Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 13 May 2011 (Friday) 01:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Just upgraded from 20D to 30D and I think it was worth the $90

LudwigVB
408 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 13, 2011 01:15 |  #1

Lots of people have down-played this upgrade as being very minor, but for me it made sense. I had bought my 20D second hand and I liked it. It appeared to be in excellent condition and had not yet shown any signs of malfunction.

However, I felt my 20D was a bit like a ticking bomb as regards the remaining shutter life. In addition, the 1.8" LCD display was really too small for my ageing eyes to read comfortably and it didn't have spot metering, which I have have found useful on some previous cameras.

I sold the 20D and bought a 30D on Ebay. My first 30D was a dud and displayed the dreaded Err99 as soon as I tried to use it. However, the vendor was very good about it and offered either to refund my money or to send me another 30D that he had available. He even sent me the money to cover the cost of returning the faulty 30D to him. I gladly accepted his offer of an exchange camera and so I now have what appears to be a fully functional 30D in very good condition. It does smell of tobacco but I don't mind that because I used to smoke until recently anyway.

I regard this as 90 bucks well spent. Even though I realize it's really just a 20D with refinements, they're important refinements to me.

sponsored links
LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 13, 2011 02:04 |  #2

Congrats...I've had both and the 30D is worth the little extra dough.

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

bjielsl
258 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 13, 2011 02:23 |  #3

I used my 30D like crazy, upgraded to 5d and gave my mom my 30D. I think its somewhere in the area 160-170K actuations and running strong. It is a great body.

DIGITAL: 1D mk III, 24-105 f/4L, 70-200 f/2.8 L USM, 50 f/1.2 L USM.
FILM: Bronica s2.
Feedback

Marloon
Goldmember
4,323 posts
Joined May 2008

May 13, 2011 02:55 |  #4

id go for the 40D. how much more will it cost ya.

I'm MARLON

Former Canon Platinum CPS member

5DII • 24L • 35L • 50L • 85L • 135L • 200LIS

Wordpress Blog (external link)Youtube Channel (external link)Twitter (external link)Gear List (external link)

pradeep1
Goldmember
2,343 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2003

May 13, 2011 14:27 |  #5

So you sold your 20D and added $90 to those proceeds to buy a 30D. Not bad.

LudwigVB
THREAD ­ STARTER
408 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 14, 2011 18:32 |  #6

Marloon wrote in post #12401004 (external link)
id go for the 40D. how much more will it cost ya.

Of course, if I could have afforded it I would have preferred a 40D. That's going to be my next target! Right now, though, I need money for other things as well, like buying a new washing-machine for my wife.

Tdragone
Goldmember
2,188 posts
Joined Sep 2004

May 24, 2011 18:53 |  #7

Had it not been stolen, I'd still have a 30D. the upgrade from my 20 to 30D was great for Airshows + paintball and Soccer where things were coming toward/away from me. the 20D would freak out.. the 30D rolls with it. Have fun!

-Tom Dragonetti
Spyder Holster + 1Dmk IV, 50D, G11
10-22, 16-35 2.8Lii, , 24-70 2.8Lii, 50mm 1.4,
70-200 2.8Lii IS, 100-400L IS
1.4x TC, 580EX ii, ST-E2

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 25, 2011 00:02 |  #8

Congrats! It's a great body! My only complaint was the preview thumbnails were very low resolution, which made checking for focus accuracy on the camera LCD difficult because everything looked soft when zoomed in. But the rest of it was awesome. Wonderful camera that has gotten me many excellent shots!

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

sponsored links

1,112 views & 0 likes for this thread
Just upgraded from 20D to 30D and I think it was worth the $90
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.