Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 22 May 2011 (Sunday) 08:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need advise for how to travel with airliners

AndersH
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined May 2011

May 22, 2011 08:48 |  #1

Hi all,

Thinking of going to the states this summer, and i need some advises on how to carry my stuff on the flights.

Stuff i'm going to carry;
1x Canon 50D + Tamron 17-50 f2.8
1x Canon 70-300 IS USM
1x Canon 430EX II
1x Apple MacBook Pro 13"
1x Apple iPad

For the carry-on, i have my eyes on the Lowepro Vertex 100AW (external link), which from what i read, should fit my needs just barely.
However, since i probably don't want to bring the vertex along with me all the time, i need something that can hold my camera, an extra lens and my ipad.

I have my eyes on the Think Tank Retrospective 10 (external link), which seems to be ideal for my needs - also for easy access to the camera, in the airports etc..
What worries me most about this bag, is if the airliners would allow me to carry it onboard along with the Vertex.
- Would it be considered to be my "personal item"?

It's really only the airports/airliners that worries me.
My thoughts are to rent a car in Miami and do a road trip around Florida, for something like a week, and then fly to New York and spend another week in the city.

Any ideas/advises?
I have never been in the states before, and never flown with any of the bigger airliners, like KLM or Lufthansa.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards, Anders Hansen;
Canon EOS 50D & 5DC + 24-105mmL f/4.0 & 50mm f/1.8.

sponsored links
snyderman
Cream of the Crop
7,084 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 22, 2011 09:13 |  #2

What is Vertex?

To answer your other questions, spec a camera bag that will fit all your gear and one that you can keep with you at all times. This means small enough to fit comfortably in overhead compartment or under the seat in front of you.

I travel with my gear in a Tamrac Expedition 6 bag regularly. It goes through airport scanners without incident. You will have to take out your laptop and put it in a tote, but all other camera gear can stay in the bag. Airport security has never asked me to open my camera bag for further inspection.

Size your bag appropriately. Pack only what you need. Double check your gear for anything that might pose a security risk. You'll be fine. Enjoy your travels to the US.

dave

Canon 5D2 > 35L-85L-135L

MGW172
503 posts
Joined Nov 2006

May 22, 2011 09:38 |  #3

AndersH wrote in post #12456679 (external link)
Hi all,

Thinking of going to the states this summer, and i need some advises on how to carry my stuff on the flights.

Stuff i'm going to carry;
1x Canon 50D + Tamron 17-50 f2.8
1x Canon 70-300 IS USM
1x Canon 430EX II
1x Apple MacBook Pro 13"
1x Apple iPad

For the carry-on, i have my eyes on the Lowepro Vertex 100AW (external link), which from what i read, should fit my needs just barely.
However, since i probably don't want to bring the vertex along with me all the time, i need something that can hold my camera, an extra lens and my ipad.

I have my eyes on the Think Tank Retrospective 10 (external link), which seems to be ideal for my needs - also for easy access to the camera, in the airports etc..
What worries me most about this bag, is if the airliners would allow me to carry it onboard along with the Vertex.
- Would it be considered to be my "personal item"?

It's really only the airports/airliners that worries me.
My thoughts are to rent a car in Miami and do a road trip around Florida, for something like a week, and then fly to New York and spend another week in the city.

Any ideas/advises?
I have never been in the states before, and never flown with any of the bigger airliners, like KLM or Lufthansa.

Thanks in advance.

It's really pretty relaxed in the States about carry on. As to your question, I will take a Thinktank Airport Acceleration backpack, similar to your Vertex, and another shoulder bag, regularly on board and have never had a problem. Wait to you see some of the carry on people here get away with and you will wonder what you were worried about!

7D | 20D | Canon 10-22 | Canon 15-85 | Canon 70-300 L | Canon 100-400 L

nordlysBW
369 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2010

May 22, 2011 11:09 as a reply to  @ MGW172's post |  #4

As you first have to get on the other side of the Big Pond from Denmark and you mention KLM and Lufthansa, check on their website the number, size and weight of carry-ons they allow.

Once you are safe and dry on the other side and have to board connecting flights in the States things will most likely be more relaxed, but the first leg of your journey will be critical to determine how much you can take with you at all.

Mike22487
172 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 22, 2011 11:41 |  #5

I just flew on a plane earlier this week, I had my clothes in a duffel bag (carry on) and my (personal item) lowepro rezo 180aw with an xsi w/ 18-55 attached, 3 other lenses, 2 flashes, air duster, and wireless triggers, flying from ft. lauderdale to pennsylvania, I have flown out of miami before they are the same as ft. lauderdale

Blurr ­ Cube
...a lucky id-iot that didn't get electrocuted...
15,147 posts
Joined Aug 2010

May 22, 2011 11:49 |  #6

nordlysBW wrote in post #12457164 (external link)
As you first have to get on the other side of the Big Pond from Denmark and you mention KLM and Lufthansa, check on their website the number, size and weight of carry-ons they allow.

Once you are safe and dry on the other side and have to board connecting flights in the States things will most likely be more relaxed, but the first leg of your journey will be critical to determine how much you can take with you at all.

Sound advice. Look up the requirements for the specific requirements on the airlines you use.

One thing to keep in mind that at your port of entry to the States (the first U.S. city you get to) will require you to go through customs. Be patient. They will ask and look for the typical stuff like "meats, fruits, vegetables, etc" to avoid for quarantine purposes. Also, within the U.S. there are TSA requirements on what you can or can't carry-on. You should research that as well.

And yes. Keep your gear/laptop with you as carry-on. Don't check it in and get tossed around in the hold.

| Canon EOS Systems |

AndersH
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined May 2011

May 22, 2011 12:13 as a reply to  @ Blurr Cube's post |  #7

Thanks, i really appreciate your replies!
So it seems like i won't have to worry about the flights in the US.

For the international flights, i'm probably going to use Lufthansa.
They are apparently using the Airbus A380 between both Frankfurt and Miami, Frankfurt and New York :)

Regarding the bags, i have a hard time deciding....
I'm wondering if the Lowepro Vertex 200 AW (external link) is going to be a better fit for the carry-on, than the Vertex 100. According to the dimensions, it should fit the requirements.

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 22, 2011 13:33 as a reply to  @ AndersH's post |  #8

Lufthansia is good, I've flown them many times. I assume you are planning to pick your handgun up once you arrive, I didn't see one listed with your gear.

AndersH
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined May 2011

May 22, 2011 14:01 |  #9

You mean my tripod? It's going with my checked luggage :)

Exposure101
555 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2008

May 22, 2011 14:40 |  #10

I was debating the same thing when travelling to the Caribbeans a few years back. In the end I picked up a Lowepro Vertex 200AW. Here's what I put in it:

Canon DSLR
24-70mm w/hood
70-200mm w/hood
50mm
55-250mm (to lend to someone else later)
Canon 430 EX II
Remote, filters, batteries, memory cards, etc.
Laptop

I brought along a flipside 200 to carry what I need when I go out for the day. As for the tripod, I put that in my checked luggage. For what you're carrying I think the Vertex 100 is fine. I would carry the ipad separately though. Most airlines allow you to have a carry on and also a personal item (like a small bag- laptop bag, camera bag, etc.). I personally wouldn't be comfortable stuffing a laptop AND an ipad in the same slot (unless you're thinking of a different place to put the ipad in).

AndersH
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined May 2011

May 22, 2011 14:55 |  #11

Great, sounds like the 100AW should be sufficient then.
My idea was to load the laptop, lenses etc. in the vertex and then keep the 50d+tamron in a smaller camera bag like the retrospective 5 or 10.

Still wondering though, if Lufthansa would accept it (the retro.) as the personal item, but i guess i will have to take the chance if that's what i decide to bring.

sponsored links

1,754 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need advise for how to travel with airliners
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.