Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 24 May 2011 (Tuesday) 10:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

40D With Primes

Best_Photography
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined May 2011

May 24, 2011 10:30 |  #1

Read a lot of great advice on these boards so I decided to give it a try and ask the following question.

I've been doing a lot of portrait photography and just got into photographing weddings a few months ago. Every wedding I've rented a lot of gear and after gaining some experience and booking a few weddings for the next couple of months, I'm going to upgrade my lenses.

I want to be shooting primes ONLY... Did this the last wedding and absolutely loved it. Keep in mind that my wife is second shooting with a 24-70L & 70-200L so I can afford to shot primes only. If I happen to miss a moment, she will have definitely got it. :)

I will be upgrading to FF at the end of the year. Glass over body has always been the way to go about upgrading. And that seems the be the opinion among most photographers/people o the blogs/forums... Furthermore I don't feel that a 5D (Classic) offers much/any advantage over my 40D, except for it being a FF camera. ISO 3200 is pretty much comparable in my eyes, at least.

And giving the fact the 40D has the newer technology, bigger screen, better AF (again, MY opinion) etc. A 5D (Classic) isn't worth the upgrade and the 5D II is way to expensive to get and have some money left to buy some decent primes. Not to mention I don't care about the video and the AF is still the same as was used in the 5D (Classic)... When the 5D III gets released I might just go straight for that or buy a 5D II after prices are down.

Last remark concerning bodies: when shooting a wedding using two bodies, especially when using primes ONLY, is a necessity. Getting a second 40D is much cheaper then buying TWO 5D (Classics) since I wouldn't want to shoot a FF camera and 1.6x combined.

Back to the original question (bare with me now, I'm getting there): which of the following setups would YOU prefer and why?

40D x2
24L II
35L
50L
85L

Or

40D x2
24L II
50L
85L
135L

I feel that the 135L would be to LONG on a 1.6x camera. Leaving out the 135L, I would probably get the 35L. I'm doubting if the 24L II would be to wide when using it a night during the reception. A 35L will give me a 'normal' focal length on a 1.6x camera...

Then, when moving to FF, a 24L II will be a lot wider and, in MY opinion, be TOO wide when using it at night at the reception. That's when the 35L would come in handy. Although it would be nice to have the 135L on a FF camera, since it's the same FOV as 85L on my 1.6x camera, it wouldn't be usefull on my current 1.6x camera and not a necessity on a FF camera, since my wife got a 70-200L.

Any insights, advice and/or changes to the above setups are very much appreciated. I want/need to make the right desicion as I will only be able to spend my (hard earned) money once...

@ Mods: Decided to place this in the Wedding And Other Family Events since it's my questions are related to those topics. If you feel it's better placed in the EF & EF-S section, please feel free to move it.

Virto
Goldmember
1,647 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 24, 2011 11:23 |  #2

The 135L package.

The 24L and 35L are really too close together so I doubt you'd be flipping them around much. I'd actually consider leaving the 24L off the list entirely.

The 135L is a magical lens, but so is the 85L. Is your 70-200 an f/4 or f/2.8? If it's an f/4, I'd absolutely want the 135L in the bag.

Kelly - EOS 5D - EOS 40D - Rebel XS - EOS 10D - EOS 1D - SX230 - AE-1 - OM-1n - Minolta Himatic7 - EOS-1N
ABR800 - Several flashes, remote triggers, stands, too many and yet not enough lenses

Best_Photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined May 2011

May 24, 2011 12:01 |  #3

Virto wrote in post #12469888 (external link)
The 135L package.

The 24L and 35L are really too close together so I doubt you'd be flipping them around much. I'd actually consider leaving the 24L off the list entirely.

The 135L is a magical lens, but so is the 85L. Is your 70-200 an f/4 or f/2.8? If it's an f/4, I'd absolutely want the 135L in the bag.

Thans for replying, Virto. I was kind of in that same boat, untill I realised that the 24L II's FOV is a bit to wide (especially on a FF camera but even so on a 1.6x camera) when using it at the reception at night. 50L II's FOV is nice and useable but close to the 85L II's FOV. And 50L II's and 85L II's is pretty close and 50L II's might not be wide enough. Without moving to a FF camera my best bet might be 35L + 85L II when shooting the receptions at night.

Leaving the 24L II out would mean the widest I could shoot is 35L's FOV which is comparable to aprox. 50L II's FOV on FF. And I don't think you (not you specifically "you") would recommend someone shooting a wedding with a 50L II's FOV as their widest lens.

Would lke your thoughts on this. And everybody's elses ofcourse...;)

To answer yout last question: the 70-200L is the F2.8 version.

shooter ­ mcgavin
526 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 24, 2011 12:42 |  #4

I think 24mm on a crop body is very useful for group shots, and If n

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

606 views & 0 likes for this thread
40D With Primes
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.