Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 01 Apr 2011 (Friday) 17:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Gura Gear vs. F-Stop Tilopa vs. Clik Elite

mitch2k1
130 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 01, 2011 17:34 |  #1

I currently have a Gura Gear Kiboko backpack, cannot say enough positive things about it. If I want to take absolutely every piece of equipment I can do it with this pack. If I want to take 1 body and 2 - 4 lenses, and spare gear plus water it's not the most useful. I've owned a LowePro ProTrekker II and have no desire to get another one, do not need/want a 8 pound pack. I've been looking at the Tilopa (or maybe the Loka) and the Clik Elite Contrejour bags. I'd like something hydration compatible, can carry a variety of camera gear and has room for rain gear or a mid layer, food, assorted other hiking essentials and can carry a tripod. The Tilopa with interchangeable ICUs looks to be the most interesting to me. If someone has experience with the Gura Gear bag and one of the others I'm looking at I'd appreciate opinions and insight.

And I know I'll get a lot of buy this brand or that, but I have narrowed the choices down to the bags I have listed.

Gear List:
Canon 5D MkIII
24-105mm f4L 70-200mm f2.8L Zeiss 50mm 1.4 Zeiss 18mm 3.5 Zeiss 25mm 2.0 100mm 2.8 Macro USM

rouxeny
250 posts
Joined May 2008

May 23, 2011 18:34 |  #2

I have a Kiboko, and just recently did some research on the Tilopa and Loka as I was interested in possibly one or the other. I ended up getting the Guru because I felt the other 2 were too big.

I personally think the Kiboko is an incredible bag in terms of how much stuff I can carry. In fact, when I fill it, it becomes something I don't really want to carry around, and I've essentially used it on just short trips near the car. I don't think that even the Large ICU would come close to the carrying capacity.

Andrew Tan
10D/5D/15/17-40/24/50/70-200
http://andrew-tan-photography.smugmug.co​m (external link)
"I am so envious of guys like you. You get to shoot beautful models, all I can find to shoot are bugs and snakes." - JS

DisrupTer911
Goldmember
2,452 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jul 2008

May 24, 2011 09:01 |  #3

1 thing I've noticed on every Clik Elite bag, the zippers do not seal 100% at the ends thus being a water entry point.

www.vividemotionphotograph​y.comexternal link

Wickedkid19
247 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 24, 2011 14:14 as a reply to  @ DisrupTer911's post |  #4

I have a Loka with a med icu and I pack all my gear in my sig plus a 10-20 sigma. With a little room to spare. The really nice thing about my Loka is that I'll use it for baby gear as well (diapers, extra clothes, etc.). I carry the tripod mounted in front and either I'll pack an iPad or a hydration bladder(70oz) in there as well. Inside the Loka there is a specific place for the bladder. Since the med icu is tampered it's the reason I can fit the iPad. With all the gear packed and the hip straps locked all the weight is taken off my shoulders and feels REALLY comfortable. The construction is top notch and I especially like the ballistic material the use on the bottom of the pack. There's plenty of compartments for all the little things. I would have to say the most attractive part is having the interchangeable ICUs (I'm looking to pick up a small) and how comfortable the pack is. You figure that's gotta be an important factor since you'll be carrying a lot of weight. Btw I'm 5'7" so it fits me well. My buddy is 6'3" and has the Loka and it's just as comfy for him.

Lucky L.
5Dmark II | 35mm L f1.4 | 50mm f1.4 | 85mm f1.8 | 100mm L f2.8 Macro | 580exII | Benro c2680 | Horusbennu LX-3 | protected by f-stop Loka
~ Take some Wicked shots!!! ~

mitch2k1
THREAD ­ STARTER
130 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Mar 2009

May 24, 2011 23:43 |  #5

After getting my hands on a F-Stop Tilopa with the large ICU, I have to say for hiking it is my favorite. For moving all of your gear, the Kiboko is perfect. I can fit all of my gear in the pack and a tripod on the outside. Carrying it in the boot of my car or in an overhead bin on a plane (just don't let an airline employee lift it) is what it was designed for, taking more than half of the gear for a 4 mile hike is going to wear on you. At 5' 10" I felt the Kiboko rode low on my back. While the shoulder straps and waist belt are ingenius for storing away, for hiking I never felt I could get the waist belt to take the bulk of the load. But like I said, it will carry everything I have in my signature plus average accessories. At $400 it is reasonably priced for the materials and the number produced, but very expensive for giving me one place to store all of my gear in a closet.

Since I am more interested in either urban photography, getting out on the trail and sports photography I thought I'd try the F-Stop Tilopa. After reading reviews and posts I thought it would be more useful since it is designed as a backpack first with the ICU added afterwards. I chose a TIlopa, for the padded laptop sleeve and a slightly larger bag, over the Loka. With a large ICU I can carry my 5D MkII with grip and RRS l plate with the 70-200 2.8 attached, 1.4x II extender, 17-40mm, 24-70mm and the 50mm 1.4 (all without hoods which ride above the ICU in the pack). Having the space for a rain shell, hat, a couple of snacks, 2 liters of water and a tripod as needed. With this gear the bag was confortable over a 5 mile hike. One issue I found was that with the 5D on the bottom of the ICU, with the grip an L plate I could feel the top of the body in my lower back. Changing out the dividers so that the 5D rides near the top it was not as noticable. I'm planning on replacing the ICU with one of the new pro ICUs in the same size as well as get a medium pro ICU. In order to carry all of the gear I can fit in the Kiboko I would need to get one of the XL ICUs, but then that would take almost all of the space in the bag. The only debate is whether I go for the Tilopa BC when I upgrade the ICUs as well for the beefier waist belt, which I think would be nice, or possibly the Loka or Guru for around town. Since I've only seen some of the smaller Clik packs, and was unimpressed I will say at this time the Tilopa is the best choice for an all around backpack.

Gear List:
Canon 5D MkIII
24-105mm f4L 70-200mm f2.8L Zeiss 50mm 1.4 Zeiss 18mm 3.5 Zeiss 25mm 2.0 100mm 2.8 Macro USM

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

4,702 views & 0 likes for this thread
Gura Gear vs. F-Stop Tilopa vs. Clik Elite
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.