Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 25 May 2011 (Wednesday) 12:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

canon to nikon

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,686 posts
Gallery: 1656 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

May 25, 2011 15:18 |  #46

Hogloff wrote in post #12477980 (external link)
Who cares...as long as the results are there.

Same as dialing in an NR preset while you import the photos. But who cares... the results will be there when doing so.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

sponsored links
Sp1207
Goldmember
1,835 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Nov 2010

May 25, 2011 15:25 |  #47

jwcdds wrote in post #12477908 (external link)
That's partly because Nikon won't let you turn off high-iso NR. :lol: Just shove some glitter on it and Canon will do the same

Not really. Look a the DR vs. ISO charts on Dxomark. This sensor has basically no read noise (sub 2%). It's a true departure in performance from previous sensors, as can be seen by the incredible DR/ISO job done by the cameras using these sensors. 14 stops of DR is nothing to sneeze at.

I personally couldn't justify switching unless it was to a body with a D7K level sensor or above. Have you looked at Sony? In-body IS is pretty intense.

Gear

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,686 posts
Joined Aug 2004

May 25, 2011 15:40 |  #48

Sp1207 wrote in post #12478066 (external link)
Not really. Look a the DR vs. ISO charts on Dxomark. This sensor has basically no read noise (sub 2%). It's a true departure in performance from previous sensors, as can be seen by the incredible DR/ISO job done by the cameras using these sensors. 14 stops of DR is nothing to sneeze at.

I personally couldn't justify switching unless it was to a body with a D7K level sensor or above. Have you looked at Sony? In-body IS is pretty intense.

Well, I never mentioned anything about dynamic range and it is true (according to most reviews and technical sources) that the new Nikon sensor (or is it Sony) has greater DR than other APS-C sensors available on the market today. (As this is a wonderful thing to see and hopefully will light a fire under Canon's sensor-development department.)

But all one needs to do is flip open the Nikon D7000 manual and it will tell you. Page 205 towards the bottom of the page if you need referencing:

HIGH ISO NR - OFF
Noise reduction is only performed at ISO sensitivities of ISO 1600 and higher. The amount of noise reduction is less than the amount performed when Low is selected for High ISO NR.

I only bolded the parts that were printed in bold in the manual, not trying to stress something or throw it in anyone's face.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

aboss3
Goldmember
2,616 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 25, 2011 15:55 |  #49
bannedPermanent ban

jwcdds wrote in post #12478154 (external link)
Well, I never mentioned anything about dynamic range and it is true (according to most reviews and technical sources) that the new Nikon sensor (or is it Sony) has greater DR than other APS-C sensors available on the market today. (As this is a wonderful thing to see and hopefully will light a fire under Canon's sensor-development department.)

But all one needs to do is flip open the Nikon D7000 manual and it will tell you. Page 205 towards the bottom of the page if you need referencing:

HIGH ISO NR - OFF
Noise reduction is only performed at ISO sensitivities of ISO 1600 and higher. The amount of noise reduction is less than the amount performed when Low is selected for High ISO NR.

I only bolded the parts that were printed in bold in the manual, not trying to stress something or throw it in anyone's face.

Well, If we're talking about dynamic range, there's a clear winner: Fuji S5. I haven't seen anything better than that. Ever!

Gear | My gear is changing faster than I can update the signature
VoyageEyewear (external link)

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,686 posts
Joined Aug 2004

May 25, 2011 15:57 |  #50

aboss3 wrote in post #12478233 (external link)
Well, If we're talking about dynamic range, there's a clear winner: Fuji S5. I haven't seen anything better than that. Ever!

What's a Fuji? :lol: j/k.

Julian

aboss3
Goldmember
2,616 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 25, 2011 16:01 |  #51
bannedPermanent ban

jwcdds wrote in post #12478241 (external link)
What's a Fuji? :lol: j/k.

LOL
Fuji S5 is basically the Nikon D200 with a high dynamic range and Fuji's image processor which utilizes a different matrix. It was said to be the best wedding camera, since when pointed at the white dress, it will even display the little details. That's probably the toughest job for any camera these days

Gear | My gear is changing faster than I can update the signature
VoyageEyewear (external link)

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,686 posts
Joined Aug 2004

May 25, 2011 16:14 |  #52

aboss3 wrote in post #12478256 (external link)
LOL
Fuji S5 is basically the Nikon D200 with a high dynamic range and Fuji's image processor which utilizes a different matrix. It was said to be the best wedding camera, since when pointed at the white dress, it will even display the little details. That's probably the toughest job for any camera these days

I'd have to agree, one of the toughest tests on digital camera sensors today is being able to capture white wedding dresses + (typically) black tuxedos. Any literature on how many stops of DR the S5 had?

Julian

Sp1207
Goldmember
1,835 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 25, 2011 16:17 |  #53

http://www.dpreview.co​m …/fujifilms5pro/​page18.asp (external link)

12. The D7000 has 14.

Gear

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,337 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

May 25, 2011 16:37 |  #54

You have about $900 in lenses there (I know because I just had my stuff insured today and I had to look up the prices). You need to ask yourself if it's worth getting the same type of glass for a Nikon even though you already have the glass for a Canon. Yes, you can sell it all but what will you gain?

tkbslc said it best... Switching brands won't make you a better photographer. I just found out last month that I take better care when shooting with a 20+ year old 35mm camera than I do with digital because there is no room for error with 35mm.

It's an interesting experiment. Everyone should try it. You'll appreciate your Canon a little more when you get back to shooting with it after the 35mm. Trust me! :)

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

kitacanon
Goldmember
4,706 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2006

May 25, 2011 16:46 |  #55

As someone asking much the same question, I have to ask WHY?

If it's physical/mechanical, THAT I can understand, since I shoot a lot with my Nikkor lenses that I have to stop down to use on my Canon...but I rarely stop down more than would get in the way of my shooting...i.e. more than F4 inside, F8 outside...where focusing can be difficult with the darker screen...

Then there's the ability to use metering with those Nikkors...IF I get the D7K or better body...while getting the D5k would get me auto-aperture, it does not metering with my Nikkors...

If it's YOUR (OP's) ability to get the KIND of shot that only switching brands can achieve, well, I suppose the argument to get the D7K has merit...for low light S/N ratio...THAT works for me...

But HOW MUCH improvement would I get from switching from the 40D...? I ask that question a lot...

Finally...
I see people upgrading technology all the time when what they should be upgrading is their technique...but gear-lusting and product replacement nearly always trumps dedication to the process...the time, committment and practice it takes to improve image making is much more expensive than buying gear...and so people buy gear they don't need...and that won't make much difference in their image making

...sorry, but it needs to be said...and OP left the question of switching brands open-ended enough for this to be said...

My Canon kit 450D/s90; Canon lenses 18-55 IS, 70-210/3.5-4.5....Nikon kit: D610; 28-105/3.5-4.5, 75-300/4.5-5.6 AF, 50/1.8D Nikkors, Tamron 80-210; MF Nikkors: 50/2K, 50/1.4 AI-S, 50/1.8 SeriesE, 60/2.8 Micro Nikkor (AF locked), 85mm/1.8K-AI, 105/2.5 AIS/P.C, 135/2.8K/Q.C, 180/2.8 ED, 200/4Q/AIS, 300/4.5H-AI, ++ Tamron 70-210/3.8-4, Vivitar/Kiron 28/2, ser.1 70-210/3.5, ser.1 28-90; Vivitar/Komine and Samyang 28/2.8; 35mm Nikon F/FM/FE2, Rebel 2K...HTC RE UWA camera

maverick14
79 posts
Joined Aug 2010

May 25, 2011 17:10 |  #56

I just switched from Canon -> Nikon and haven't looked back. I had a 450D with a couple of 2nd hand lenses, it took nice photos but was very small in my hands and I wanted something more 'technical' to get my teeth into...

I didnt like the 60D and couldnt justify the cost of a 7D so I went into a local store and played with the D7000... loved it and bought it. Sold my 2nd hand lenses for more than what I paid for them, this then funded some lenses for the nikon.

I still like the Canon range, a friend of mine has a 5D and its a great piece of kit... I just find the Nikon D7000 suits me more than anything else out there.

TijmenDal
Goldmember
1,214 posts
Joined Oct 2010

May 25, 2011 18:16 |  #57

Nikons are a pain in the ass to hold. They absolutely suck, frickin' LOATHE 'em. Small flimsy POS's if you ask me. D7000, D300 or D700, they all feel like crap.
Now as far as IQ goes, they're the same.

Why I choose Canon over Nikon:
- Bigger company, bigger community, more info
- Bigger second-hand market
- Nikon's HDSLR video blows, whereas Canon's rocks
- Nikon bodies are the ugliest things ever. A ROUND viewfinder? Seriously?
- As mentioned above: they hold so uncomfortably it blows...

//Tijmen
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/tijmendalexternal link

Gear

yourdoinitwrong
Goldmember
2,394 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 25, 2011 18:36 as a reply to  @ TijmenDal's post |  #58

You have asked for a reason NOT to switch to Nikon because your family has suggested that you do so. What is their reason FOR switching? It's your camera and your pictures so unless there is some compelling reason to make the switch then why should you need a reason NOT to switch? Photography can be expensive enough without switching brands on a whim. I drive a Chevy and have no problems with it so I'm not going to switch to Ford just because my brother drives one.

5D4 w/BG-E20, 24-105 f/4L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 35 f/1.4L, 85 f/1.8, 100 f/2.8L IS Macro, Sigma 50 f/1.4
Full List

pieq314
Goldmember
1,101 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 25, 2011 21:05 |  #59

JamieMc83 wrote in post #12476974 (external link)
Things I have been told that sticks out in my head.
Nikon camera and Nikkor lenses are more affordable.
Nikon has face recognition. Nearly ever Nikkon lens I would use is VR.
Nikon has in camera editting. Nikon has better automatic exposure choices.

However as I have said I know nothing about Nikon.
So y'all tell me what you think and I will listen :)

Canon cameras are cheaper. Canon lenses are A LOT cheaper.
Canon has a larger lens collections: for every Nikon lens (except the 200-400 f/4, plus a few minor lenses), there is a Canon version. But Canon also has additional lenses that Nikon does not. For example, Canon has 4 versions of 70-200mm, and Nikon has only 1.

Canon 1D Mk III/5D2, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, Sigma 17-35mm f/2.8-4 EX, Canon 85/1.8, Canon 100/2.8 IS macro, Canon 135/2, Sigma 150-500 OS, Canon 500 f/4 IS

Sp1207
Goldmember
1,835 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 25, 2011 21:12 |  #60

pieq314 wrote in post #12479869 (external link)
Canon cameras are cheaper. Canon lenses are A LOT cheaper.
Canon has a larger lens collections: for every Nikon lens (except the 200-400 f/4, plus a few minor lenses), there is a Canon version. But Canon also has additional lenses that Nikon does not. For example, Canon has 4 versions of 70-200mm, and Nikon has only 1.

Nikon lenses are a lot cheaper if you buy the Canon's tripod mount and hood :P

I think their lens collection is pretty much identical, with the big standouts being Nikon's stabilized wide-zoom and Canon's 85L.

Gear

sponsored links

12,004 views & 0 likes for this thread
canon to nikon
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.