

May 19, 2011 19:24 |  #12

Okay here are some of the images that I'm talking about....but these lines do not go away after you click on the image.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Mike ­ T.M.
THREAD ­ STARTER
520 posts
Joined Sep 2005

May 19, 2011 19:25 |  #13

one more from the group

HOSTED PHOTO

Mike ­ T.M.
THREAD ­ STARTER
520 posts
Joined Sep 2005

May 19, 2011 19:31 |  #14

Here is one from DPP different card

HOSTED PHOTO

kenjancef
Goldmember
2,282 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jan 2010

May 19, 2011 19:38 as a reply to  @ Mike T.M.'s post |  #15

Not sure if this will help, but I am an IT guy, and I have seen this sort of thing happen with computers with bad video cards or corrupt drivers. Maybe try updating your video card drivers and see. But I assume everything else works ok. I have seen systems that when the video card gets stressed out (yea, I've seen where pictures will stress the card) funky things like that happen. It looks like you have a Windows system.

My other thought would be the card reader too. Maybe try to find another one and see what happens.

Gear List
My Flickr Page (external link)

sponsored links

4,118 views & 0 likes for this thread
Corrputed Images or is it something else?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.