Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 19 May 2011 (Thursday) 05:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

T3i: can I fire wireless flash only without built in flash?

stukovx
49 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 19, 2011 05:31 |  #1

Just got my T3i today and wanted to use my 580ex flash wirelessly. Problem is, the only way I can seem to get it to fire is if I flip the built in flash up as well. I've been fiddling around with the settings and there is an option with a little icon which says I should be firing my 580ex only but that doesnt seem to be the case. Worse comes to worse I'll just ghetto mod it and stick something in front of the built in flash to block the light.

sponsored links
aaronhentges
317 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2007

May 19, 2011 05:36 |  #2

thats how it talks to the other flash is through its own output, if setup the light emmited from the on cam flash is not ehough to undermine the off cam flash. so if you block it it will block the wireless feature of the flash

Deltona, Florida

Kechar
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 19, 2011 07:34 |  #3

You'll need a wireless transmitter and receiver to just fire the off camera flash.
Or you may be able to get a remote thing to go in your hot shoe wired to your flash.

flickr (external link) KCharron.net (external link) - 5D mark III (gripped) | 24-70 2.8 VC | 85 1.8 | 50 1.4 | 70-200 2.8L
[LIGHTING: 3 Einsteins, AB400, CyberCommander, 2 VLMs w/2 spare bats, 2 64" PLMs, 24x32 softbox, 22" BD, grids and diffusers, Avenger stands and boom.]

eduardofrances
679 posts
Joined Oct 2006

May 19, 2011 07:53 |  #4

stukovx wrote in post #12438839 (external link)
Just got my T3i today and wanted to use my 580ex flash wirelessly. Problem is, the only way I can seem to get it to fire is if I flip the built in flash up as well. I've been fiddling around with the settings and there is an option with a little icon which says I should be firing my 580ex only but that doesnt seem to be the case. Worse comes to worse I'll just ghetto mod it and stick something in front of the built in flash to block the light.

Does the pop up flash contributes to the exposure? normally it shouldn´t be the case, I´m not that familiar with Canon´s system (used it only a couple of times but with a 1D MKIII and a ST-E2) but check out your user manual to see if there´s such an option.

Some people use a piece of exposed film.

http://flickr.com/phot​os/eduardofrances/ (external link) :D

msowsun
"approx 8mm"
9,288 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007

May 19, 2011 08:01 |  #5

stukovx wrote in post #12438839 (external link)

If you choose the right option, the T3i flash has almost no output when it triggers the slave flash. What "problem" are you experiencing?

If you shoot into a mirror, or wide open at close range and high ISO, you will see some of the light from the trigger flash.

Indoors you can deflect this light and it will bounce off the surrounding areas and still reach the slave.

Mike Sowsun / SL1 / 80D / EF-S 24mm STM / EF-S 10-18mm STM / EF-S 18-55mm STM / EF-S 15-85mm USM / EF-S 55-250mm STM / 5D3 / Samyang 14mm 2.8 / EF 40mm 2.8 STM / EF 50mm 1.8 STM / EF 100mm 2.0 USM / EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro / EF 24-105mm IS / EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS Mk II / EF 100-400 II / EF 1.4x II
Full Current and Previously Owned Gear List over 40 years Flickr Photostream (external link)

Agent ­ 655
98 posts
Joined Jan 2009

May 19, 2011 12:10 |  #6

One of the wireless settings on the 60D (probably the same on the T3i) has an image of the pop up flash: remote flash. You can select that to have just the popup flash, both flash, or wireless only flash.

Even on the wireless only mode the popup looks like it flashes, but that is the trigger flash before the actual exposure.

You can also blance the flash power between the popup and wireless. I like to use the wireless flash off to the side a bit, then dial down the exposure compensation for the pop up to add some fill light.

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
19,366 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Joined Mar 2009

May 19, 2011 12:21 |  #7

That communication flash is not bright enough contribute to the light in the image at all; it is ONLY enough to get the information from your camera to the flash to trigger it appropriately.

If you need longer range, or to trigger remotely in high ambient light conditions, you'll want to get a radio trigger of some sort.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

HughR
999 posts
Joined Feb 2011

May 19, 2011 14:47 |  #8

On my 60D, and I presume also the T3i, the pop-up will trigger my 430EX wirelessly from at least 25 feet away even outdoors with sun on snow. I did the test back in February, and the remote flash fired every time from that distance as long as there was line of sight. Line of sight is not necessary inside in moderate sized rooms, as reflections off walls and ceilings will trigger the external flash effectively.

As others have said above, the pop-up produces far too little light to affect exposures if you set the camera to wireless only. The pop-up can produce modest amounts of fill light if you set the camera to (wireless + pop-up).

Hugh
Canon 60D, Original Digital Rebel (2003)
EFS 15-85mm IS USM, EF 70-300mm IS USM, Tokina 11-16mm
Speedlite 430EX, Speedlite 430EX II,
Qbox 16 pro, Lastolite EZbox 24x24, Lumiquest Softbox III

stukovx
THREAD ­ STARTER
49 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 19, 2011 16:56 |  #9

ahhhh, thanks for all the input everyone, I didn't know the built in flash used a flash to transmit the signal. I thought it would do so without flashing. I'll give it a try and see how it turns out.

Thanks!

sponsored links

10,210 views & 0 likes for this thread
T3i: can I fire wireless flash only without built in flash?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.