Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 19 May 2011 (Thursday) 15:05
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Do you have a degree in photography? Is it your job or a hobby?"
I have a degree in photography - it's my job.
0.9%
I have a degree in photography - it's my hobby.
2.7%
I do NOT have a degree in photography - it's my job.
13.5%
I do NOT have a degree in photography - it's my hobby.
82.9%

111 voters, 111 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How many of you have a degree in photography? Job or a hobby?

nepali
982 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 20, 2011 11:52 |  #16

It's just a hobby for me and I do not have a degree in Photography! :)

[Current Gears: Fuji X-T4, Fuji 35 f/2, GoPro HERO8, YN-560 III]
[Feedbacks: #1, #2]

sponsored links
HighDef
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 23, 2011 17:58 |  #17

no degree just a hobby

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

May 23, 2011 18:29 as a reply to  @ HighDef's post |  #18

I decided to obtain a degree in nursing and that has provided a good income and great employment opportunities both in traditional nursing and areas outside of the traditional role

For me there was no decision, it was the one that gave me guaranteed stability for that family. Those were my priorities...and continue to be. The fact that I had a comfortable lifestyle was merely a side benefit.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

jwicaksana
456 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 25, 2011 01:09 |  #19

Hobby hobby hobby :D

Cheers! :D
Jonathan's Gear List and flickr (external link)

DM1975
272 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 28, 2011 10:49 |  #20

ni$mo350 wrote in post #12441571 (external link)
I don't and do it pt but plan to go ft next year. My current job is steady but I'd rather be happy with potentially (and most likely) less income than continue being a drone. One of my friends who's significantly older than I am (I'm almost 24 and he's bordering 50) quit his job and is going through the Art Institute and keeps telling me to go but I learn at an abnormally quick pace and find school slow (not trying to toot my own horn) but to each their own.

I'm not going to pay for school for something I can learn shooting on my own and at my own pace while building up a client base in the process. Sure some of the contacts in the school would be nice and I'm sure it impresses other people but it's just not for some folks including myself. I do, however, plan to take individual classes for the stuff I want to improve on like posing models and working more with different light techniques.

Just some thoughts. I am retired from the military after being wounded in combat after almost 13 years of service. I had a break in service and worked as a police officer, and I have also worked heavily in construction and as a welder. During these times I had always wanted to be a photographer, but you have to live, and in this economy I would be very weary of doing any serious switch in your droning mundane job unless you had a substantial savings to fall back on.

On school, I am now burning up my GI bill with the Art Institute on line and I love it. As for learning at a fast pace, I hear ya. I have an above average IQ and learn quite fast as well, but these classes do more than teach you how to tell your subject how to pose and how to work your camera. These courses give you a better knowledge of art and artistic concepts all together. Knowing what made the great painters do what they did will not only give you a better idea of how to take compelling shots, but it will also develop your ability to see these things for yourself. A good understanding on art history, color theories, and design concepts are never a bad thing to learn as a photographer.

On line AI classes are like anything else, you get out of them what you put into them. I know plenty of people that breeze through school and never truly learn anything, but a person that learns quick, such as yourself, will be better suited to absorb that knowledge properly and be able to grow from it. Knowing what makes a good photo and knowing why that makes a good photo are two different things I believe. If you know why something makes a photo better, then you will have a better grasp on how to implement it and add to it in your photography. Stuff like this can be learned on your own, but it comes quicker and better understood through a well structured curriculum. I have already been to college once before and had allot of the same feelings you did, but (and I know you don't want to hear this, as I didn't either) but as I got older I got a new outlook on learning and what it can do for you if approached the proper way. Sometimes we need to grow a bit more before we can truly learn.

My point on the above, when I went through the police academy I had some college, but my friend that went through it with me had a degree in criminal justice. I immediately was hired after the academy, and he continues to this day to work in a pawn shop that he worked in during college. Why? I had the motivation to succeed, and he just settled on what he was doing. He didn't have the drive I did. Had I the education he did I don't think it would have made me a better officer, as I would have not approached the school in the proper way back then. Now days it would be different. I would have been more oriented to learn what they were teaching me and take it beyond the basics, rather than just learn to pass the class.

This is just my 2 pennies.

Website (external link)
Currently rebuilding my kit piece at a time
50D w/ BG-E2|430EXII|YN560x2|Cac​tusV5x4|White Lightning X800|Vanguard Alta Pro 263 Tripod|Sigma 12-24|70-200 f2.8L|24-105 f4L IS
These images brought to you today by the letter L

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

May 28, 2011 11:18 as a reply to  @ DM1975's post |  #21

No poll option for me. Studied Commercial Photography for four years at college level, attaining a Diploma of Fine Arts (Photography).

Spent 28 years working as a pro photographer, 17 of those as a photojournalist for a large print media group. I also taught photography for a couple of years, part time.. Retired from pro photography in mid 2007 so now I class myself as a hobbyist but I still shoot the occasional paid gig.

Now teaching English language in a developing country. I've been asked by the college where I teach at to run a photography course next term. Should be fun.

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

digital ­ paradise
I still have 8 digits left
17,202 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Oct 2009

May 28, 2011 12:00 |  #22

Hobby but I'd like to make some money with it.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

sponsored links

3,269 views & 0 likes for this thread
How many of you have a degree in photography? Job or a hobby?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.