Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 24 May 2011 (Tuesday) 17:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Recent Bridal

Michelle ­ Brooks ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,192 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2009

May 24, 2011 17:06 |  #1

Comments & critique, as always! :D

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

IMAGE NOT FOUND

3. I like this one but it kinda makes me dizzy.
IMAGE NOT FOUND

4. I know, cut off the end of the train, grrr.
IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png' | Redirected to error image by ZENFOLIO PROTECTED

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Michelle Brooks Photography (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link)
Gear List

sponsored links
tolyD
723 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 24, 2011 17:15 |  #2

wow really nice. i think number two is the best.

5D MkII | 35L | 50 1.4 | 85 1.8 | 2x 580ex II |

flick (external link)r
web (external link)
facebook (external link)

Svetlana
Goldmember
3,357 posts
Joined May 2008

May 24, 2011 17:22 |  #3

Love them!!! Can you flip #3 180 degrees, Michelle? Or even 90 to the left?

Canon 7D, 5Dmk2, 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS, Canon 50 1.2L, 35 1.4L, 85 1.8, Canon 16-35L, Canon 100 2.8L IS Macro, Speedlight 580EX II x 2, 430 EX, enthusiasm.:D http://svetlanayanova.​com/ (external link)

Join me on Facebook (external link)! :)

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,253 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

May 24, 2011 17:23 |  #4

tolyD wrote in post #12471890 (external link)

I tend to disagree.
They could have been really nice.
At my end, they look way overexposed and a lot of the detail in the dress has been lost and her face and skin appears blown out in nearly all of them.
The post processing on some of them don't really help either and makes them look like they were taken using an iPhone.

Edit: an indication as to how overexposed they are is that I've just notice she's actually wearing the headpiece in the first pic.

Regards, Phil
2019 South Australian Country Press Assoc Sports Photo of the Year - Runner Up
2018 South Australian Country Press Assoc Sports Photo of the Year
2018 CAMS (now Motorsport Australia) Gold Accredited Photographer
Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office"

Michelle ­ Brooks ­ Photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,192 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2009

May 24, 2011 17:58 |  #5

tolyD wrote in post #12471890 (external link)

Thanks! #2 is actually the one she is thinking of doing her portrait from, only cropped more so she's more significant.

Svetlana wrote in post #12471929 (external link)
Love them!!! Can you flip #3 180 degrees, Michelle? Or even 90 to the left?

Thank you! Here's the rotated versions, first 180 then 90counter clock wise.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png' | Redirected to error image by ZENFOLIO PROTECTED

philwillmedia wrote in post #12471933 (external link)
I tend to disagree.
At my end, they look way overexposed and a lot of the detail in the dress has been lost and her face and skin appears blown out in nearly all of them.
The post processing on some of them don't really help either and makes them look like they were taken using an iPhone.

Edit: an indication as to how overexposed they are is that I've just notice she's actually wearing the headpiece in the first pic.

I appreciate your comments. I deliberately used a different processing, and the bride loved it. I'm not saying you're wrong, at all, and I agree with most of it (except the iPhone comment, which they couldn't have been taken with, becuase well, I don't own one ;)). But many wedding photogs featured even in the PPA mag use an intentionally over-exposed technique, and I think in some cases, it works. Sorry mine didn't for you.

Michelle Brooks Photography (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link)
Gear List

tolyD
723 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 24, 2011 18:05 |  #6

philwillmedia wrote in post #12471933 (external link)
I tend to disagree.

I disagree, I personally like the skin tones and with harsh sun light I think they came out great. they are a bit over exposed and probably intentionally for style.

flick (external link)r
web (external link)
facebook (external link)

tolyD
723 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 24, 2011 18:11 |  #7

As I was typing my post on my phone Michelle beat me to it lol.

flick (external link)r
web (external link)
facebook (external link)

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 26, 2011 09:06 |  #8

I quite like 2! The fisheye distortion really adds to the photo and makes it better than it would have been without it. That's pretty cool!

As for skin tones, I too find 3 on the hot side, but that is personal preference. I prefer natural skin tones but that's not to say that someone who doesn't is doing it incorrectly. The skin tones are actually nice in the rest, except 6 where it's just an artifact of the flare which was done purposefully, rather than brute overexposure.
Also, aside from 3, I see enough detail in the dress to appreciate the design and beauty of it. Yes there are blown highlights in the dress but I really don't find that it's blow to a degree that prevents me from appreciating it.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

mrmarklin
590 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 26, 2011 09:30 |  #9

The photos all look washed out. I'm a little vague on doing this for "style" What style would that be? Most people that pay for a photographer's work are not interested in a "style" that does not flatter the subject of the photo.

Canon EOS 5D also Mk III, 24-70L, 85 IIL, 24-105L, 70-200 f/2.8 IS L, 180 Macro L, 100 f/2.8L IS Macro, 100-400 L IS, 8-15 L Fisheye f/4, 16-35 L, 50 L , TS-E 24 L, 600 L, Extender 1.4X & 2X II, Speedlite 580EX x 2, MT-24EX Macro Twin Lite, ST-E2, Angle Finder C, RS-80N3 Remote Switch, Focusing Screen EE-D, BG-E4, Manfrotto 458B Neotec tripodw/Acratech 1155 GP Ballhead.:cool:

stratos285
56 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 26, 2011 09:37 as a reply to  @ mrmarklin's post |  #10

I really like the posses but they do look over exposed.

James

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
11,860 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Oct 2007

May 26, 2011 09:42 as a reply to  @ stratos285's post |  #11

Nice shots Michelle. I also like the blown out look to add to the creavity of things. Ive seen enough of your work to know thats where you were going with this. I know you have proper exposure down cold. I like the artistic look to this and as you indicated, its all personal preference. When your client raves about it, Thats all that matters. Nice work and way to get creative:cool:

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

jcolman
Goldmember
2,656 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2008

May 26, 2011 09:57 |  #12

You say that the bride loved them. Which image or images did she select to have enlarged?

They are "artistic" photos and I congratulate you on your vision, but I didn't see any shots that shows off the bride and her dress very well. #4 comes the closest but like you said, you cropped off her train.

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.com (external link)

pbelarge
Goldmember
2,837 posts
Joined Jun 2010

May 26, 2011 10:01 as a reply to  @ jcolman's post |  #13

What about darkening the backgrounds somewhat...

just a few of my thoughts...
Pierre

collierportraits
Goldmember
1,896 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 26, 2011 10:20 |  #14

Nice shots... I also love #2, but there's some weird burning in the upper left corner? Perhaps you overburned this area in PP?

Yes, these images are blown out and yes, that's the trend. And while not commenting on either of them, let me say this: Make sure this is a style that YOU love and that YOU are drawn to. If you try patterning your photography after every trend that sweeps along, your work will be all over the map and you'll never end with a distinct look that is 'you'. I would encourage you to follow your own eye, and do the things that are really appealing to you. You may notice that most of the amazing, unbelievable photographers out there have a very distinct look and it's because they may notice the trends, yes, but they're shooting their own style and what appeals to them. But I digress.

As to the photos, I would also be interested to know which image she chose for her wall portrait. One that she looks amazingly beautiful AND shows this gorgeous dress off. She's one of the uniquely few brides that can actually carry off the strapless, sleeveless gown that every bride seems to love these days and SO FEW seem to be flattered by.

As to the other shots, the angles seem to be lower than necessary. I realize you were going for sun flare in the last one, but low angles on people isn't always the best. Shooting up into the nostrils and such. And, as always, watch cutting off trains, but you already know that. The IMPORTANT thing is that your client was very happy! So, good job! ;)

5D3 | 16-35L | 45 TS-E | 50L | 85L | 100L | 135L | 24-70L | 70-200 II L | 580s | Zero, TT & Crumplers | and an X100! :D

collierportraits
Goldmember
1,896 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 26, 2011 10:20 |  #15

p.s. I love the 180 rotated image. Much improved!

5D3 | 16-35L | 45 TS-E | 50L | 85L | 100L | 135L | 24-70L | 70-200 II L | 580s | Zero, TT & Crumplers | and an X100! :D

sponsored links

2,549 views & 0 likes for this thread
Recent Bridal
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.