Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 25 Mar 2011 (Friday) 04:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Show us your rigs!

mizer357
213 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 18, 2011 16:16 |  #136

alpharon wrote in post #12426534 (external link)
For your minimal rig, what's the cineroid evf mounted to? And what do you use the redrock microShoeClamp for?

the cineroid is mounted to a microShoeArm (small), with a zacuto zud on the end of it. i like the zuds much better than the redrock microSpuds. the zuds have a hex-screw locking bolt that prevents the zud from slipping off whatever it's attached to. the microShoeClamp is on the hot shoe. it can be used to mount anything that can be fastened to 15mm diameter rods/mounts like zuds and microSpuds.

i like using the setup as pictured. i could put the cineroid on a ball shoe mount, but i find it sits too high off the camera for my liking. the combination og the arm and clamp let the cineroid sit very close to the eyepiece on the camera.

sponsored links
alpharon
463 posts
Joined Aug 2010

May 18, 2011 16:49 |  #137

@mizer357, sent you a PM to discuss it further. Thanks for the info!

R O N P A R E J A (external link) | Twitter (external link)

HansSteinert
419 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jul 25, 2011 21:43 |  #138

I need some advice. I'm about to upgrade my tripod and head.

There are a few options I'm looking at:

Option 1:

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …SOLO_DV_Carbon_​Fiber.html (external link)

+

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …_Vision_Blue_Pa​n_and.html (external link)

Option 2:

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …amera_Support_S​ystem.html (external link)

Option 3:

+

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …Cine_DSLR_Fluid​_Head.html (external link)

I am going to be mounting a Canon 5D Mark II or 60D + lens + a Zacuto baseplate for Z-finder + battery grip + 2 batteries.

I weighed by 60D and with my smallest prime lens, it comes to about 4 pounds 9 ounces.

I also hope to incorporate the Manfrotto 577 quick release system so I can go from Glidecam to tripod. I've already bought 1. I'm hoping that this works. If it does, that should add another 10 ounces.

I'm assuming this will be enough weight for the Vinten Blue to handle perfectly (let me know if I'm wrong).

Anyways, for my needs, which head and tripod combination would you recommend?

Mark ­ II
Goldmember
2,153 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 26, 2011 07:11 as a reply to  @ post 12222603 |  #139

Set up for action ....

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

1DX7D - 40D IR converted Sony RX100,
Canon 85 L II, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, EF 24-105L, 16-35mm f/2.8 II L, 100L & 60mm Macro , Fisheye EF 15mm f2.8, Tokina 10-17

594 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 26, 2011 16:25 |  #140

HansSteinert wrote in post #12822360 (external link)
I need some advice. I'm about to upgrade my tripod and head.

There are a few options I'm looking at:

Option 1:

+

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …_Vision_Blue_Pa​n_and.html (external link)

Option 2:

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …amera_Support_S​ystem.html (external link)

Option 3:

+

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …Cine_DSLR_Fluid​_Head.html (external link)

I am going to be mounting a Canon 5D Mark II or 60D + lens + a Zacuto baseplate for Z-finder + battery grip + 2 batteries.

I weighed by 60D and with my smallest prime lens, it comes to about 4 pounds 9 ounces.

I also hope to incorporate the Manfrotto 577 quick release system so I can go from Glidecam to tripod. I've already bought 1. I'm hoping that this works. If it does, that should add another 10 ounces.

I'm assuming this will be enough weight for the Vinten Blue to handle perfectly (let me know if I'm wrong).

Anyways, for my needs, which head and tripod combination would you recommend?

I'd say go with the Sachtler DSLR head, that thing is beautiful and they make the best heads (imo)

--Jamie
Canon 1DX/Canon 16-35 2,8L/Canon 70-200 4L IS/Canon 24 1,4L II/Canon 50 1,8 II/Canon 15 2,8 Fisheye/
Website (external link) // Facebook Page (external link)

GanEden
99 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Aug 11, 2011 04:46 |  #141
bannedPermanent ban

My humble set up.

Canon 600D with:
Sigma 50mm 1.4 prime lens
Habbycam shoulder mount
Century Optics Matte Box
Rose Stereo Video Mic
Jag35 Monitor X-Finder and hood
small magic arm
silicone focus ring

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Csae
Goldmember
3,350 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 11, 2011 13:09 |  #142

Interesting habbycam shoulder brace...

Feel free to call me Case.
CasePhoto.ca (external link) - FanPage (external link)
-Montreal based Photography.

GanEden
99 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Aug 15, 2011 02:02 |  #143
bannedPermanent ban

Indeed http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=8xfEzXRXgQI (external link)

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 31, 2011 19:59 |  #144

Dont have the field monitor on it in this pic, but it gives a general idea of the tripod rig. Ill take another of the shoulder rig when I get a chance.

HOSTED PHOTO

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

GanEden
99 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Sep 01, 2011 06:09 |  #145
bannedPermanent ban

ben_r_ wrote in post #13032771 (external link)
Dont have the field monitor on it in this pic, but it gives a general idea of the tripod rig. Ill take another of the shoulder rig when I get a chance.

Is that the Proaim matte box? I have that.

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 01, 2011 08:41 |  #146

GanEden wrote in post #13034665 (external link)
Is that the Proaim matte box? I have that.

No, the whole rig is Redrock Micro.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

Raginl3ull
427 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 05, 2011 02:38 as a reply to  @ ben_r_'s post |  #147

Tripod and a monopod is all you will ever need. Tried the whole matte box, shoulder rig deal....too heavy and too long to setup. Anything more than a monopod and tripod are for show IMHO

| Canon 5D Mark II + BG-E6 | Canon 7D | 24-105mm F4 L IS | 70-200mm F4 L IS| 50mm F1.4 | 28-135mm IS F3.5-56 | 430EX II | 580EX II |
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dgatan/ (external link)

Kento
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,207 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 05, 2011 03:14 |  #148

Raginl3ull wrote in post #13052546 (external link)
Tripod and a monopod is all you will ever need. Tried the whole matte box, shoulder rig deal....too heavy and too long to setup. Anything more than a monopod and tripod are for show IMHO

Hmph, I do agree that one can definitly do without a matte box (though it can be helpful if you have it, no doubt about that). I think saying that a shoulder rig is for show is a REALLY silly and a pretty arrogant statement. The shoulder rig is a middle ground between tripod and monopod. You obviously don't shoot in situations that would require one, otherwise you would understand the value of it. Tripods are great for stationary work when you need to support a lot of weight (ie, monitor, external sound + mic, and maybe a top mount LED light). Problem with Tripods is that they take up a lot of space and are a PITA to move around... so you can forget about ever using this for something like a wedding where you need to move in close, really fast, and get close-ups of the vows, rings, ect ect during key parts of the ceremony while remaining discrete. This is where the shoulder rig comes in, you couldn't put all that equipment on a monopod and use it effectively, it would be incredibly top heavy and you would look pretty silly..

Its just great to have the mount-ability of using a tripod with the move-ability of a monopod all wrapped up into one. If you think its too heavy, might be time to start hitting the gym. :lol:

My Tools
-Jesse
Unknown-Studio.com

Raginl3ull
427 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 05, 2011 03:21 |  #149

Kento wrote in post #13052612 (external link)
Hmph, I do agree that one can definitly do without a matte box (though it can be helpful if you have it, no doubt about that). I think saying that a shoulder rig is for show is a REALLY silly and a pretty arrogant statement. The shoulder rig is a middle ground between tripod and monopod. You obviously don't shoot in situations that would require one, otherwise you would understand the value of it. Tripods are great for stationary work when you need to support a lot of weight (ie, monitor, external sound + mic, and maybe a top mount LED light). Problem with Tripods is that they take up a lot of space and are a PITA to move around... so you can forget about ever using this for something like a wedding where you need to move in close, really fast, and get close-ups of the vows, rings, ect ect during key parts of the ceremony while remaining discrete. This is where the shoulder rig comes in, you couldn't put all that equipment on a monopod and use it effectively, it would be incredibly top heavy and you would look pretty silly..

Its just great to have the mount-ability of using a tripod with the move-ability of a monopod all wrapped up into one. If you think its too heavy, might be time to start hitting the gym. :lol:

arrogant is not the word, experience is. I had an indifocus rig for 6 months and used it for 2 gigs. Arms got so tired, could barely use the follow focus while keeping things steady. Like you mentioned tripod for stability, monopod for more flexibility. Why expend all that energy keeping things stable with your arms and shoulders when you can simply do the same with a monopod? Not to mention with only the weight of the body and lens.

Why couldn't you put all that on a monopod? If you think it looks silly, might want to have the vanity levels checked :lol:

| Canon 5D Mark II + BG-E6 | Canon 7D | 24-105mm F4 L IS | 70-200mm F4 L IS| 50mm F1.4 | 28-135mm IS F3.5-56 | 430EX II | 580EX II |
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dgatan/ (external link)

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 05, 2011 03:59 |  #150

There appears to be an element missing here. I use professional shoulder-mounted cameras that one can have sitting on their shoulder for hours, all the while controlling zoom and focus, also the cameras can easily weigh over 10lbs. The key here is balance.

I see it all too often that people get shoulder mounts, and then neglect to make them equally heavy in the back as well is in the front, the rig has to be balanced on your shoulder so that the camera is being carried only by your shoulder and the only thing your hands do is point the device and control the rings, sticks and/or buttons on the lens.

If you actually have to hold the camera, then you're doing it wrong!

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

sponsored links

175,474 views & 9 likes for this thread
Show us your rigs!
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.