Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 01 Mar 2006 (Wednesday) 19:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Wedding on the water

PIXI_666
Goldmember
2,005 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 01, 2006 19:09 |  #1

Hi Guys

Another wedding this weekend and i need more advice just for piece of mind :)

It's on a large ship with big white sails (Poses a problem to start with!), its going to be from 4:30pm - 7:30pm which in Australia at the moment sun is in problematic spots!!!

I have a CP filter to filter out the harsh sun and reflections from the water, but are there any other tips on iso or aperture etc. that i should be considering?

Del

"Capturing, Creating & Preserving your memories"
Adelle Cousins Photography

www.adellecousins.com.​au (external link)
nfo@adellecousins.com.​au (external link)

sponsored links
bonneyda
145 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 01, 2006 21:38 |  #2

I personally find that regular CP filters don't do justice to skin tones if you are taking photo's of people on this ship. They usually turn out a little too blue for my taste. It's probably too late to get a "warming" CP filter, but that is what I would suggest if you need a CP in the first place.

Use an ISO just fast enough to keep your shutter speeds up in the 90-125 range if the boat is moving or going through waves.

The use of your aperture is your preference depending on what you want the background to look like.

Hope this helps. By the way, are you near Perth?

CyberPet
Hiding Under a Rock
4,052 posts
Joined May 2005

Mar 01, 2006 22:52 |  #3

Del, I don't know what to suggests, but it sounds tricky!! If you shoot RAW you can do the warming in the post processing, so it sounds like a good idea to use a CP filter to at least get rid of water reflections if it's bright sun, and also give you some rich and yummy skies!

But just shoot as if the bride would be a ton in size, i.e. with a huge white wedding dress (the sails) and expose according to that. Check your histogram, it will proably peak near the right, but not let it trail off too much on the right, so that the images are over exposed. (It's like shooting in snow, you will risk underexposure since the camera will be fooled to think it needs to make things darker). If you use the flash for fill, it'll help you a bit, and if no flash, use the EV to increase it a step or maybe two (depending on how it looks). The highlight warning could be a good idea to use until you get your bearings.

If it's sunny, you might get harsh shadows, but you also have the sails as a big white reflector, so try to use that to your advantage, i.e. shoot them so that you can "kill" some of the harsh shadows using the sails as the reflector on the shadowy side.

Oh and just for me... if it's possible... I'd like to see a shilouette (spelling?) with them kissing through a sunlit sail... it would be soo cool... well if it looks like anything in my head. The sails might just bee too big. :D

/Petra Hall
Click here to view my geeky gear list
I shoot as much as possible in available light... sometimes, my flash is available – Joe Buissink

PIXI_666
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,005 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 02, 2006 00:44 |  #4

Thanks...and you know that was great advice, i could bounce my flash off the sails to give a softer lighting. I probably wouldn't even need to because the sails will be giving off a big reflector from the sun anyway - i didn't think of it that way!!!

I got a $66 CP Filter, he said it was the best they had, and i used it for the wedding last weekend for some of the photo's but because i only got it the day before i didn't have time to practice so i was a little scared it wouldn't work the way i wanted it too.

So now i forget which ones had the filter and which ones didn't haha, but it's true if i photograph in RAW - the full wedding, at least i can warm up the WB, which is what i did for Troy & Kate's, and it gave a really nice warming effect with the sunset coming down.

I think the full day shots would be good as crisp white and blues, but as for the night sunset shots warming glows might be nicer.

I will use your advice, see how it turns out, and use RAW for sure...

Del

CyberPet
Hiding Under a Rock
4,052 posts
Joined May 2005

Mar 02, 2006 01:09 |  #5

You can even use the sails as a diffuser too... if you have the sun through the sail - gives you a much nicer "shade" than something more solid. :D

I wanna come with!!!

/Petra Hall
Click here to view my geeky gear list
I shoot as much as possible in available light... sometimes, my flash is available – Joe Buissink

PIXI_666
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,005 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 02, 2006 02:18 |  #6

hahaha....good idea!

Ill post when i get them sorted - i still havent fully sorted out last weekend's photo's, ive done post processing on most, but now i want to add effects like some glam blurr etc and soft vignetting etc.

(I just found some great actions for photoshop!!!)

Del

PIXI_666
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,005 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 03, 2006 02:33 |  #7

oh and yes im NEAR Perth - im in Merredin (3hrs east)

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
33,039 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 03, 2006 02:38 |  #8

Wear sunscreen :)

I agree about the white sails...use them to your advantage. Have fun!!

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

sponsored links

2,961 views & 0 likes for this thread
Wedding on the water
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.