Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 20 May 2011 (Friday) 13:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

WTF CPS?

dave ­ kadolph
"Fix the cigarette lighter"
6,138 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2007
Location: West Michigan--166.33 miles to the Cook County courthouse

May 20, 2011 20:34 as a reply to  @ post 12449677 |  #31

After several less that satisfying conversations with Canon customer service I joined CPS out of self defense--when I call with a concern I can speak with someone that has a level of expertise that can deal with my problem.

Middle age is when you can finally afford the things that a young man could truly enjoy.
Tools of the trade

sponsored links
MOkoFOko
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

May 20, 2011 20:36 |  #32

Unregistered.Coward wrote in post #12447782 (external link)
Really? It accepted my membership and now I've got a pin and a card. A pin they sent FedEx and required my signature.

Guess there really isn't one. Maybe I should have just started another which 50mm lens is best thread.

To qualify, you're also supposed to be a working professional that depends on income generated by your craft (photography). This sounds like more of a hobby for you--so you technically shouldn't qualify... but if they don't ask... :)

My Gearlist

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,108 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

May 20, 2011 20:40 |  #33

That's it, I am buying another L just so I can join CPS! :)

Hopefully I can draw from the resources now available once a member. ;)

Have you even looked at the membership benefits for Silver? Really, what is there that takes away from the professional level photographer, seriously? Oh my, they might run out of CPS cards or pins. The only thing that is there is really the discount on repairs and slightly faster turnaround.

IMAGE: http://usa.canon.com/app/images/CPS/cps_member_overview.jpg

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

The ­ Outlaw
Goldmember
1,212 posts
Joined Aug 2007

May 20, 2011 21:26 as a reply to  @ post 12449446 |  #34

EDIT disreguard most of this.... i typed it then got busy and then worked on it more later and the thread went crazy while i was gone

funny how this guy joins CPS and only gets a free button but gets the cold shoulder but yet those that dont even join cps but just buy the cps goodies (straps, hats, bags) get a pat on the back and the new bought gear becomes a conversation starter.... in public NOBODY but himself is going to have any idea he's a cps member, yet when people see those who bought the cps goodies in public with them you can bet people are going to assume they are members and working professionals. hell the normal joe schmoe on the streets who doesnt know anything about the forums or the cps program may reed canon professional services on some guys bought strap and assume he works for canon....

i love this place and am very thankfull for the knowledge and help but sometimes i just have to shake my head at some of the posts. people belittleing others over gear and prices and elite memberships and all this and that. sometimes it feels like 7th grade. also those of you who continuosly bring up working as a photog for a living every time someone mentions doing a favor or cps or things like that should maybe stop helping those who dont do it for a living improve so they dont have enough talent for anyone to let them shoot for them cheap? or if its that bad and your starving because someone did a free shoot for someone who would have never ponied up the cash for a fancy pro anyway maybe its time to get another job and go back to doing photography as a hobby? i dont do it for a living because i know i couldnt make enough for it to be worth the trouble. i dont do any paid photography work. i dont mean that to be a prick as much as thats what it sounds like im just tryng to point out how little sense it makes to crap on this guy.

BTW those who bought the cps straps i wasnt picking on you just hoping to use you in the example :D im one of you. i didnt buy mine for people to think im a "professional" thats the last thing i want, i just wanted to know what all the fuss was about that everyone loves them so much and found one for $45 shipped new. tbh i dont like it. i've grown to love my tamrac straps that are super soft stretchy stuff with 2 built in cf card holders.

lets all stop the hating and be happy each ;one of us is one less person that you have to worry about robbing you for your gear or thinking your a child molester for being at a kids baseball game with no kid playing :D

Nothing to see here....

mattograph
"God bless the new meds"
7,693 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 20, 2011 21:44 |  #35

#1 I just got my renewal kit -- and like the OP, I was astounded they shipped it signature required. Since I am never home during the day, it was a hassle to wait to sign for my free goodies -- which are cool, but still, they could have left them at the door. Maybe too many got stolen. They have never done this before.

#2 Gear don't mean ****. Never has, never will. I just shot the Kentucky Derby, and some of the best PJ photos came from the local paper girl, who shot the whole thing with a 50D and a 70-300 DO lens. But she knows what shes doing.

Speaking of the Derby, you can't really appreciate CPS and what Canon does for pros in general until you experience their services at an event. Free clean and checks. Get their early enough, and they will hand you a 1DIV, a 500 f4 and a 200 f2, and buy you lunch to boot. I snapped the joystick off the back of my 1D3 on Derby morning, and an hour later I had it back good as new.

Nikon does the same thing, but they only ever seem to be half as busy -- either their stuff doesn't break, doesn't get dirty, or they are outnumbered.

As long as the "casual member" doesn't get in the way of the serious shooter and his needs, I have no problem with someone joining. But if I'm on deadline at the Indy 500, and Im behind you in line because you stopped by the CPS tent to chat about the new 5D3, you'll probably feel me tapping you on the shoulder.

This space for rent.

Mikail
89 posts
Joined May 2011

May 20, 2011 21:53 |  #36

mattograph wrote in post #12450031 (external link)
#1 I just got my renewal kit -- and like the OP, I was astounded they shipped it signature required. Since I am never home during the day, it was a hassle to wait to sign for my free goodies -- which are cool, but still, they could have left them at the door. Maybe too many got stolen. They have never done this before.

#2 Gear don't mean ****. Never has, never will. I just shot the Kentucky Derby, and some of the best PJ photos came from the local paper girl, who shot the whole thing with a 50D and a 70-300 DO lens. But she knows what shes doing.

Speaking of the Derby, you can't really appreciate CPS and what Canon does for pros in general until you experience their services at an event. Free clean and checks. Get their early enough, and they will hand you a 1DIV, a 500 f4 and a 200 f2, and buy you lunch to boot. I snapped the joystick off the back of my 1D3 on Derby morning, and an hour later I had it back good as new.

Nikon does the same thing, but they only ever seem to be half as busy -- either their stuff doesn't break, doesn't get dirty, or they are outnumbered.

As long as the "casual member" doesn't get in the way of the serious shooter and his needs, I have no problem with someone joining. But if I'm on deadline at the Indy 500, and Im behind you in line because you stopped by the CPS tent to chat about the new 5D3, you'll probably feel me tapping you on the shoulder.

Its pretty obvious that people are trying too hard when you see a cps strap with a rebel and a 55-250.

Whats better? Dropping a few grand on new equipment to 'look pro' or getting a strap that says 'pro' on it?

5Dc + 17-40L f/4 + 50 f/1.8 + 70-200L f/4 IS

mattograph
"God bless the new meds"
7,693 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 20, 2011 21:58 |  #37

Mikail wrote in post #12450072 (external link)
Its pretty obvious that people are trying too hard when you see a cps strap with a rebel and a 55-250.

Whats better? Dropping a few grand on new equipment to 'look pro' or getting a strap that says 'pro' on it?

The strap. Definitely the strap.

Of course, I usually sell mine, so my motives are selfish! :)

This space for rent.

mikewinburn
Goldmember
1,609 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 20, 2011 22:02 |  #38

DiMAn0684 wrote in post #12449393 (external link)
...If John Smith J.D. is able to spend $25k/yr on cameras and lenses for his wknd photo hobby Canon will gladly let him have a CPS status to make him feel like a more valuable customer.

I wish that were true... i tried to get in based on gear and week-end paid gigs, but got an email noting it didn't qualify... I sent notice back asking for a "Bronz level" for those in my shoes.... no word back on it, though. (I didn't expect them to reply)

[I wanted the discount on service :) ... I think it's fair ethically since i've invested much, and spend a lot of time taking photos for others (and paid), so if I'm having a problem with my gear, i hope to have quality service...not just general service... we all know we non CPS folks call into Customer service/Tech Support with real issues, and usually get answers that seem like they just read it off the script and didn't bother to think through the issue...sad. So, hence, my comment, I wish that were true...]

Gear: The Official Gear List / Market Feedback / Sig thread #2468
flickr (external link)
WinburnCreations (external link)

richierich1212
Goldmember
1,628 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2008

May 21, 2011 00:17 |  #39

I don't really care about the CPS goodies, I care more about the CPS discounted services / borrowing of the bodies.

Gearlist ยท Feedback

twixraider
114 posts
Joined May 2011

May 21, 2011 01:27 |  #40

mattograph wrote in post #12450105 (external link)
The strap. Definitely the strap.

Of course, I usually sell mine, so my motives are selfish! :)

where can i get one. I really want one :lol:

Super Rebel, | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, | EF 70-200mm f/4 L IS, |EF 50mm f/1.8 II, |Canon 580EX II.

LeeRatters
Cream of the Crop
5,218 posts
Joined Aug 2009

May 21, 2011 03:36 |  #41

twixraider wrote in post #12450966 (external link)
where can i get one. I really want one :lol:

i'm going to get the kids to write 'Canon' & 'CPS' on my optech strap with felt tip pens :)

>> Flickr << (external link)

>> Instagram<< (external link)

DAMphyne
"the more I post, the less accurate..."
2,156 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2003

May 21, 2011 07:06 |  #42

OK, I'll confess.

I get Rangefinder Magazine, and I'm not a pro.

Man, that feels good to get that off my chest.

David
Digital set me free
"Welcome Seeker! Now, don't feel alone here in the New Age, because there's a seeker born every minute.";)
www.damphyne.com (external link)

cloose
691 posts
Joined Nov 2006

May 21, 2011 10:42 |  #43

Interesting thread......

I am a CPS member (Canada). I have a day job. Yes I make money off photography, but no where near the day job (it's a really good day job ;))

I joined CPS both for the expedited service on cleaning and repairs, but mostly for the discount on gear purchases we get up here.

And yes, I use the strap ('cause it is really very nice)

http://craigloose.com (external link)

csshih
196 posts
Joined Feb 2011

May 21, 2011 11:24 as a reply to  @ cloose's post |  #44

You know, a few months ago I thought that CPS meant child protective services.

...moving on.

Craig

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

May 21, 2011 20:41 as a reply to  @ csshih's post |  #45

Everyone is looking at what it used to be which I guess is human nature. Personally I wish that they had left it the way it was. It has gone from Canon recognizing their professional community to something that Canon saw a way to grab some cash from the users at large. Canon Canada recently circulated a survey to solicit our opinions on how we felt the program was now, what would we like to see changed, added and so on. I gave them my full attention and they probably didn't like what I had to say. The new CPS program is in its infancy and it is going to take some time for them to work out the inadequacies in it. In Canada there are two levels with the lesser of the two still being 100.00 per year. I opted for the higher level for a number of reasons but it is also 265.00 a year. There are many differences from country to country and it is obvious that Japan home office has let the national offices do their own thing on this.

Rather than worry about what it was (it will never be that way again) those that are upset with it should communicate this to their CPS offices. I don't see the reason to get worked up because Canon sent the OP a package by courier, more than likely a company policy and I can understand that having worked in a large corporation like that at one point. It is hardly worth the in fighting that is going on in here. Sure I would like to be getting what I did a year ago for nothing but you move with the times. Examine the cost benefit of the levels in the program and get on with life.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

sponsored links

7,227 views & 0 likes for this thread
WTF CPS?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.