Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 16 May 2011 (Monday) 22:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Would you call a 60D a super rebel?

CyberManiaK
670 posts
Joined Jan 2009

May 25, 2011 19:34 |  #211

nate42nd... I think you should handle a D7000 or a D300s and those feel way better than the 7D

I have to agree with aboss3 the D7000 just "feel" more solid than the 60D.. its a very impressive camera for sure, and way better in some aspects, that was my first choice also (I was jumping ship from sony) but who cares if the D7000 have 39 AF points ?? the only 2.8 (crossed) are 9 in the center.. that array is very strange and make the corners not as accurate as the the ones used on the XXD

Carlos
60D / 10-20 + 100L + 40/2.8

sponsored links
nate42nd
767 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 25, 2011 23:51 |  #212

CyberManiaK wrote in post #12479339 (external link)
nate42nd... I think you should handle a D7000 or a D300s and those feel way better than the 7D

I have to agree with aboss3 the D7000 just "feel" more solid than the 60D.. its a very impressive camera for sure, and way better in some aspects, that was my first choice also (I was jumping ship from sony) but who cares if the D7000 have 39 AF points ?? the only 2.8 (crossed) are 9 in the center.. that array is very strange and make the corners not as accurate as the the ones used on the XXD

I have handled the D300s. I looked at it when buying the 7D. The 7D felt WAY better to me. It must be the way a persons hands are built, the size of your hands and personal preference. The 7D is the best "feeling" (and working) camera I have ever used.

7D - - 17-55 F/2.8 - 24-105 F/4L - 100mm F/2.8 - 50mm F/1.8 - S95 / To see all click here
My Flickr (external link)

roosterslayer
994 posts
Joined Oct 2010

May 26, 2011 00:04 |  #213

i would call a 60d a prosumer camera, but not entry level like a rebel whatsoever. this is just imo but canon's earlier xxD series have seemed like semi pro cameras to me. in fact ive seen most wedding photographers use the xxD series with L glass for most of my auntie's weddings.

flickr (external link)

Mikail
89 posts
Joined May 2011

May 26, 2011 00:05 as a reply to  @ roosterslayer's post |  #214

why is this thread still alive?

5Dc + 17-40L f/4 + 50 f/1.8 + 70-200L f/4 IS

lonescout
155 posts
Joined Jan 2007

May 26, 2011 01:28 as a reply to  @ Mikail's post |  #215

krb wrote in post #12479122 (external link)
You've never actually handled a Glock, have you?

Yes, frequently. Less so since 1997 ;). It is a totally capable piece of kit, I'm just not keen on (what in my opinion is) the 'springy vague' feel of the trigger let off compared to the crisp feel of traditionally manufactured kit. Like I say 'subjective'.

Unlike some people who post their opinions on 'specs' or a two minute fumble over a shop counter, mine is based on actually using the equipment over time.

harcosparky wrote in post #12479195 (external link)
You use the word 'plastic' too loosely!

Heck, too many people use the word 'plastic' too loosely..

My point exactly.:D The word is being used by some to 'put down' a really good camera/gun just because it doesn't fit their view of how the world should be.

Gear still the same. Wife drops in now and again though :cool:.

lonescout
155 posts
Joined Jan 2007

May 26, 2011 01:44 as a reply to  @ lonescout's post |  #216

megrac wrote in post #12475047 (external link)
Whats so funny is all we are talking about is a camera FFS not a gun or a jet fighter or a helmet just a camera its only a camera!

Why the need to use offensive language?

People are just using their experience in other fields to point out the errors in some thinking/logic. Then, I guess you new that...............I hope. ;)

Gear still the same. Wife drops in now and again though :cool:.

megrac
635 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 26, 2011 02:27 |  #217

lonescout wrote in post #12481180 (external link)
Why the need to use offensive language?

People are just using their experience in other fields to point out the errors in some thinking/logic. Then, I guess you new that...............I hope. ;)

Haha yeah well that was intended to show there is a large difference between a plane, gun and a camera. Yep just pointing out the errors in someones thinking/logic :)

60D | Canon 15-85 | Canon 200mm f/2.8L II | Canon 400mm f/5.6L | 580EX II. And a heap of Astrophotography gear.

Milutiche
819 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Jul 2010

May 26, 2011 02:49 as a reply to  @ megrac's post |  #218

I would call it an Alpha Rebel Ultra

www.actionimages.net.n​z
Gear List
Sports Photos on Facebook (external link)
Sports Photos on Instagram (external link)

Ebwly
570 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 26, 2011 10:49 as a reply to  @ Milutiche's post |  #219

just think along canon's lines. the flagship is the 1D models. Which will be closer to it in the next generation? 7D II? after the 7D or 70D after 60D?

only the pro/semi pro cameras go under revisions rather than the xxD series..which canon just churns out another version every 2 years or so...they make revisions on tested and accepted models, not on baseline models.

Sure the 60D is a fantastic camera, and maybe its better than the rebel line, but please, lets be frank, it's not a pro camera, rather an advanced amateur version. Polycarbonate is far cheaper than metal.

Works in all applications: plastic watch/ metal watch. plastic lens/ metal lens, etc.

7D, 17-55 f2.8 IS, 70-200 f2.8 IS II, 50 f1.4

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

May 26, 2011 10:53 |  #220

lonescout wrote in post #12481136 (external link)
Yes, frequently. Less so since 1997 ;).

Then perhaps you can explain what metal was included specifically to make it detectable at airports?

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

May 26, 2011 11:02 as a reply to  @ Milutiche's post |  #221

I know this has been said (several times) in this thread, and in others on the 60D, but some people just need to come to grips with the fact that Canon has re-aligned their product offerings with the models based on the 18mp sensor.

Go back to the 15mp crop sensor line, and the lineup was 500D (T1i) -> 50D.

With the 18mp crop sensor, they introduced the 7D, positioned between the 50D and FF. Next, they introduced the 550D (T2i) above the 500D.
Next, they introduced the 60D ("The Great Satan") between the 550D and the 7D, with the 7D for the aspiring professional or advanced enthusiast, and the 60D for the advanced amateur for which the 7D is too big a step.

Next, they further increased the capability of the "rebel" line with the 600D (T3i) to provide the Rebel buyers features like the flip screen (which should have put to bed the notion that the 60D was targeting the Rebel market, but since there are so many xxD users who continue to view the 60D as The Great Satan, it has not).

So, in the market space formerly covered by the 500D -> 50D, with the 15mp sensor, they now have 4 cameras with the 18mp sensor: 550D -> 600D -> 60D -> 7D. Even though the 7D did push the crop sensor market up-scale, it needed more room between itself and what an 18mp version of the 50D would have given it, hence the re-alignment.

That's my "from the sideline" reading of Canon's moves, anyway.

The Nikon D7000, btw, is in my view where the 50D was, in between the 60D and the 7D, so Canon does not have a direct competitor... they have straddled it with their current lineup. Whether these moves by Canon will be successful in defending their share of the market remains to be seen.

Now, maybe all of the wounded-ego xxD owners find something else to discuss...

Tom

rhys216
Goldmember
1,814 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 26, 2011 11:13 |  #222
bannedPermanent ban

RTPVid wrote in post #12482904 (external link)
The Nikon D7000, btw, is in my view where the 50D was, in between the 60D and the 7D, so Canon does not have a direct competitor... they have straddled it with their current lineup. Whether these moves by Canon will be successful in defending their share of the market remains to be seen.

Good point, although I'd argue the D7k has the slight edge over the 7D imho, so Canon does have a direct competitor to the 7D, it's just the 7D is a little over priced atm.

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,432 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 26, 2011 11:15 |  #223

RTPVid wrote in post #12482904 (external link)
...so Canon does not have a direct competitor... they have straddled it with their current lineup. ....

Canon and Nikon have pretty much always done this. None of the bodies line up feature to feature. They have always sort of straddled each other.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

May 26, 2011 11:18 |  #224

rhys216 wrote in post #12482955 (external link)
Good point, although I'd argue the D7k has the slight edge over the 7D imho, so Canon does have a direct competitor to the 7D, it's just the 7D is a little over priced atm.

How can the D7000 be better, with all that plastic? ;)

Tom

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,432 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 26, 2011 11:21 |  #225

RTPVid wrote in post #12482978 (external link)
How can the D7000 be better, with all that plastic? ;)

Instigator. :):)

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

sponsored links

19,779 views & 0 likes for this thread
Would you call a 60D a super rebel?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.