Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 25 May 2011 (Wednesday) 12:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

canon to nikon

JamieMc83
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 25, 2011 12:43 |  #31

BTW - thank you to all who have posted here. I know this thread may seem pointless. But I reckon I just needed (wanted) some more suggestions and opinions.

Again thank you for your time, and understanding.

~Jamie
Canon T2i, gripped|LB Muse, double glass|LB Composer, double glass|Canon 50mm 1.4|Canon 55-250 IS|430EX

sponsored links
kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,552 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Dec 2009

May 25, 2011 12:49 |  #32

I knew one ex-pro photog who used to work for magazines, used to have his own studio, used to go for weddings and so on.
He quit photography as his job to real estate couple of years ago.
Last week he purchased Nikon D7000, just for pleasure. After I saw some of the pictures taken, I told myself - my 500D (half-price of D7000) does the same or even better if I have better lens attached.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

JamieMc83
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 25, 2011 12:50 |  #33

BrickR wrote in post #12477072 (external link)
bye

Why do you keep saying BYE?

~Jamie
Canon T2i, gripped|LB Muse, double glass|LB Composer, double glass|Canon 50mm 1.4|Canon 55-250 IS|430EX

Monito
460 posts
Joined Jan 2005

May 25, 2011 12:56 |  #34

JamieMc83 wrote in post #12476793 (external link)
Someone give me reasons not to switch to nikon.

Switch as often as you like. Switchers subsidize us steady users.

Canon System: fullframe DSLRs, lenses. Tripods, Alien Bees.
Always learning and striving to make better photographs.

guntoter
Goldmember
2,409 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

May 25, 2011 12:56 |  #35

Have a friend who shoots Nikon D300 & uses their 85mm 1.4 that is equal to a Canon L lens.

She is much of the time unhappy with her pictures. The problem isn't her equipment. She has GREAT equipment. When you investigate, you find out her setup was wrong or some such other user error.

The moral is this story is: "No matter which company you go with, you still have to learn to use that equipment".

Personally I like Canon. The 7D is great & even my backup camera takes great pics (40D). Canon has a greater selection of lenses.

Stay with Canon - Go with Nikon, doesn't matter unless you learn the proper use of your equipment.

By the way, I started with an XTi like you have, and I took many thousands of pics. Loved the camera. I just gave it to my brother. I expect him to get more years of pleasure out of it (IF HE WILL LEARN TO USE IT).

Joel
GEAR
Flickr (external link)

Monito
460 posts
Joined Jan 2005

May 25, 2011 12:59 |  #36

JamieMc83 wrote in post #12476974 (external link)
Nikon has face recognition.

If you think that will improve your photography, go right ahead and switch. :p

Canon System: fullframe DSLRs, lenses. Tripods, Alien Bees.
Always learning and striving to make better photographs.

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

May 25, 2011 13:06 |  #37

Things I have been told that sticks out in my head.
Nikon camera and Nikkor lenses are more affordable.
Nikon has face recognition. Nearly ever Nikkon lens I would use is VR.
Nikon has in camera editting. Nikon has better automatic exposure choices.

However as I have said I know nothing about Nikon.
So y'all tell me what you think and I will listen :)

Canon also has face recognition. It's a throwaway feature tossed into DSLRs so they seem to be technologically up to par with those "advanced" point and shoots. It requires using live mode, and really, you'd be better off just getting a P&S if you really want it and want to use live mode a lot.

The 60D has a ton of editing/RAW processing and exposure tweaking choices. I have yet to touch them. Why? Because I have a computer to do post. The computer can do everything the camera can do using an interface that is actually designed for precision, and of course it can do much more. In-camera processing and "exposure modes" to me are again nothing but marketing fluff.

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

aboss3
Goldmember
2,616 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 25, 2011 13:30 |  #38
bannedPermanent ban

I'll tell you my personal story. Here it comes...
I've been an avid Canon shooter for the past few years. Having owned a bunch of Canon gear: Rebel XT/XSi, 10D, 60D, 7D, 5DII. The only Nikon body I've had was a D80 so far. With the rumors about 5D3 coming out and being tired of Canon and wanting to try something new, I switched to D7000 after selling all my Canon gear. Well there are few things a Canon shooter will have to adjust to. For me, personally, the toughest thing was the back LCD where I used to change most of my settings instead of the top screen. You can't do that with a Nikon (only some settings). So changing the ISO will be reflected only on the top screen/viewfinder. Also, I didn't like the fact that you have to press the 'Info' button any time you want to see the settings on the rear screen! On the other hand, after being lucky with a recent Canon 5D2 sale and buying my 2nd body, I found out that I got used to a D7k for the last few months, and had trouble forcing myself to sell the Nikon. Really??? The body just felt right in my hands. And besides the stupid "Info" display I had no reasons not to like it. The Sigma 30mm lens was just the sharpest Sigma I've ever had. The high ISO noise was virtually non existent. And ergonomically I just loved the body! But the desire for a 5D2 body and the magic of 85L2 lens won me over. There's just something about Canon lenses that was missing in Nikon, and not counting my personal loyalty to the brand. Even the red logo on a box looks better :)) <--- this may be my top reason LOL
Go Canon!

Gear | My gear is changing faster than I can update the signature
VoyageEyewear (external link)

asamimasa
Goldmember
1,047 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 25, 2011 14:07 |  #39

Have gone both shallow and deep in both waters. Love both, don't have a preference for either, but don't play the brand game. Both systems each have their own merits, and saying that one is definitively better than the other gets you nowhere. Since you're on a Canon-based forum, you'll obviously run into people going "WHY YOU SWITCH, CANON IS BEST", and while I do sometimes miss Canon side, I'm also happy with what I have now. I'd say somehow get your hands on a Nikon (since supposedly people around you shoot it), or even rent one for a few days. You're looking to upgrade, but your decision should be based on what camera offers what you need, not based on brand (especially since you're not too deeply invested in any system).
Admittedly, I'm told by many a Nikon shooter that many of the pre D90/D3 bodies were a bit lacking (although some like the the D2X are still well-loved by purists). If you're seriously considering switching over, I'd say that a D90 or a D7000 would be a good place to start to experience a worthwhile, noticable upgrade from your current XTi.

If you decide to stay with Canon, I'd say maybe a 5Dc, since you don't need anything that stresses out the AF system that isn't the best for moving subjects. All of your glass would still be usable.

Keyan wrote in post #12476948 (external link)
It's not like Nikon is a "step up" from Canon. They are peers. Canon is currently dominating the DSLR market with a nearly 50% market share. Nikon is second with close to 30%, and then the rest are Sony, etc.

Canon lenses are in general cheaper and produce higher quality images in many cases.

I don't know where you pulled up those figures or when they represent, but Nikon really has done some catching up in the past few years (something I was unaware of while on Canon side until I really looked into both systems).

Although there are a lot cheaper bang for buck lenses on Canon mount, I really wouldn't go so far as to say that they produce higher image quality. Although, in the super telephoto category (400mm+), I'd say that Canon's still got the edge.

Things I have been told that sticks out in my head.
Nikon camera and Nikkor lenses are more affordable.
Nikon has face recognition. Nearly ever Nikkon lens I would use is VR.
Nikon has in camera editting. Nikon has better automatic exposure choices.

However as I have said I know nothing about Nikon.
So y'all tell me what you think and I will listen :)

NO. Nikon side is considerably more costly if you go for premium glass, especially since so much of their best glass has been released only in the past few years with their Nano-Crystal coating technology.
For example, the 24-70 2.8 can be found used in the low $1000s, but the Nikon version rarely sinks under $1400. Especially true with the updated primes, you'll be spending a lot more on Nikon. However, in terms of decent glass, you'll more or less pay the same. Nikon has an older 50mm 1.4 that can be found used for ~$250, and an updated version that fetches about $400 used, leaving the Canon version hovering somewhere in between.
Because Nikon lenses are compatible with their ancient film lenses because they never changed the F-mount (unlike Canon, who ditched the FD mount and made it unusable on the succeeding mount), there's a huge amount of old film glass that's floating around on ebay and garage sales, and in that sense, yes, lenses that you could use on your Nikon body can be found for exceedingly cheap.
Some Nikons may have facial recognition, but that would only be in some Live-view mode, which is of absolute no use in the DSLR world. That's a point and shoot feature that shouldn't sway you in any way.
Nikon has just as many lenses with VR as Canon does with IS. Unless you plan on only getting the 16-35, which is stabilized on Nikon, but is a full stop slower than Canon's L.
In-camera editing isn't something anyone I know ever uses. Even if you're shooting JPEG, you would have much more control doing it properly on the computer screen. The only possible time it might ever come in useful is if you plan to not have any sort of access to a decent computer for an extended period of time and are expected to deliver a finished product without ever having it go through a computer.
Also, if you're still considering automatic exposures, you really should take the time to learn how much potential you have in your hands before considering what sort of gear you have.

Gear List here

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

May 25, 2011 14:12 |  #40

asamimasa wrote in post #12477593 (external link)
I don't know where you pulled up those figures or when they represent, but Nikon really has done some catching up in the past few years (something I was unaware of while on Canon side until I really looked into both systems).

It was on this forum not that long ago:
http://www.canonrumors​.com …ikon-in-dslr-marketshare/ (external link)

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

NG8JGFX
741 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Mar 2011

May 25, 2011 14:19 |  #41

shoot with both...what one lacks the other may have a gain...

MyCanonPhotos (external link) facebook (external link)
Tenba 32L, 5D IV, 5D III, 7D II, 8 Lenses, Three 600 EX-RT's, ST-E3-RT +

aboss3
Goldmember
2,616 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 25, 2011 14:43 |  #42
bannedPermanent ban

Just don't shoot with D7000. You may like it and switch over ;)

aboss3
Goldmember
2,616 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 25, 2011 14:44 |  #43
bannedPermanent ban

The high-ISO noise levels on D7k are amazing! I'd call it the "lowest-noise-crop-body" up to this date, on par with Pentax K-5.

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,680 posts
Gallery: 1656 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

May 25, 2011 15:00 |  #44

aboss3 wrote in post #12477811 (external link)
The high-ISO noise levels on D7k are amazing! I'd call it the "lowest-noise-crop-body" up to this date, on par with Pentax K-5.

That's partly because Nikon won't let you turn off high-iso NR. :lol:

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

May 25, 2011 15:12 |  #45
bannedPermanent ban

jwcdds wrote in post #12477908 (external link)
That's partly because Nikon won't let you turn off high-iso NR. :lol:

Who cares...as long as the results are there.

sponsored links

11,998 views & 0 likes for this thread
canon to nikon
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.