Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Discussion Kids & Family 
Thread started 04 Aug 2010 (Wednesday) 03:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links (only for non-logged)

Ask me what you want.

NJ ­ XSI
109 posts
Joined Jan 2009

May 16, 2011 09:22 |  #421

Great thread. I have twins on the way so I am sure to take advantage of this thread.

Canon XSI/450 D
EFS 18-55mm

daniboo
83 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 22, 2011 21:41 as a reply to  @ NJ XSI's post |  #422

Seona -

I've got a question for you!!! I immediately thought to ask you, since you're our resident Guru!

I just got my first strobe kit, an Elinchrom D-Lite it (2 - 400w/s strobes) http://elinchrom.com …cat=14&base_set​=93#choice (external link). I tested them out this weekend, and used them on a Maternity shoot this Saturday.

I use my dining room as my studio, which is probably about the size that you use in your set up, if not a tad smaller. What I noticed was that even just using ONE strobe, it was TOO BRIGHT! ARGH! I fiddled with the apertures, but had to stop it all the way to f/14 or smaller, just to get it to stop overexposing! I shoot maternity, babies, children, really any portraits, and I really enjoy a large aperture. However, I can't seem to figure out how to get the exposure just right.

I lowered the power of the strobe to the very lowest it would go, and still I couldn't use a big aperture.

Do you have any suggestions? I looked at the kit you use, and I see they are relatively high powered strobes. What do you usually keep them on? How do you get away with using a large aperture without overexposing with the strobe?

Sorry if these are silly questions, but I'm awfully green with off camera flashes! I'd appreciate your insight!

Thanks Seona!

Dani

Canon T2i
Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Canon 28-70mm f/2.8

magwai
Goldmember
1,094 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 23, 2011 07:22 |  #423

Daniboo: have you thought of using an ND filter? I have never tried one for portraits but they work great for sunny landscapes to turn down the light to get a longer exposure. Just an idea, I would like to see what Seona says too.

corosario
173 posts
Joined Sep 2006

May 23, 2011 08:47 |  #424

Are you using a softbox, umbrella or any kind of diffuser? How far are the lights from the subject?

daniboo wrote in post #12460043 (external link)
Seona -

I've got a question for you!!! I immediately thought to ask you, since you're our resident Guru!

I just got my first strobe kit, an Elinchrom D-Lite it (2 - 400w/s strobes) http://elinchrom.com …cat=14&base_set​=93#choice (external link). I tested them out this weekend, and used them on a Maternity shoot this Saturday.

I use my dining room as my studio, which is probably about the size that you use in your set up, if not a tad smaller. What I noticed was that even just using ONE strobe, it was TOO BRIGHT! ARGH! I fiddled with the apertures, but had to stop it all the way to f/14 or smaller, just to get it to stop overexposing! I shoot maternity, babies, children, really any portraits, and I really enjoy a large aperture. However, I can't seem to figure out how to get the exposure just right.

I lowered the power of the strobe to the very lowest it would go, and still I couldn't use a big aperture.

Do you have any suggestions? I looked at the kit you use, and I see they are relatively high powered strobes. What do you usually keep them on? How do you get away with using a large aperture without overexposing with the strobe?

Sorry if these are silly questions, but I'm awfully green with off camera flashes! I'd appreciate your insight!

Thanks Seona!

Dani

Carlos
My Portfolio (external link) :: Sportsduo.com (external link) :: My Blog (external link) :: Flickr (external link) :: Smugmug Referral:
3ZDwrTgBhas9U

My Gear

suecassidy
Goldmember
4,102 posts
Joined May 2007

May 23, 2011 14:41 |  #425

That kit you bought appears to have two softboxes with it, so you can drape extra diffusion material over it and fasten with ??? tape, string, whatever, that will help. You can buy white nylon fabric at any fabric store. I say nylon fabric rather than a white broadcloth because you don't need the added weight. Sounds like you aren't able to bring your lights farther away from your subject?? Have you considered bouncing the light coming from them at the ceiling, or feathering the light by not pointing it directly at the subject? I use those lights for background lights, and wish I'd bought the 200 ws lights instead, for the same reason, but I found that I can get around the problem by adding fabric around the reflector bowl. I'm not always shooting a large space where I have the option of keeping the background lights as far away as I'd like....

Sue Cassidy
GEAR: Canon 1ds, Canon 1d Mark iii, Sony RX 100, Canon 50mmL 1.2, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Canon 100-400L IS, Canon 14mm L, 2.8, . Lighting: Elinchrom Rangers, D-lite 400s, Canon 580/550 flashes. 74 ' Octabank, 27' Rotalux. Editing: Aperture 3

Michelle ­ Brooks ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,192 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2009

May 23, 2011 15:01 |  #426

Could you tell us where you got your honeycomb grid for your softbox? Thanks!

Michelle Brooks Photography (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link)
Gear List

Rissa
57 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 23, 2011 16:12 |  #427

What did i do right and wrong here, this is my first time sharing my picture. Any suggestions appreciated.
No editing done i just cropped it.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

1move
330 posts
Joined Aug 2009

May 24, 2011 12:25 |  #428

Rissa wrote in post #12465017 (external link)
What did i do right and wrong here, this is my first time sharing my picture. Any suggestions appreciated.

I am sorry if I am jacking the thread of the OP but I am going to try and take a stab at it as the OP seems really busy at times.

I think its a great first photo, good positioning of the subject, you got great catch light in the eyes.

A few things I think would do to make it a little better;
-photo seems under exposed
-eyes arent in focus
-used a greater F stop to make sure the baby is in focus but the background is blurred out.
-give it a little more color on the clothing so it has that extra punch

Canon 5D mkIII II 24-70mm f2.8L v. II II 85mm f1.2L vII II 50mm f1.4 II 100mm Macro IS f2.8L II 2 x 580 EXII

pprice
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 24, 2011 16:18 as a reply to  @ 1move's post |  #429

Well, I finally got to shoot a 1 month old baby this morning (first time), for a friend of mine and failed!!! I am going back though as it is now a challenge!!! I know what I did wrong and what I can do better! She was crazy about them, but what does a mother know lol.

1D MKIII 16-35 2.8L MKII 24-70 2.8L 70-200 2.8L [COLOR=black]IS 300 2.8L IS (few others) Bunch of AB lighting
Southern by the grace of God

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
20,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 24, 2011 16:48 |  #430

daniboo wrote in post #12460043 (external link)
Seona -

Thanks Seona!

Dani

Couple of things.

1. Use ISO50 if your camera supports it
2. Lights at the lowest level.
3. ND gels sheets on front of the softbox.

typically 400ws is lot of power for indoor use. My 320ws AB800 will only give me f2.8 at lowest settings. That is why I use AB400 which is only 160ws.

Fuji XT-1, 18-55mm
Sony A7rIV, , Tamron 28-200mm, Sigma 40mm f1.4 Art FE, Sony 85mm f1.8 FE, Sigma 105mm f1.4 Art FE
Fuji GFX50s, 23mm f4, 32-64mm, 45mm f2.8, 110mm f2, 120mm f4 macro
Canon 24mm TSE-II, 85mm f1.2 L II, 90mm TSE-II Macro, 300mm f2.8 IS I

mercersmoments
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,271 posts
Joined Jul 2006

May 24, 2011 17:13 |  #431

Hi Seona,
Could you give me some feedback on these photos? I'd love to know what you think I can do to make them better in post processing, but also what I could do to take better photos like these. These were shot with a Rebel XSI, 50mm 1.8, natural light. I can't upgrade camera or lens just yet, so any ideas to use what I have are appreciated. Thanks in advance. LOVE this thread E

these are so sweet, the first one would look gorgeous in black & white ! The second one, you've missed the focus, try to toggle the focus point to her eyes, I like to set the centre focus point, focus and recompose. otherwise, gorgeous model & lovely composition ! Your lighting is nice too.

Hi Seona,

Love this thread.

Any Advise?

Nope ! You've rocked that lighting set up ! Awesome WB control for shooting on green ! Green is a colour that does my head in ! Me and green and WB hate each other ! lol, gorgeous photo, very boyish backdrop, love the coloured mat. CUTE KID !

To be REALLY picky, if you want to be a perfectionist, I'd move the light away just a little to avoid that hotspot on the side of his face, but you know what - only another photographer is going to notice that !

I have been reading and reading and have yet to post a photo for input.
So, here goes.
I have been really taking into consideration alot of the information posted on here.
I have also realized, I LOVE TAKING NEWBORN PHOTOS!
There is such an innocence and intimacy about them, that when you capture that newborn and it makes mom teary eyed, my job is fulfilled.
(make sense?)
SO, I am open for critique.
thanks!!!!!!

Awww, tiny little newborn ! LOVE the shot with the rings. Nice focus and lighting, the first one - nice prop idea, try popping a pillow under the babies head to elevate a little so the face is fully visible.

In photo shop, you can tone down the reds by using this awesome free action that is my best friend :

http://www.thecoffeesh​opblog.com …owderroom-free-pspse.html (external link)

down load it peeps, it's AWESOME !

Hi Seona,

I have been following this thread right from beginning. Thanks for all suggestions. Here is the photo of my 3 week old daughter. How did I do in this one?

She is beautiful. There's nothing really that I Cn find about this photo that's not lovely.
Beautiful sleeping baby, dreamy tones , great focus, I think it's worthy of a frame & a place on the wall.

The only only only nit picking thing I would do would be to slightly burn in the background & top of the hat with the burn tool in photo shop.

Here are my efforts inspired by this thread (thanks Seona)

Aww sweet little man you have there !

These are lovely, i see a pink/purple/yellow hue on his face, the yellow may have caused this,a layer in PS will fit that, or a quick black and white conversion.

Awesome focus - and nice OOF background, I love that look ! Nice little story - you could frame these in a series for the wall !

Seona -

Thanks Seona!

Ok, try lowest power, a softbox, you may need to diffuse more by putting some white sheeting over the softbox (be sure not to cover any air vents) and move your lights further away from your subject - is space allows. shoot on about 3.2 and see how you go. this happened to me when I first got my lights and I was ready to sell them on ebay !

cute !!!! Use the same set up again, put that cute little person further away from the backdrop, so he's not sitting right on it with his back, use about 2.8 and focus on his eyes. try again, as everything else is great, a willing model is the first step, they're hard to find !

And download this free action - awesome awesome, cleans up your backdrops even if it's a white backdrop, black backdrop etc DPWN LOAD IT PEEPS !

http://www.thecoffeesh​opblog.com …kdrop-fix-action-and.html (external link)

Well, I finally got to shoot a 1 month old baby this morning (first time), for a friend of mine and failed!!! I am going back though as it is now a challenge!!! I know what I did wrong and what I can do better! She was crazy about them, but what does a mother know lol.

If you have someone who lets you practice with their baby, you're set. Practice makes perfect. take a pen and paper to write down your poses with your settings so you know what works and what doesn't ! :)

Sorry for being MIA for a while, i have been shooting my butt off, and then comes the editing, almost up to date before it all starts again with a wedding this weekend......

There's some new blog posts and photos on my blog, if you want to have a look and if there's any Q's on how to shoot similar, let me know & I'll answer.

Make sure you all watch the 2 tutorials i posted & download the 2 free actions as well.....

have fun :)

www.seonamercerphotogr​aphy.com (external link)
5DMKIII gripped 5DMKIII gripped
24-70 2.8L. 85 1.2L. 50 1.2L. 100 2.8L Macro. 35 1.4L. 580exII
Facebook - "be a Liker" https://www.facebook.c​om …rtraiture/12471​9434222672 (external link)

Rissa
57 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 24, 2011 21:33 |  #432

Thank you 1move, I am suprised it is under exposed i thought it was over exposed for sure, thanks for that. I will try again with a greater F stop, i wish i had this answer because i just took some pictures over the weekend and and i noticed most were not in focus. Thanks for the suggestions.

1move wrote in post #12470259 (external link)
I am sorry if I am jacking the thread of the OP but I am going to try and take a stab at it as the OP seems really busy at times.

I think its a great first photo, good positioning of the subject, you got great catch light in the eyes.

A few things I think would do to make it a little better;
-photo seems under exposed
-eyes arent in focus
-used a greater F stop to make sure the baby is in focus but the background is blurred out.
-give it a little more color on the clothing so it has that extra punch

Rissa
57 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 24, 2011 21:41 |  #433

Thanks Seona, that coffeshopblog is great, i have been on it for hours!!

Grimlock
Goldmember
2,912 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 25, 2011 00:46 |  #434

Two things ...

1) I failed to find the tutorials/actions on the blog. :(

2) How many edits do you provide your clients? What are your means of delivery? (e.g. DVD, Download, etc) Do you give them unedited ever?

I'd be very curious to know. Thanks!

- Jerry | Zenfolio (external link)

| 5DMarkII | 15FE | 35L | 85L |

mercersmoments
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,271 posts
Joined Jul 2006

May 25, 2011 00:58 |  #435

Hey Jerry - here's the links to the tutorials & actions :

Baby Powder room - for newborn skin , I also use this on children & adults
http://www.thecoffeesh​opblog.com …owderroom-free-pspse.html (external link)

Powder room backdrop fix -

http://www.thecoffeesh​opblog.com …kdrop-fix-action-and.html (external link)

Awesome tutorials on indoor & out door natural light :

http://www.photography​concentrate.co...ing-your-home/ (external link)

http://www.photography​concentrate.co...iding​-outside/ (external link)

www.seonamercerphotogr​aphy.com (external link)
5DMKIII gripped 5DMKIII gripped
24-70 2.8L. 85 1.2L. 50 1.2L. 100 2.8L Macro. 35 1.4L. 580exII
Facebook - "be a Liker" https://www.facebook.c​om …rtraiture/12471​9434222672 (external link)

sponsored links (only for non-logged)

292,345 views & 5 likes for this thread, 262 members have posted to it and it is followed by 36 members.
Ask me what you want.
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Discussion Kids & Family 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Forums   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset   •  Home

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.