Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 25 May 2011 (Wednesday) 11:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Buying a Used Camera - What to Buy?

NCGirl
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined May 2011

May 25, 2011 11:51 |  #1

Last year I purchased a xsi with a 18-55 & 70-300. It took great pictures and I enjoyed it at first. But I didn't like having 2 lenses and didn't like how much stuff I was lugging around all the time. I travel internationally every month to somewhere and it just seemed to get heavier and bulkier as I went. So, I traded it for a P & S in Costa Rica in a weak moment back in January. Since then, I have regretted it.... The panazonic fz35 I traded for is supposed to be about as good as you can get with a p & S but it just can not compare to the shots I got with the xsi even though I didn't have a clue what I was doing!!

So, I have decided that I am going to get another DSLR, only this time I want to get ONE lens. yea, I know, I know.... but I think that is what I hated most about the other one was having to change lenses so I want a decent quality lens that can go from close to far. I know It is impossible to get from 18-300 on one lens and have any kind of quality at all but I am willing to trade off something to just have one lens on all the time.

I was looking at BHphoto and it looks like they have lots of Used cameras from 30D's to XSI's to T1i and T2'is and some have lenses and some don't and quite frankly I am just lost as to what to get.

90% of my photos will be travel photos. Landscapes, cityscapes and people, mostly outdoor stuff so low light is not that important. video I could take or leave. OK, I know it seems insane to get a DSLR and have just one lens but I really am serious about wanting one lens. so shoot me :lol:

OK, bottom line, lets say I have a budget of $500-$1000 for the camera and lens. What would you recommend that is available from BH currently? (I have purchased a lot from them over the years receiving great customer service and would prefer to stay with them)

Lastly, is there anything I need to ask or consider when buying used??

sponsored links
angelIV
Goldmember
1,160 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 25, 2011 12:02 |  #2

i think you can get a good deal @ clp (canon loyalty program) they have a refurb 60d w/ 18-135mm @ less or almost 1000. how the program works search is that you send a broken canon camera and they will give an extra 20% discount on the refurb price. search the forum for canon loyalty program.

Gear list: 7d, 50d, xti, EOS 66 film, Canon FTB,sigma 18-35 1.8 art len, EF 24-105L, 70-200f4. Manfrotto 190xpro, sirui g20x. BR metro.

Knobspinner
91 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 25, 2011 12:07 |  #3

Get a good P & S. Read reviews. You will not be able to get a DSLR and lens that is any good for your price. Talk to the folks at B&H. See what they say. If you only want one lens then get a camera that is made to be felible with only one lens. A DSLR is made to change lenses, so not any one lens will dthe entire task that you want. Of course IMO.

Jim
5Dc, 17-40L f4, 70-200L f4, 400L f5.6, 85 f1.8
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jimgreenphotos/ (external link)

nepali
966 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 25, 2011 12:08 |  #4

Get yourself a Rebel XSi and a 18-135mm lens!

[Current Gears: Fuji X-T3 | Fuji XF 23mm ƒ/1.4 | Fuji XF 56mm ƒ/1.2 | YN-560 III]
[Past Gears: 7D | Sigma 30 ƒ/1.4 | Canon 85 ƒ/1.8 | 430EX ]
[Feedbacks: #1, #2]

Aiden
224 posts
Joined Aug 2009

May 25, 2011 12:11 |  #5

Knobspinner wrote in post #12476781 (external link)
Get a good P & S. Read reviews. You will not be able to get a DSLR and lens that is any good for your price. Talk to the folks at B&H. See what they say. If you only want one lens then get a camera that is made to be felible with only one lens. A DSLR is made to change lenses, so not any one lens will dthe entire task that you want. Of course IMO.

Thats a bunch of nonsense.

You can easily scoop up a 40d for $500, and a tamron 28-70 2.8 for $325, or a canon 28-135 for $200.

the prices of 30ds have gone down a lot too. As of right now though the biggest bargain is probably a 40d at the price they're going for.

5dc|28-75 f2.8|

NCGirl
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined May 2011

May 25, 2011 12:12 as a reply to  @ Knobspinner's post |  #6

I was told that the panasonic P&S I had was one of the best but it could not come close to the dslr I had. I tried the canon s95 for a weekend but it wasn't getting the results of the xsi either.... :confused:

I was thinking of getting a 30D and Canon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 EFS IS LENS which will come out to about $1000. Would this be a good combination? or will I get much better camera for my basic needs with a 60D?

any lens I get needs to have IS....

nepali
966 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 25, 2011 12:14 |  #7

NCGirl wrote in post #12476812 (external link)
I was told that the panasonic P&S I had was one of the best but it could not come close to the dslr I had. I tried the canon s95 for a weekend but it wasn't getting the results of the xsi either.... :confused:

I was thinking of getting a 30D and Canon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 EFS IS LENS which will come out to about $1000. Would this be a good combination? or will I get much better camera for my basic needs with a 60D?

If, besides changing lenses, weight is another issue for you, then the XXD bodies will be heavier compared to your old XSi.

[Current Gears: Fuji X-T3 | Fuji XF 23mm ƒ/1.4 | Fuji XF 56mm ƒ/1.2 | YN-560 III]
[Past Gears: 7D | Sigma 30 ƒ/1.4 | Canon 85 ƒ/1.8 | 430EX ]
[Feedbacks: #1, #2]

ni$mo350
Cream of the Crop
6,011 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 25, 2011 12:14 |  #8

I love B&H and have spent thousands there but you should really check out the FS board here because there's lots of good deals on used equipment and most of us take really good care of our products and have history posted all over the boards to prove it's in working condition. You're budget is pretty tight considering what you want. If there was an all in one simple DSLR combo that covered a very broad fl with good image quality to boot under a grand then there would be less of a market for other lenses. You might want to consider a used 17-55 f/2.8IS for a lens. It's a fantastic overall lens for a crop body and quick for low light situations as well as a pretty broad range. It might not be as long as you'd want but you gotta pay to play. There's a lot of lenses out there, just check in the lens sample thread and see which one suits your fl needs and go from there.

As far as a body, I had a T1i and loved it for what it was. All the rebels are pretty good and will be perfect for what you're wanting it for but I would suggest a T1i>newer one as the LCD is much nucer

-Chris-Website (external link)|| (external link)Facebook (external link)|| My Flickr (external link)|| Follow me!!! 500px (external link) || (external link) 5D mkii || 35L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS MKII || My bank account hates you all :cry:

Aiden
224 posts
Joined Aug 2009

May 25, 2011 12:16 |  #9

Id go 40d + 28-135.

5dc|28-75 f2.8|

kelleystar27
195 posts
Joined Jan 2007

May 25, 2011 17:25 as a reply to  @ Aiden's post |  #10

+1 ^^^

Kelley
www.facebook.com/charm​edcapturesphotography.​com (external link)
40D, 5D,5D II, 28-75 2.8, 85 1.8, 200 2.8L, 300 2.8L

Delija
Goldmember
1,095 posts
Joined Jan 2009

May 25, 2011 17:51 |  #11

Aiden wrote in post #12476852 (external link)
Id go 40d + 28-135.

Yep, me too....no question!

I recently sold my 40D and bought a 7D...the 7D has it's advantages, but the 40D was a truly amazing camera.

And for all those who complain about the low ISO noise of the 7D, blame pixel density. The 40D hit the "sweet spot" of 10MP on an APS-C size sensor - almost exactly the same density of the $35,000 Hasselblad H4D 50.

Great image quality, very fast shutter and frames per second capability, magnesium body....just a terrific camera with all the features that made it a worthy "upgrade" to the already terrific 30D - including a larger 3" LCD, "live view" and auto sensor cleaning.

The 28-135 USM "kit lens" gets a bad rap - but I own all "L" lenses with that one exception (other than my Zeiko manual focus primes lenses that need an OM to EF adapter and are difficult to focus without "live view") and I got great results with the 28-135...and it's a true USM ring type focusing system (full time manual), an early IS system but still very effective and a good build quality - far better than the newer kit EF-S lenses IMO. (just NOT being an EF-S mount gets it extra points in my book) :)

Yep, the 18-135 is more versatile but at a price (and I don't mean money).
My $.02

Peace,
D.

Wow, what a nice picture! You must have a really great camera!

shaftmaster
Goldmember
1,429 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 25, 2011 18:06 |  #12

I think you should get a Rebel body (maybe XSi again) and something like the Canon 18-200mm IS lens. This assumes that weight and size are a major concern. I have an XTi, 40D, and 5D and the XTi has the same image quality as the 40D, so if you are concerned about weight more than "build quality" then go with another Rebel body. I still have my XTi because there are times I like something smaller and lighter than the 40D/5D.

Since you don't have any DSLR gear right now you might want to consider what Nikon has to offer too.

Paul

Gear -- Flickr (external link)

GregoryF
Goldmember
2,316 posts
Joined Jul 2010

May 25, 2011 18:36 |  #13

XSi and Tamron 18-270 VC? (original model w/$150 rebate)

6D, 5D, 7D, 50D, 40D, Xsi, PENTAX mx-1, Sony a6000, Sony a3000 too many lenses, flashes and aux. gear to list!:cool:
A simple hobby gone horribily wrong

mpix345
Goldmember
2,850 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 25, 2011 18:48 as a reply to  @ GregoryF's post |  #14

I love the idea of a 40D with maybe the Sigma 17-70, but if size matters I'd really consider micro 4/3s. Olympus E-PL1 with 14-150mm lens (2x crop factor makes it 28-300mm in 35mm terms). The Oly gives you great JPEGs SOOC and the 14-150 is a light and versatile lens. I know you only want one lens, but I'd consider adding the 17/2.8 pancake for a night time/indoor option that is very discreet.

LamontSanders
894 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 25, 2011 19:08 |  #15

Aiden wrote in post #12476852 (external link)
Id go 40d + 28-135.

absolutely agree. other alternative is 40D + 18-55 + 55-250. Either of those combinations are solid

Oh and buy used HERE not at BH or Adorama. Prices here are way better and so are the people.

5DS R | 1Ds Mark III | Canon 16-35mm F/4L IS | Canon 24-70mm F/4L IS | Canon 70-200mm F/4L | Canon 50mm F/1.8 STM | Sigma 24-35mm F/2.0 Art | Samyang 14mm F/2.8 |
flickr (external link) | Old flickr (external link)

sponsored links

2,163 views & 0 likes for this thread
Buying a Used Camera - What to Buy?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.