Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 23 May 2011 (Monday) 08:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sound recording

jascarlin
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 23, 2011 08:55 |  #1

I plan to use my Canon g12 for video - as well as stills - and was wondering if anyone uses a voice recording device such as

Philips LFH0622/00 Voice Recorder with 2GB Storage - 283 Hours Recording.

TIA

sponsored links
Chippy569
Goldmember
1,851 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 23, 2011 09:22 |  #2

zoom h4n, much better suited to the task.

Gear List
David Nichols (external link) - Sound Designer
How to export to Youtube HD from Quicktime

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 23, 2011 12:26 |  #3

^^^^^ From all that I have read and researched I have DEF have to agree with that comment!

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

jascarlin
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 24, 2011 03:41 |  #4

Thanks for the feedback but my use isn't critical and I was thinking about something cheaper that can also be used as a voice recorder as well.

Chippy569
Goldmember
1,851 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 24, 2011 06:35 as a reply to  @ jascarlin's post |  #5

The H2 would be a cheaper alternative but you sacrifice tome control over volume and also onboard XLR jacks for pro mics should you decide to upgrade in the future.

Those little voice memo recorders have very skewed frequency response and tend to not sound good for anything other than, well, voice memos.

Gear List
David Nichols (external link) - Sound Designer
How to export to Youtube HD from Quicktime

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 24, 2011 12:22 |  #6

Yea I was kinda thinking the Zoom H4N WAS about the cheapest one should go. From all the mini voice recorders Ive played with, IMO you might as well just stick with the internal camera mics as they all sound about the same to me. Through to be honest, I have never played with the H2 in particular, but the reviews do look good.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

matthew.saji
438 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 24, 2011 14:19 |  #7

I have the Zoom H1 and it does a good job especially on a smaller camera. http://www.zoom.co.jp/​english/products/h1/ (external link)

5DMKII or 5D MK III
Enough gear for now... need to get out and shoot more.

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 24, 2011 17:28 |  #8

The H1 is smaller, easier to use, and has good enough sound. The H2 just doesn't feel as user friendly with the interface, plus it is a little "fatter" than the H1 with the mount hole on the bottom so it stands straight up when mounted (H1 will lay "flat" since mount is on back). If you want a small, inexpensive, easy to use sound recorder, the H1 is very good (there is a Tascam as well that is near the same price and has good reviews for sound but no mount screw hole). The H4 is VERY robust and kind of overkill when paired with a G12.

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

sponsored links

1,714 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sound recording
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.