Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 May 2011 (Sunday) 18:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The 7D has too much noise and the focus is poor

this thread is locked
phreeky
Goldmember
3,514 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 22, 2011 19:32 |  #16

Mike55 wrote in post #12459195 (external link)
There's absolutely no still image-related reason to sell a 40D for $400 (or your 50D for $600) and spend another $1200 to get a 7D. I have not seen any improvement at all in daily use. None.

If I had a 40D I probably wouldn't upgrade either, but then I don't upgrade often. I went 300D->20D->7D. I hold onto my equipment longer than a lot of others.

When it comes to AF performance, I wouldn't personally upgrade if I were using centre-point AI servo, or silly enough to let the camera simply choose from all the AF points. The 7D brings certain new features, but if you don't need/use them then it's a waste of money basically.

Anyway there are plenty of people using 7Ds that have owned other bodies that are producing great images and are quite happy with it. So when the odd person comes and complains about the 7D then you can expect most people to suspect it's either user error or a dud camera body.

sponsored links
bigwonton
51 posts
Joined Nov 2004

May 22, 2011 19:35 |  #17

I went from a Digital Rebel to a 10D to a 20D to a 40D and now to a 7D (although I still have my 40D). I liked my 7D so much that I picked up a 2nd one. Just my opinion, but even though the 40D is no slouch, it does not compare to the 7D.

Canon Bodies: Canon 7D (x2), Canon 40D, Canon T2i
Canon Zoom Lenses: EF-S 18-75 IS USM, EF 24-70 f/2.8L USM, EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM, EF 70-200 f/4L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 80-200 f/2.8L, EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
Canon Prime Lenses: EF 28 f/1.8 USM, EF 50f/1.4 USM, EF 50 f/1.8 II, EF 85 f/1.8 USM, EF 200 f/2.8L II USM

Whippeticious
Goldmember
2,302 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 22, 2011 19:42 |  #18

Mike55 wrote in post #12458951 (external link)
That's my conclusion after serious use. The only reason for upgrading over the 50D is the video mode, and it's archaic at best. I'll learn next time I suppose.

Those with 40D's and 50D's, there's nothing to be jealous about. Trust me. Save your cash.

Oooh is there going to be a 7D going cheap? :D

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,887 posts
Gallery: 1718 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

May 22, 2011 19:54 |  #19

Mike55 wrote in post #12459135 (external link)
When shooting dark-colored animals such as horses and bears with the 300 f4 L IS (bare) and Canon bodies, I have a system called "shoot and pray". Hopefully when you get back and look at the images, you'll have two or three out of five hundred that are sharp.

Wow... I at least get 1/3 keeper rates even when I'm panning prop planes at the airshow deliberately slowing shutter speeds to capture the blur. 2 or 3 out of 500? If that was my keeper rate, I'd consider doing something else other than photography.

But yep, 7D will show noise at low iso's. Not terrible noise level but more than its predecessors at the same iso settings. However, that has been extremely well documented by November 2009 so if you're just finding this out, unfortunately for you, it seems you didn't do your research.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

Sdiver2489
Goldmember
2,845 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2009

May 22, 2011 19:56 |  #20

IQ wise I've noticed very little difference between my 50D and 7D. The 7D may have hair more noise at lower ISO, but its negligible. The grain is more "film like" and the high ISO noise is so much improved. There is ZERO banding from what I've seen so far, whereas you could start to see banding on the 50D around ISO3200 if you had dark areas of the image.

Please visit my Flickr (external link) and leave a comment!

Gear:
Canon 5D III, Canon 24-70L F4 IS, Canon 70-300L F4-F5.6 IS, Canon 100mm F2.8L IS Macro, Canon 35mm F2.0 IS, Canon 430EX II-RT, Canon 600EX II-RT

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,887 posts
Gallery: 1718 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

May 22, 2011 19:58 |  #21

Sdiver2489 wrote in post #12459492 (external link)
IQ wise I've noticed very little difference between my 50D and 7D. The 7D may have hair more noise at lower ISO, but its negligible. The grain is more "film like" and the high ISO noise is so much improved. There is ZERO banding from what I've seen so far, whereas you could start to see banding on the 50D around ISO3200 if you had dark areas of the image.

Yeah, but it seems he doesn't shoot over iso800. So that's where the problem is for him. :D

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,383 posts
Gallery: 565 photos
Joined Oct 2008

May 22, 2011 20:00 as a reply to  @ bigwonton's post |  #22

Coming from 30D -> 7D I disagree...

I looked at the 40D and later the 50D as upgrade choices and dismissed them as not good enough upgrades, Neither had the AF I really wanted (IE More than 9 points) and neither was a decent leap in terms of IQ...Better sure, But not a big big difference

While I havnt shot a 50D outside of a camera store, I have shot a T1i, which uses the same sensor on occasion, and I gotta say I personally feel theres a huge difference between the files my 7D puts out compared to it (They were mostly some test shots when i was trying to figure out something, i do not have them handy at the moment but i remember feeling there was a lot of noise at ISO800 and that it really lost dynamic range and contrast up there...) I've never been unhappy with my 7D's image quality, and heck, I've shot it at ISO12,800 before....

I agree the 7D's AF can be...tricky picky and occasionally flat out wrong(See the above "problem" i was trying to figure out, I've since learned how to "massage" the 7D's AF to work the way i desire..and figured out the 7D's AF modes are counter-intuitive), but I still think its better than my 30D or the aforementioned T1i

From the sounds of it, You might have a DEFECTIVE 7D or something, I'm not gonna scream user error, although you have not posted any "examples" to us to look at and perhaps help with your issues or determining if Canon needs to look at the camera, or perhaps its a problem with your lens, Microadjustment or something... I dislike immediately screaming "you are an idiot" because people do it a lot around here and from your post count im assuming you're far from an idiot

Your complaint seemed to be black subjects...Heres some black birds -shrug- Keep in mind flickr added sharpening and that to these..all ISO800

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2465/5748989870_f3259b4755_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …unetsukiphoto/5​748989870/  (external link)
Grackle in a Tree 1 (external link) by Kenjis9965 (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2338/5748441919_ef26439a75_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …unetsukiphoto/5​748441919/  (external link)
Grackle in a Tree 2 (external link) by Kenjis9965 (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2137/5748441803_b05d982cd4_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …unetsukiphoto/5​748441803/  (external link)
Grackle in the Garden (external link) by Kenjis9965 (external link), on Flickr

Heres a black lens at 1600

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5024/5733952223_a1370a3957_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …unetsukiphoto/5​733952223/  (external link)
Tis fine (external link) by Kenjis9965 (external link), on Flickr

And for a lawl, ISO12,800 Rose

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2078/5722794205_5b7e385cdc_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …unetsukiphoto/5​722794205/  (external link)
Soft Rose (external link) by Kenjis9965 (external link), on Flickr

-edit- Oh his complaints are at LOW ISOs? Well...I dunno, I never complain about the noise in my 7D's low ISO images, But I do think the 7D is lacking in dynamic range at low ISO and is very quick to lose its red channel, But I dont think my 30D was really "better" in that area

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

harcosparky
Goldmember
2,430 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

May 22, 2011 20:02 |  #23

Mike55 wrote in post #12459135 (external link)
When shooting dark-colored animals such as horses and bears with the 300 f4 L IS (bare) and Canon bodies, I have a system called "shoot and pray". Hopefully when you get back and look at the images, you'll have two or three out of five hundred that are sharp.

Noise is everywhere. My Rebel XT had far superior noise handling. And so far, the extra focus points and Ai Servo serves no advantage over my 50D and 40D.

The " shoot and pray " method.

What do you pray for?

Good exposure?

Good focus?

I can tell you from my experience if your shooting dark colored objects and your exposure is off, there's gonna be noise.

There's a method that allows you to get beyond that issue though.

Now that I know how to compensate exposure for less than ideal situations I am not seeing the noise I first saw.

Never was a fan of " shoot and pray " .... I mean when I started out in photography, a person could go bankrupt doing the old " shoot and pray ". Even if you processed your own film, it is expensive. So I learned early on to use light meters and compensate for less than ideal situations.

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 22, 2011 20:03 |  #24

Send it to me.
I'll even pay the postage and insurance to take it off your hands.
PM me and I'll give you my address.

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,383 posts
Joined Oct 2008

May 22, 2011 20:04 |  #25

^- it sounds like he's complaining about the AF system in that case

In which instance id have to ask if perhaps his 300mm f/4L IS needs a bit of microadjustment....and what focus mode he's using...

Without settings and examples it hard to help

Mike55
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,206 posts
Joined Jun 2007

May 22, 2011 20:14 |  #26

I bought my 300 F4 IS new a few years back. It's been to Canon three times as it had severe front focus out of the box. Eventually Canon did fix it, but it's never been consistent with dark objetcs such as horses or bears. This is a common complaint, especially over at DPreview. There's no question it could be the lens, but I had similar issues with the 50D and 40D on dark, moving objects( horses, bears). Today's outing really pissed me off, hence the rant. I expect better, and the ridiculous amount of noise at ISO 400 is unacceptable, IMHO.

6D | 70D | 24-105 L IS | 17-40 L | 300 F4 L IS | 50 1.8 II | 1.4x II | LR5 | HV30 | bug spray | wilderness
Gallatin National Forest, Montana (external link)/Lassen Volcanic NP Campgrounds (external link)

Alex_Venom
Goldmember
1,624 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 22, 2011 20:16 |  #27

Which is this world where we live, where a new, expensive camera will demand you to learn how to use it properly?
Paid big bucks for it.. it should do everything for me and give me the results I want independent of environmental conditions, light (or lack of it) and anything else.
Shame on you, Canon! For making a camera that won't take great pictures for me! :D

/Sarcasm

Photography is about GEAR and not talent or practice. Practice won't make you a better photographer. Expensive equipment will. =D
"Nobody can buy a scalpel and become a doctor, but anyone can buy a camera and become a photographer."

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,383 posts
Joined Oct 2008

May 22, 2011 20:18 |  #28

^- Examples would help if you please... I do not have "rediculous" amounts of noise at ISO400...in fact ISO400 is pretty clean and i dont start to see noise till 800 (Though its certainly not obtrusive) 1600 is when noise starts to be a concern to me, 3200 is moderate and 6400/12800 is a very scene dependent ISO...

and DPReview is 99.9% fanboy whining, .1% fact, Keep that in mind....

you also JUST said you had similar issues with the 40D and 50D on "dark moving objects" Ever consider its the -subject- and not the camera?

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 22, 2011 20:24 |  #29

I agree that the 7D has more than acceptable noise at ISO800. I've had to use NR on some of those, even though they ended up web sized. Originally I didn't use any, used to my 5DII workflow, and someone, for the first time, mentioned noise on the 7D images on my web sight. He was right but I haven't re edited them. It shows up in highlights, like skies. I've used NR on 5DII images, once. It was ISO3200 and I had to push it 1.5 stops. Lots of "dark" in this image. I've yet to use NR on 5DII images for print.

I took it to a communion shoot last weekend along with my 5DII to see how it would work out. I ended up using 1 image, the rest were from the 5DII.

The 7D is too much a PITA with the time required in post, imo.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,578 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

May 22, 2011 20:25 |  #30

When I first got my 7D upon its launch, I did a SOOC full ISO spread. Please look at the ISO 400/800 to see if you are getting something similar or much worse? If worse, I am expecting that you are really underexposing your shots, maybe your metering is off?

http://teamspeed.smugm​ug.com …7D-Full-ISO-JPG-Suite-OOC (external link)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

sponsored links

11,470 views & 0 likes for this thread
The 7D has too much noise and the focus is poor
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.