Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 23 May 2011 (Monday) 00:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

WALMART is Printing my images...

Old ­ Coot
295 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 23, 2011 20:41 as a reply to  @ post 12466217 |  #31

Someone at my local Wal-Mart must be looking because every time I upload prints, I get asked about a release before they will hand them over.

5d | 50d | 1d mii | Rebel G 35mm | Polaroid 100, 210, 360 | Bigma | Tokina 80-200 | Promaster 19-35 | 580ex | Olde Tyme Novatron strobes

sponsored links
mattograph
"God bless the new meds"
7,693 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 23, 2011 21:37 |  #32

PixelMagic wrote in post #12466159 (external link)
Why don't you try it and see how quickly you'll be surrounded by Loss Prevention. You might even be detained while they call the local cops.

I'm fairly certain that:

1) I can handle Wal Mart loss prevention
2) Any video gear I would use they don't sell (so they can't say that I stole it)
3) They wouldn't even know they are being filmed. I can be pretty slick that way. In fact, I am filming you RIGHT now -- and you don't even know it.

Frightening,huh?

This space for rent.

golfecho
(I will regret that)
1,839 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jan 2007

May 24, 2011 13:01 |  #33

RDKirk wrote in post #12463649 (external link)
In fact, PPA has "Recon Teams" that run stings for this sort of thing.

I heard James Bond works for PPA between movie gigs . . .

Facebook (external link) or Website (external link)

Tarzanman
548 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 24, 2011 17:48 as a reply to  @ golfecho's post |  #34

....And what was the end result of all the litigation, recon teams and videos?

Walmart makes customers sign a piece of paper that they don't even read before they buy their prints.

Basically, business as usual. Onus is on the photographer to prove their rights have been violated and Wal-mart gets to sell all the prints they can.

Good luck with your complaint and video exposé.

doublehmom
983 posts
Joined Jan 2009

May 24, 2011 18:02 |  #35

Old Coot wrote in post #12466533 (external link)
Someone at my local Wal-Mart must be looking because every time I upload prints, I get asked about a release before they will hand them over.

My Wal-Mart is the same way.

WMS
"Escargot on the Hoof"
2,884 posts
Joined Nov 2006
Location: California, the land of the politicaly corrupt and innept

May 24, 2011 18:03 |  #36

However having had a history of violations it would be more difficult for WalMart to claim that they were an innocent violator, or perhaps that is the entire theory behind the piece of paper costumers are required to sign.

Wayne

I'm just a simple maker of love charms and tokens,who occasionally takes a picture or two.
Gear list: more toys than I need, Fewer than I want.

Kechar
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 25, 2011 08:18 |  #37

OK so where is Josh101, and where's this video?

Maybe he's in jail?

flickr (external link) KCharron.net (external link) - 5D mark III (gripped) | 24-70 2.8 VC | 85 1.8 | 50 1.4 | 70-200 2.8L
[LIGHTING: 3 Einsteins, AB400, CyberCommander, 2 VLMs w/2 spare bats, 2 64" PLMs, 24x32 softbox, 22" BD, grids and diffusers, Avenger stands and boom.]

cbknight
Goldmember
1,767 posts
Joined Aug 2009

May 25, 2011 08:50 |  #38

I got a call from a previous customer that needed a print for a beauty pageant for that day. The entry had to be submitted that day. I was reluctant but I got online and sent in a order for a single 5x7 at walmart. I didn't have to click anything when ordering that I can remember.

When I made the 30 minute drive to the store and went in to pick up the single print, the ladies looked at me like I was on the FBI's Most Wanted top 5 list. First asked for identification. I provided it. Second asked for a release. I informed them I was the photographer, provided a business card that had my name on it, and eventually they provided the form but still looked at me as if I was no way the owner of the image.

I told them I appreciated them protecting my image and told them I would return in about an hour with a release on my letterhead. They almost said, that's ok....but I insisted. I was ticked off, but appreciative. After I returned with the release, I informed them that the print was not cut correctly and had white border on three sides which shouldn't be there. They reprinted the image and did a fairly good job the second time.

The girl won most photogenic. I wasted half a day. But....Walmart did it right.

My senior reps have to sign a commitment...within the commitment it strictly forbids them from printing any of the images I provide them for facebook. They work hard for me....they know if they want a print, all they have to do is ask. I have had them call and say they would pay me next week if I would give them a 5x7 print for their bf, grandmother, mom for mothers day, etc. I order it and give it to them and tell them thanks for their hard work. No walmart needed.

Craig
4K Photography Studio
[/URL]

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,023 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

May 25, 2011 09:25 as a reply to  @ cbknight's post |  #39

I got a call from a previous customer that needed a print for a beauty pageant for that day. The entry had to be submitted that day. I was reluctant but I got online and sent in a order for a single 5x7 at walmart. I didn't have to click anything when ordering that I can remember.

When I made the 30 minute drive to the store and went in to pick up the single print, the ladies looked at me like I was on the FBI's Most Wanted top 5 list. First asked for identification. I provided it. Second asked for a release. I informed them I was the photographer, provided a business card that had my name on it, and eventually they provided the form but still looked at me as if I was no way the owner of the image.

As I said a couple of times earlier, this is already Walmart corporate policy. If any particular store isn't following their own corporate policy, the first step is a complaint to the manager.

TijmenDal
Goldmember
1,214 posts
Joined Oct 2010

May 25, 2011 18:55 |  #40

Personally I think you're a paranoid *******.
You gave the photo's to the students as a souvenir, they printed the photo's in Wallmart and now you're going to sue them for printing your photo's?

Seriously: this is the EXACT reason why the world is going to hell... Because you missed out on a few bucks because these kids didn't know any better your going to court/get in a lawsuit over this? Haha... I pity you sir... Really...
Just because they printed several pictures you're going to file a complaint? Grow the **** up, you're an adult.

EDIT: And seriously? Wallmart looks into your pictures? You got asked about your right of ownership? America is a ****ed up country I tell you... Why is EVERYONE making an issue out of EVERYTHING...

//Tijmen
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/tijmendalexternal link

Gear

mobei
293 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 25, 2011 19:09 as a reply to  @ TijmenDal's post |  #41

Now this is a brillant twist. The ills of the world are the fault of the guys getting screwed.:rolleyes:

mattograph
"God bless the new meds"
7,693 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 25, 2011 21:54 |  #42

TijmenDal wrote in post #12479131 (external link)
You gave the photo's to the students as a souvenir, they printed the photo's in Wallmart and now you're going to sue them for printing your photo's?

Seriously: this is the EXACT reason why the world is going to hell... Because you missed out on a few bucks because these kids didn't know any better your going to court/get in a lawsuit over this? Haha... I pity you sir... Really...
Just because they printed several pictures you're going to file a complaint? Grow the **** up, you're an adult.

EDIT: And seriously? Wallmart looks into your pictures? You got asked about your right of ownership? America is a ****ed up country I tell you... Why is EVERYONE making an issue out of EVERYTHING...

Wow. This was helpful. I especially enjoy the edit. Sorry about the $1.8 BILLION americans spent in the Netherlands last year -- can we get that back now?

Anyway, back on topic, right?

This space for rent.

The ­ Outlaw
Goldmember
1,212 posts
Joined Aug 2007

May 25, 2011 21:58 |  #43

mattograph wrote in post #12480151 (external link)
Sorry about the $1.8 BILLION americans spent in the Netherlands last year

does that include the pot?:o

Nothing to see here....

mattograph
"God bless the new meds"
7,693 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 25, 2011 21:59 |  #44

The Outlaw wrote in post #12480175 (external link)
does that include the pot?:o

Medical only. ;)

This space for rent.

WMS
"Escargot on the Hoof"
2,884 posts
Joined Nov 2006
Location: California, the land of the politicaly corrupt and innept

May 25, 2011 22:26 |  #45

TijmenDal wrote in post #12479131 (external link)

from Netherlands (Dutch) The Copyright Act, 1912

Article 31. - Any person who intentionally infringes another's copyright shall be punishable by imprisonment not exceeding six months or by a fine not exceeding 25,000 guilders.
Article 32. - Any person who, knowing that a work constitutes an infringement of copyright, distributes it or publicly offers it for sale shall be punishable by a fine not exceeding 10,000 guilders.

Gee is it possible that this would be illegal in the Netherlands also?

Wayne

I'm just a simple maker of love charms and tokens,who occasionally takes a picture or two.
Gear list: more toys than I need, Fewer than I want.

sponsored links

15,990 views & 0 likes for this thread
WALMART is Printing my images...
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.