Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 20 May 2011 (Friday) 14:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New 5D Classic owner, questions/concerns

BucketMan
936 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 20, 2011 14:49 |  #1

I happened on a used 5D for a great price the other day and couldnt pass her up.

The good news is, I am now the proud owner of a 5D.

The not so good news, she needs a good cleaning. When I first tested it there were some pretty big pieces of dust there, although only really visible above F16. After getting it home I gave it a few good blasts with a rocket blower and that actually helped quite a bit. Only a few minor spots remain and are only really noticeable at F22, which does not concern me.

Second, the viewfinder is a complete mess. Hair, dirt, dust, its nasty! none of it shows in pictures, but it is really distracting. I have looked at a few tutorials, but it seems to be a bit out side my scope of comfort.

Last is the BGE4 grip. The control dial on the grip does not work. All the other buttons work fine. The dial "clicks" fine, no signs of wear. The dial does not control SS, Aperture or the focus point in any mode. The contacts are clean and not corroded, batteries are charged. Im totally lost here. Am I missing something in the CFN menu? All the other buttons work fine and as they should. And yes, the grip is turned on.

Thanks in advance!

| 70D | 70-200LII | 580EXIIhttps://photography-on-the.net/forum/%3Ca%20h​ref=
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Desertrat
453 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 20, 2011 15:29 |  #2

Well being the owner of a 5Dc the dust is an on going problem. If it is only at small F stops ignore it. Mine has spots at 22 and works fine at 5.6 which I mostly use. If the viewfinder has dust buy a replacement focus screen. This has really made mine much better. On the grip,silly question but is the power switch all the way up to the position above the ON position. Good luck.

robertwsimpson
Goldmember
2,461 posts
Joined Jun 2010

May 20, 2011 15:31 |  #3

how much did you pay?!

BucketMan
THREAD ­ STARTER
936 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 20, 2011 15:58 |  #4

Desertrat wrote in post #12448199 (external link)
Well being the owner of a 5Dc the dust is an on going problem. If it is only at small F stops ignore it. Mine has spots at 22 and works fine at 5.6 which I mostly use. If the viewfinder has dust buy a replacement focus screen. This has really made mine much better. On the grip,silly question but is the power switch all the way up to the position above the ON position. Good luck.

Yeah, ive read a few threads about it here and other places. However this issue is way too much, the hair is what gets me! Im not concerned with the sensor anymore, at the apertures I use most 2.8-11 is not visible, out of site out of mind. Not true for the viewfinder however, its always there...taunting me! The screen was replaced with a ee-D grid. Im thinking of removing it and giving it a shot with the rocket blower, but im not going to go any further than that; IE removing screws....

Yes the switch is all the way up. I have tried every possible combination of having the multi-controller on the camera on and off with the grip, none seem to work. This holds true in all camera modes as well. The grip looks in great condition, which is why this confuses me, if there were visible damage or corrosion it might make sense, but this thing looks in great shape...

robertwsimpson wrote in post #12448207 (external link)
how much did you pay?!

$690 for body, grip, battery charger, 2 batteries, ee-D screen, CD's, manual, etc...

flickr (external link)

kelleystar27
195 posts
Joined Jan 2007

May 20, 2011 16:01 |  #5

WOW, you got a GREAT deal...congrats, I love my 5D :)

Kelley
www.facebook.com/charm​edcapturesphotography.​com (external link)
40D, 5D,5D II, 28-75 2.8, 85 1.8, 200 2.8L, 300 2.8L

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 20, 2011 16:02 |  #6

You can try removing the screen and blowing whatever dust is on there. I don't see buying a new screen as necessary. If all the other controls work on the grip then the wheel has got a problem and needs to be replaced. Probably cheaper to buy a new grip. Although I had a Canon grip on my 5D (came with the camera), I've used Phottix grips prior to that and now on my 5D2 and 7D. I don't see any advantage to buying a Canon branded one.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

BucketMan
THREAD ­ STARTER
936 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 20, 2011 16:20 |  #7

bohdank wrote in post #12448381 (external link)
You can try removing the screen and blowing whatever dust is on there. I don't see buying a new screen as necessary. If all the other controls work on the grip then the wheel has got a problem and needs to be replaced. Probably cheaper to buy a new grip. Although I had a Canon grip on my 5D (came with the camera), I've used Phottix grips prior to that and now on my 5D2 and 7D. I don't see any advantage to buying a Canon branded one.

Yeah, im not buying a new screen. Worst case scenario I might get a price to send it to Canon and see what they will charge to clean it. There is also a camera shop here that said they could do it, so, we'll see.

Regarding the grip, my plan was to sell it all along. I like the feel of this camera without it and was going to sell the grip to recoop some of the cost of the camera. Now, im not so sure, id prolly be lucky to get $50 for it, and for that, I might as well keep it...I dunno...

Oh, the Canon grips give you better high ISO than the others...reallt noticeable with the upgrade from BGE2 to BGE2N. :lol:

flickr (external link)

TheBurningCrown
Goldmember
4,882 posts
Joined Oct 2008

May 20, 2011 16:21 |  #8

BucketMan wrote in post #12448358 (external link)
$690 for body, grip, battery charger, 2 batteries, ee-D screen, CD's, manual, etc...

Please tell me you didn't find this great deal from a guy with a Honda on Craigslist...

:p

-Dave
Gear List & Feedback
flickr (external link)

BucketMan
THREAD ­ STARTER
936 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 20, 2011 16:22 |  #9

TheBurningCrown wrote in post #12448477 (external link)
Please tell me you didn't find this great deal from a guy with a Honda on Craigslist...

Nice! No, lol.

Damn that Honda......

flickr (external link)

Fernando
Goldmember
1,628 posts
Joined Jan 2007

May 20, 2011 16:24 |  #10

TheBurningCrown wrote in post #12448477 (external link)

I was about to ask the same thing!

Fuji convert - Ping me if you have any Fuji gear or legacy glass you're moving.

MNUplander
Goldmember
2,527 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2009

May 20, 2011 16:53 |  #11

BucketMan wrote in post #12448468 (external link)
Oh, the Canon grips give you better high ISO than the others...reallt noticeable with the upgrade from BGE2 to BGE2N. :lol:

OK, explain this to a dolt who is not understanding (me...).

Lake Superior and North Shore Landscape Photography (external link)
Buy & Sell Feedback
6D, 16-35 f4 IS, 50 1.2, 100L Macro, 150-600C

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 20, 2011 18:58 |  #12

It was a joke

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

ycp
307 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 20, 2011 21:40 |  #13

That is a great price. I paid lot more when I bought mine around March.

richierich1212
Goldmember
1,628 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2008

May 21, 2011 07:42 |  #14

Yeah you got a heckuva deal! Enjoy

Gearlist ยท Feedback

BucketMan
THREAD ­ STARTER
936 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 21, 2011 08:21 |  #15

MNUplander wrote in post #12448633 (external link)
OK, explain this to a dolt who is not understanding (me...).

Sorry, bad joke. :)

richierich1212 wrote in post #12451586 (external link)
Yeah you got a heckuva deal! Enjoy

ycp wrote in post #12450020 (external link)
That is a great price. I paid lot more when I bought mine around March.

Yes I was happy with the deal. He originally wanted $750, which is still a great price. However the body was filthy, reeked of cigarette smoke (one of my all time pet peeves), the viewfinder was/is a mess and the sensor was rather dirty as well.

It helped being able to take some pics and show him the dirty sensor right there on the spot. Pointing out the additional issues I had helped me barter down some more.

He recently bought a 5DII and is now in love with the video. Now he is lusting after a 7D so he was selling the 5D to fund that purchase, right place and right time for me.

I just gave the camera one heck of a cleaning. She now smells and looks a lot better. The sensor is looking much better with just some rocket blower action. Im going to remove the focus screen today and give that a couple shots with the rocket blower to see if it helps.

Only had a short time to take and DL some pics, but im really liking this camera. I wish it had a rear AF on button, ive gotten really used to it with my 40D. I did change the AE lock to back button focus so it feels a little more familiar.

Just wish I could get this grip issue figured out. Am I missing anything in the custom function menu? Other than that, I have tried everything I can think of to get it to work and the dial still does not control anything.

In the meantime, are there any other tricks/tips with this body?

flickr (external link)

sponsored links

2,149 views & 0 likes for this thread
New 5D Classic owner, questions/concerns
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.