Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 25 May 2011 (Wednesday) 12:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

canon to nikon

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

May 26, 2011 07:28 |  #76

Sp1207 wrote in post #12479903 (external link)
Nikon lenses are a lot cheaper if you buy the Canon's tripod mount and hood :P

I think their lens collection is pretty much identical, with the big standouts being Nikon's stabilized wide-zoom and Canon's 85L.

The L series all come with hoods and tripod mounts...

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

sponsored links
SaxonIV
768 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 26, 2011 07:38 |  #77

Keyan wrote in post #12481774 (external link)
The L series all come with hoods and tripod mounts...

70-200 f/4 doesn't come with a tripod mount.

Stamp
680 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 26, 2011 08:25 |  #78

SaxonIV wrote in post #12481801 (external link)
70-200 f/4 doesn't come with a tripod mount.

Well neither do many other L lenses. Although, I think he meant the lenses that actually need tripod rings come with them, or the L lenses that are comparable to other brands lenses that come with tripod rings.

1Ds Mark II, 5D Mark III, Canon AE1, Yashica Electro 35, Mamiya RB67, Yashica 124, some lenses with red rings on them, and some flashey things
- My Site (external link) -
- Like It On Facebook (external link) -

rjg5
306 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 26, 2011 08:47 as a reply to  @ Stamp's post |  #79

I went from a 50d to 7d to D300s. The D300s was faster for me and more accurate with AF shooting soccer and basketball.

a little bit of Nikon stuff

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

May 26, 2011 09:05 |  #80

"The grass is always greener..."

Either system is good... Nikon or Canon.

In 2001, when I switched to Canon, it was the only game in town. Canon was the only company offering image stabilization. Anyone who used long teles, like I do, was jumping to Canon.

In addition, Canon is a much, much larger company than Nikon. In 2001 it was clear that the future was going to be digital, and I was more confident that Canon's sheer size would put them at the forefront of R&D. They took the tack of developing and investing in their own sensor manufacture, CMOS while everyone else was still buying CCDs from Kodak and Sony (Nikon still buys from Sony, altho now it's CMOS).

Canon enjoyed about a 5 year lead on everyone else with image stabilization. Similar with CMOS image sensors. Then they were the first to offer a sub-$2000 DSLR (10D, 2004). Then they were the first to offer an "affordable" full frame camera (5D, 2005).

For a good nine or ten years, everyone else was playing catch up, including Nikon.

Fast forward to today, and Nikon has largely caught up and even pulled ahead in a few respects. Now nearly everyone is using CMOS sensors, including Nikon, who had to wait until their supplier developed usable products.

Nikon and Sony both offer full frame cameras (as do some others, or they plan to... Pentax continues to make FF lenses so must have plans, for example). Today one of Sony's FF cameras is sub-$2000.

Right now, Canon still offers the widest lens selection and has better overall system compatibility (learn the difference between Nikkor AF and Nikkor AF-S before you start buying their cameras and lenses). Canon mount is the most universal, allowing a huge range of vintage lenses to be adapted for use on their cameras. Perhaps a bit ironically, one of the few vintage lens lines that can't easily be adapted is Canon's own, old mounting system.

I do think Canon has rested on their laurels a bit... perhaps let off the accelerator pedal a bit while others kept coming full steam (they had to if they wanted to survive, Canon was kicking their collective butts for a lot of years).

There are still ergonomic differences... Be sure to check out the cameras in person before deciding. Canon's "way of doing things" just fit my shooting better. But someone else might feel more comfortable with a Nikon... Or a Sony, or Pentax, or Olympus, or Fuji, or Sigma, or whatever.

Nikon has made some really smart marketing moves... Their D100/200/300 progression identified and met a "pro crop" market that Canon missed entirely until they finally introduced the 7D. Nikon has nicely differentiated themselves with lower resolution, high frame rate full frame cameras. Meanwhile Canon just continued the megapixel race, jamming more and more MP into each new generation of sensor.

Nikon has added some simple features that caught peoples' eye, while Canon was asleep at the switch. Right now an example might be that several Nikon models can bracket as many as nine frames, while Canon still sticks stubbornly with three frames. Nikon also was the first to introduce built-in wireless flash control (tho I still question it... prefer a separate module such as the ST-E2).

Someone showed me another feature recently (I forget whether it was Nikon or Oly, I was working with photographers using both) that I thought was really neat... A zooming histogram. In other words, when you were reviewing an image on the camera's LCD, as you zoomed in the histogram only displays based upon the visible area. I can see where that would be very, very useful when photographing people, or for a white wedding dress, to zoom in and check the histogram on just a select area.

In-camera editing? Well, I can set Picture Styles and shoot JPEGs with my Canon, if I wish. But frankly I am far more likely to keep shooting RAW and just don't see myself doing any real editing until I'm viewing my images on a large, color calibrated computer monitor. It might be nice to be able to crop in-camera... But I don't see much use for anything more than that.

I don't need 51 AF points either. From all I've been able to find out, Nikon AF in the latest models might be a little superior. Canon's most advanced AF still leaves a little to be desired.... But I really don't see any AF system (or metering system, etc.) ever being "perfect". That would make me, the photographer, unnecessary, wouldn't it? Careful what you ask for!

"Innovate or die" certainly appies here... Canon was the DSLR innovator through much of the first ten years of the 21st Century. Everyone else was playing catch up. Now they have caught up, and in some respects others are being more innovative... at the moment. I doubt that will last very long, though.

Does it matter? Well, competition is good for us all. All the DSLRs on the market right now are pretty darned capable of making a great shot. It's more down to the nut behind the camera, than the camera itself. Quality lenses, which all manufacturers offer, are more important than the light capturing box behind them. The camera body is more about conveniences than necessities. So just pick the one you like best and build your system around it... Consider your lens kit first, lay out a comprehensive plan of what you expect to buy and use over time... You might find some systems lacking, Nikon and Canon are the two most complete by a large margin.

It's expensive to switch back and forth, once you are relatively invested in one or the other.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

Monito
460 posts
Joined Jan 2005

May 26, 2011 09:19 as a reply to  @ amfoto1's post |  #81

Nikon lens compatibilities: what functions on what, what damage may occur (very rarely), and what capabilities go away or are available. Something like 241 cases and the only thing Rockwell is good for:

http://www.kenrockwell​.com/nikon/compatibili​ty-lens.htm (external link)

Canon System: fullframe DSLRs, lenses. Tripods, Alien Bees.
Always learning and striving to make better photographs.

12Rock
635 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2010

May 26, 2011 09:28 |  #82

amfot1 -- great post ...it's post like this that keep people coming back to forums like these .

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

May 26, 2011 10:10 |  #83

Monito wrote in post #12482243 (external link)
Nikon lens compatibilities: what functions on what, what damage may occur (very rarely), and what capabilities go away or are available. Something like 241 cases and the only thing Rockwell is good for:

http://www.kenrockwell​.com/nikon/compatibili​ty-lens.htm (external link)

In fairness, at least Nikon try to be backward compatible with their vintage, manual focus lenses.

Canon just made a clean break of it going from the FL/FD/FDN to EF/EOS mount. Doing that they pissed off a lot of photographers at the time! But now 20+ years later, it might have been a good decision. There may be some, but I'm not aware of any EF lenses that can't be used on any EOS camera.

More to the point, I was thinking about the recent/current Nikkor and how some of them have no auto focus if used on the more entry level cameras (which are the least manual focus friendly). What this means is that there's actually a somewhat limited selection of lenses available for the lower price Nikon cameras. For example, just a year or two ago there were essentially no primes that could be fully used on the lower price cameras. Nikon are gradually and steadily replacing AF Nikkors with AF-S/AF-I (more alphabet soup!), but are still many years away from offering full compatibility of all current lenses with all current cameras. Meanwhile, you almost need a college degree or an Enigma machine to sort out the used Nikkor market.

At the same time, AFAIK all Nikon FF DSLRs are fully compatible with Nikkor crop-only (DX) lenses, switching automatically to a crop sensor mode to accomodate the lens. Canon meanwhile has chosen to make their crop sensor lenses in a unique mount (EF-S) that can't even be physically fitted onto their APS-H and FF cameras (EF). Two different approaches to the muddle of crop only and FF.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

edofloat
847 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2010

May 26, 2011 11:43 |  #84

JamieMc83 wrote in post #12476871 (external link)
Sam. No real reason.
I'm fixing to look for an upgrade.
Several friends and family asked me why not just switch to Nikon.
And I figured I'd look into it. And try to come up with reasons to switch and reasons not to switch.

I did have several more lenses and three flashes.
Sold everything but what you read plus I kept the 430ex flash for now....

I think if your friends all have NIkon and lots of lenses and would allow you to borrow or trade and use each others lenses it may be worth while. It was easy for me to choose Canon since my brother and friends all use Canon and I that has allowed us to switch lenses for various uses and they have also been very helpful in learning since they know Canon's system.

|Gear | Feedback

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

May 26, 2011 11:59 as a reply to  @ edofloat's post |  #85

JamieMc83 wrote in post #12476871 (external link)
...Several friends and family asked me why not just switch to Nikon...

Paul Simon fans?

Tom

8612images
736 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 27, 2011 08:59 |  #86

I went Canon to Nikon for the d700. I do miss the crop effect but it makes up for it in its low light ability.

Steve

TheRealBoat
181 posts
Joined Jul 2010

May 27, 2011 09:15 |  #87

I would say keep Canon...I went from Nikon to Canon and the only thing that Nikon seemed to have Over canon was overall feel of the camera. To me, nikon felt really nice in the hands. I also really liked the warmness of the colors(but this might just be me or the specific cameras and what not that I have had). However, I love Canon's rotating dial on the back, as well as the ease of use and as marrietaphotog had said, the "creaminess".

5Dc---1Dc---40D
50mm F/1.8 MKI--28mm F/2.8--Tokina 20-35 F/2.8--35mm F/2.0---55-250 F/4.0-5.6

Blurr ­ Cube
...a lucky id-iot that didn't get electrocuted...
15,147 posts
Joined Aug 2010

May 27, 2011 12:40 |  #88

JamieMc83 wrote in post #12476922 (external link)
As for my family here in the mainland suggesting that I switch...
I believe it's bc my aunt in Hawaii recently got a Nikon D60 (about a year ago), and every one else here is going gaga over the photos...

Which I wont lie. They are beautiful. And the woman knows nothing about her camera really. But consider that she lives in Oahu, Hawaii so she has plenty of beautiful things and landscapes to shoot! LOL

Auntie with a D60 shooting most likely on AUTO + Living in "paradise" Hawaii = Awesome pics. ;)

Canon or Nikon... use the "system" that works for you. It's a tool that you have to be comfortable with and learn to properly use to get great results. Otherwise, get a higher end P&S. :p

| Canon EOS Systems |

jfueng
61 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 27, 2011 13:05 as a reply to  @ Blurr Cube's post |  #89

Two days ago I was thinking about selling my lenses and camera to try out that d7000. I looked at Nikon's prime lenses figured it would be too much of a hassle to find them at a decent price.

ching
Goldmember
1,370 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 27, 2011 13:20 |  #90

TheRealBoat wrote in post #12488462 (external link)
I would say keep Canon...I went from Nikon to Canon and the only thing that Nikon seemed to have Over canon was overall feel of the camera.

Nikon's flash system is light years ahead of Canon's. Also, their wide angle zooms stomp Canon's

Nikon D800

sponsored links

11,804 views & 0 likes for this thread
canon to nikon
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.