Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
Thread started 31 Oct 2010 (Sunday) 10:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How many DSLR users use compacts too?

djohnfot
174 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 01, 2011 22:19 |  #106

I'll usually have a compact with me even when I'm using my EOS. It's usually the Powershot A495 but sometimes the old Sony DSC-W5, which has a bigger sensor (1/1.8) and dead-on color.

sponsored links
PaulRivers
193 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 04, 2011 15:57 |  #107

I tried using my cell phone as the more portable camera, but I consistently ran into one issue - indoor lighting.

I've owned a couple of smartphones, and none of them had a flash worth a dang. They were either underpowered or would blow out the picture entirely, the cameras never seemed to do a good job with white balance with them giving me terrible colors, and the sensor and lens were never good enough to get any pictures of people without the flash. Maybe the iPhone is better...but I did an image search and could only find 1 picture from the iPhone using the flash. It looked a lot more promising than I expected, but when I looked at the exif info the shutter speed was 1/15 - way to slow. If anyone knows of a site where I'd see more real world examples of flash with the iPhone I'd be interested.

With an s95 I usually have a choice between a no-flash picture with some noise, or a well exposed picture with flash with good colors, exposure, though it uses the flash (though I customized the C mode to do flash shots at iso80).

I just couldn't get almost anything useable out of most of my photos with a cell camera once the sun went down...during the day the pics from the cell were almost always "good enough", but once the light level dropped it just wouldn't work in my own experience...

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 06, 2011 13:07 |  #108

I do. I have a 5D2 and an S95 right now. I ALWAYS own a point shoot as there are WAY too many times in my life its just not practical to carry my DSLR equipment. I need something as high quality as possible and compact so that I can have it with me whenever. On top of that its needs to be "operatable" by others so I can be in some pics too! Most people dont understand how to use DSLRs nor would I want them touching mine!

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

Simon_Gardner
Goldmember
1,307 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 06, 2011 13:48 |  #109

ben_r_ wrote in post #12360001 (external link)
Most people dont understand how to use DSLRs nor would I want them touching mine!

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i754.photobucke​t.com …r/2_original_ic​on_lol.gif (external link)

@Simon_Gardner | Since 27 Nov 1987 | Tripod fetishist - moi?

TIGR
105 posts
Joined Oct 2008

May 06, 2011 14:54 |  #110

The only compact I have is an old PowerShot A520 and I have no desire to either carry it with me, or get a newer one. There are things I see that I'd like to photograph when my DSLR isn't handy, but if I were to photograph them with anything less, I'd likely spend an inordinate amount of time crying over how much better they could have been if they had been taken with the right camera. :p The bigger issue is that I'd rather put the money a compact would cost toward more DSLR equipment, lenses, etc.

Bang ­ Bang ­ Boy
Goldmember
1,347 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 08, 2011 10:15 |  #111

I have a Canon IXUS that I load with APC film from time to time, pretty nice little thing from 01 or 03.

But usually I just lug around my damn SLR's. Been looking at a good compact but for the price of a good compact I have 1/4th of the price of an L lens or perhaps the whole price of a good zeiss.

Lots of old stuff but hey I am a student
Photojournalist in Johannesburg.

Iancentric
714 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2011

May 10, 2011 15:44 |  #112

i nearly always have a compact with me, right now I am using a SD1200, (It was cheap, $99). Even if i am carrying a DSLR. I have been out shooting birds or something with a long lens on then something close will grab my attention, It's easier to pull the compact out of my pocket then go digging through my bag for a different lens. The other way as well, I have on a uwa, then suddenly need telephoto.

And I must admit I don't want a DSLR hanging around my neck everywhere I go. One day I will step up to a better compact, Probably a S95. But right now I'm saving for some Kenko extension tubes.

Ian

Ian
Flickr (external link)
Tumblr (external link)
instagram (external link)

ranger50
Goldmember
1,212 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 11, 2011 19:33 |  #113

I have a 7D, and a 60D. I carry my Powershot A 1200 everywhere I go. I use my DSLR's a lot too, but hate dragging them all around with me. So, this little baby does a fine job when I want to catch something while I am out without the DSLR's.;):D

EOS 60D/ 70-200L/ Sunpak PF30X/ Sunpak 6600PG platinum Plus ball head Tripod 59.95 / Pelican S.S. Large Military Camera case
It's better to have it and not need it, Than to need it, and not have it.;)

PaulRivers
193 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 11, 2011 20:19 |  #114

Bang Bang Boy wrote in post #12369923 (external link)
I have a Canon IXUS that I load with APC film from time to time, pretty nice little thing from 01 or 03.

But usually I just lug around my damn SLR's. Been looking at a good compact but for the price of a good compact I have 1/4th of the price of an L lens or perhaps the whole price of a good zeiss.

lol, yes, you could get 1/4th of a lens - or an entire camera. One of the two - I'm pretty sure - will take a complete picture. :-D

Titaniumpete
82 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 12, 2011 20:01 |  #115

I've had the Fuji X100 for several weeks now and I can't believe how many snaps i've taken - it's with me all the time. I'm absolutely loving the freedom and quality this compact delivers.

| 50D | Grip | Fuji X100 | Canon 24-70 f/2.8 L | 50mm f/1.4 | 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 | 70-200mm f/2.8 IS mk1 | 430 EX II | Synology 211 NAS
"i think my ambition exceeds my ability"
Peter

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 12, 2011 21:34 |  #116

ben_r_ wrote in post #12360001 (external link)
I do. I have a 5D2 and an S95 right now. I ALWAYS own a point shoot as there are WAY too many times in my life its just not practical to carry my DSLR equipment. I need something as high quality as possible and compact so that I can have it with me whenever. On top of that its needs to be "operatable" by others so I can be in some pics too! Most people dont understand how to use DSLRs nor would I want them touching mine!

That's so true.

When I took the family to Disney and asked people to take a picture I'd have it all set up. I'd say, "just push the button."

The didn't even realize there was a viewfinder on the T2i.

Now I hand it to them with live view on (and hope they don't drop it).

Thank you. bw!

audiobomber
85 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 20, 2011 09:47 |  #117

Titaniumpete wrote in post #12398929 (external link)
I've had the Fuji X100 for several weeks now and I can't believe how many snaps i've taken - it's with me all the time. I'm absolutely loving the freedom and quality this compact delivers.

The quality is hardly surprising, since it has a newer and slightly larger sensor than your 50D. The X100 has an APS-C sensor, not what most people would consider a compact.

aero.nz
215 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 22, 2011 06:29 |  #118

Picked up a IXUS 220HS in duty free on a business trip last week, ended up using it alot - great little camera, will live with me permanently I think!

EOS RP| EF50mm F1.8 STM | Manfrotto 190Pro+804 head
flickr (external link)

JimiJam
103 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 24, 2011 04:01 |  #119

Just ordered an S95! Got sick of not being in photos; being unable to give dslr to a random person and have them operate it; and, well, not having something portable.

Hopefully it's small/simple enough for wifey to make some use of too :) Though it's not as pretty as many of the other compacts..

[Canon 6D, EOS M, 550 EX] [24-105mm f/4 L IS, 70-200mm f/4 L IS, 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS, 50mm f/1.4, EF-M 22mm/2]

Simon_Gardner
Goldmember
1,307 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 24, 2011 04:46 |  #120

JimiJam wrote in post #12468205 (external link)
Just ordered an S95! Got sick of not being in photos; being unable to give dslr to a random person and have them operate it; and, well, not having something portable.

Hopefully it's small/simple enough for wifey to make some use of too :) Though it's not as pretty as many of the other compacts..

Here's a tip. Order the Richard Franiec grip (external link). Suddenly the S95 stops being so damn ugly.

@Simon_Gardner | Since 27 Nov 1987 | Tripod fetishist - moi?

sponsored links

18,760 views & 0 likes for this thread
How many DSLR users use compacts too?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.