Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 17 May 2011 (Tuesday) 10:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Max & Lauren | Wedding

ScottCotton
THREAD ­ STARTER
23 posts
Joined May 2011

May 19, 2011 06:55 |  #16

Thank you, thank you to everyone for their kind words and polite constructive cristicism. I appreciate it a lot! I posted in another forum as well and the "long timerers" just tore me apart and were beyond rude. So... I appreciate the warm welcome :)

www.ScottCottonPhoto.c​om (external link)
www.ScottCottonBlog.co​m (external link)
www.facebook.com/scott​cottonphoto (external link)

sponsored links
johnandbentley
947 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2010

May 19, 2011 08:55 |  #17

Very nice portraits, full of love and emotion...not to mention the great focus, lighting, detail and poses. Lovely!

6D, Sigma 24mm f1.4 art, sigma 85 f1.4 art

JTX
Goldmember
1,777 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Sep 2010

May 19, 2011 11:09 |  #18

Very nice.

http://gallerytx.com (external link)
5DMK3 & 7DMK2 - 10-22, 50mm-1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, 100-400mmL, 70-200 F/2.8L IS II / 270EX, 580EXII  :p
Celestron Ultima 11 Schmidt-Cassegrain

ScottCotton
THREAD ­ STARTER
23 posts
Joined May 2011

May 19, 2011 11:18 |  #19

johnandbentley wrote in post #12439389 (external link)
Very nice portraits, full of love and emotion...not to mention the great focus, lighting, detail and poses. Lovely!

Thank you so much. Appreciate the kind words very much!!

ScottCotton
THREAD ­ STARTER
23 posts
Joined May 2011

May 19, 2011 11:18 |  #20

JTX wrote in post #12440058 (external link)
Very nice.

Thank you!

ReflektionsPhotography
363 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 20, 2011 05:46 |  #21
bannedPermanent ban

These are really great! IF I have to give any kind of criticism for these (and believe me, I'm not good enough to be doing so) I would say the eyes are a little bit too processed for my liking. I'm sure she has beautiful eyes, but man, NOONEs eyes are that white. :D

Canon 5D Mark II, 1D Mark IV, 580EX II x2, PW Flex TT1 & TT5s (x2), Canon 17-40L (for sale), 24-70L (for sale), 70-200L 2.8 mark ii, 135L, 100 usm macro, Sigma 50 1.4,. Software: Lightroom 3, Photoshop CS4. WTB: 16-35 2.8 ii, Sigma 85 1.4

jcolman
Goldmember
2,665 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2008

May 20, 2011 09:41 |  #22

ScottCotton wrote in post #12438994 (external link)
Thank you, thank you to everyone for their kind words and polite constructive criticism. I appreciate it a lot! I posted in another forum as well and the "long timerers" just tore me apart and were beyond rude. So... I appreciate the warm welcome :)

You are confusing "rude" with helpful criticism. If all you want is a "warm welcome" instead of a learning experience you are not taking advantage of all that these forums offer.

You have a couple of very nice photos. However a wedding is more than a few nice shots. You really need to step up the rest of your game if you're going to be successful in this business. I offered some helpful advice and you chose to see it as being "rude'. That is your prerogative but turning a blind eye to the deficiencies in your work won't get you anywhere.

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.com (external link)

jigelow
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Feb 2011

May 20, 2011 10:53 |  #23

Oh, my! These shots are to be remembering me of when I first found my mentor. I was not to be liking his photos, but he suggested I calibrate my Internet browser. I am think it has faulted and I must at calibration again. I am sorry they do not show up nice on monitor that is not calibrated. Perhaps I will be liking them later. I come back later.

ni$mo350
Cream of the Crop
6,011 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 20, 2011 11:15 |  #24

wow she's gorgeous #1 i s a stunner for sure.

-Chris-Website (external link)|| (external link)Facebook (external link)|| My Flickr (external link)|| Follow me!!! 500px (external link) || (external link) 5D mkii || 35L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS MKII || My bank account hates you all :cry:

MSIGuy
369 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 20, 2011 11:29 |  #25

ScottCotton wrote in post #12438994 (external link)
I posted in another forum as well and the "long timerers" just tore me apart and were beyond rude. So... I appreciate the warm welcome :)

Not really. You got quite a few people telling you they were great shots, then you got a couple of people mentioning they might be slightly OOF, and then you got one person complementing your photos and then offering advice on how to strengthen some of the weaker images you had.

You, unwilling to accept advice from someone much older and wiser than you stormed off and posted here...

I wonder how much you'll improve (and there is always room) when all you listen to is, "OMG, your pics are awesome!" over here.

Some cameras, some lenses, plenty of gaffer's tape and beer.

jcu809
411 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 20, 2011 12:32 |  #26

Wow! #1 is awesome. I feel #2, her eyes is a tad to much. But thats just my opinion. Nice editing overall.

Gear List

flashhsalf
115 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 20, 2011 12:39 |  #27

jcu809 wrote in post #12447228 (external link)
Wow! #1 is awesome. I feel #2, her eyes is a tad to much. But thats just my opinion. Nice editing overall.

Oh snap! Criticism! better find another forum to post these.:cool:

Svetlana
Goldmember
3,357 posts
Joined May 2008

May 20, 2011 12:44 |  #28

I think us, as photographers, take any critisism (even constructive) very close to heart and very personal. BUT we do need to hear it. As Zack Arias put it when he was critiquing other photogs' portfolios in his latest Creative Live workshop: "It's not against you as a person or as a photographer". We need to learn to be better. If all a person wants to hear is "wow great job" and gets defensive I stop commenting on his/her posts, end of story.

Back to OP - I love the DOF and the mood of all the images. With 50 1.2 it's hard to nail focus when shooting wide open but I love what 1.2 does to the skin - no further retouching necessary.:) I love the b/w image the most. I'm not on the calibrated monitor at the moment so it's hard to comment on colors, right now to me they seem a tad contrasty. I would love to see more from this wedding.

Canon 7D, 5Dmk2, 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS, Canon 50 1.2L, 35 1.4L, 85 1.8, Canon 16-35L, Canon 100 2.8L IS Macro, Speedlight 580EX II x 2, 430 EX, enthusiasm.:D http://svetlanayanova.​com/ (external link)

Join me on Facebook (external link)! :)

Svetlana
Goldmember
3,357 posts
Joined May 2008

May 20, 2011 12:45 |  #29

flashhsalf wrote in post #12447270 (external link)
Oh snap! Criticism! better find another forum to post these.:cool:

hey, let's all play nice :)

Canon 7D, 5Dmk2, 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS, Canon 50 1.2L, 35 1.4L, 85 1.8, Canon 16-35L, Canon 100 2.8L IS Macro, Speedlight 580EX II x 2, 430 EX, enthusiasm.:D http://svetlanayanova.​com/ (external link)

Join me on Facebook (external link)! :)

ScottCotton
THREAD ­ STARTER
23 posts
Joined May 2011

May 20, 2011 13:10 |  #30

jcolman wrote in post #12446175 (external link)
You are confusing "rude" with helpful criticism. If all you want is a "warm welcome" instead of a learning experience you are not taking advantage of all that these forums offer.

You have a couple of very nice photos. However a wedding is more than a few nice shots. You really need to step up the rest of your game if you're going to be successful in this business. I offered some helpful advice and you chose to see it as being "rude'. That is your prerogative but turning a blind eye to the deficiencies in your work won't get you anywhere.

I absolutely welcome constructive criticism. In fact it has made who I am today. I have trained with some of the worlds top photographers and have been torn apart by them. I actually asked them to judge my images for WPPI.

When I posted those images on the forum I was fully prepared to receive constructive cristicism. You attacked. Told me my lighting was all wrong, I didn't know how to use off camera lighting or I would have,and so on. Your recommendation would completely change my style, so I didn't take it to heart. I strongly dislike off camera flash and in fact I think it makes the image look terrible a lot of the time. I prefer shadows and not someone or something who is perfectly lit. It adds drama in my opinion. That's the great thing about our jobs. It is our vision and obviously it all comes down to preference of the client.

I have tried to be polite and take evryones opinions and store them in my memory for later use/thought, but when you attack all I do is dismiss your opinion.

sponsored links

8,471 views & 0 likes for this thread
Max & Lauren | Wedding
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.