Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 24 May 2011 (Tuesday) 17:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Recent Bridal

Michelle ­ Brooks ­ Photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,192 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2009

May 26, 2011 10:44 |  #16

picturecrazy wrote in post #12482177 (external link)
I quite like 2! The fisheye distortion really adds to the photo and makes it better than it would have been without it. That's pretty cool!

As for skin tones, I too find 3 on the hot side, but that is personal preference. I prefer natural skin tones but that's not to say that someone who doesn't is doing it incorrectly. The skin tones are actually nice in the rest, except 6 where it's just an artifact of the flare which was done purposefully, rather than brute overexposure.
Also, aside from 3, I see enough detail in the dress to appreciate the design and beauty of it. Yes there are blown highlights in the dress but I really don't find that it's blow to a degree that prevents me from appreciating it.

Thank you, Lloyd! I rented the FE for a wedding before this shoot & I really liked the effect it gave to some of the shots. This is actually the photo she chose for her portrait, only cropped to a 14x11.

I also usually prefer more of a natural skin tone and less brightness. But I kept seeing this look in different wedding photo sources & thought I'd try it if the bride liked it, and she did. I like it as an alternative from time to time, if the subject lends towards the process, which I felt this girl did. I should add that this is just a sample of the session, obviously, and there are other photos where the details of the dress are very apparent, but the bride still chose one of these I've posted as her favorite.

Lloyd, when you mention the artifact in #6, do you mean that purplish cast on her arm? I can't view the shots here at my other job, but I remember being aggravated that I couldn't get rid of that & wondered what it was.

mrmarklin wrote in post #12482297 (external link)
The photos all look washed out. I'm a little vague on doing this for "style" What style would that be? Most people that pay for a photographer's work are not interested in a "style" that does not flatter the subject of the photo.

Ok. Again, there's no style or process that is going to appeal to everyone, and apparently this one doesn't to you. That's cool. This bride & her mom thought she was beautiful in the images and so do I.

stratos285 wrote in post #12482327 (external link)
I really like the posses but they do look over exposed.

James

Thanks, James, appreciate your comment.

umphotography wrote in post #12482352 (external link)
Nice shots Michelle. I also like the blown out look to add to the creavity of things. Ive seen enough of your work to know thats where you were going with this. I know you have proper exposure down cold. I like the artistic look to this and as you indicated, its all personal preference. When your client raves about it, Thats all that matters. Nice work and way to get creative:cool:

Well, thank you, this is a very generous comment & I have to say, undeserved! I wish I had exposure down cold but I still struggle sometimes; however, I can say my husband & I have come a long way from where we started. Anyhoo, thanks for your morale boost! I enjoy trying new things & breaking out of my comfort zone from time to time.

jcolman wrote in post #12482442 (external link)
You say that the bride loved them. Which image or images did she select to have enlarged?

They are "artistic" photos and I congratulate you on your vision, but I didn't see any shots that shows off the bride and her dress very well. #4 comes the closest but like you said, you cropped off her train.

As stated in my response to Lloyd above, she chose the FE shot cropped. Yes, I am trying with each bridal session to pay more attention to getting a few good shots of the full dress-- I do tend to get more caught up in facial expressions, creative angles, etc, that's a weakness I recognize. We did get some full length shots without the cut off train :lol: but again, this bride preferred the "artistic" FE shot. Please keep after me when you see me reverting to my old habits & enocurage me to do better!

Michelle Brooks Photography (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link)
Gear List

Michelle ­ Brooks ­ Photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,192 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2009

May 26, 2011 11:32 |  #17

pbelarge wrote in post #12482474 (external link)
What about darkening the backgrounds somewhat...

Could be a good idea!

collierportraits wrote in post #12482608 (external link)
Nice shots... I also love #2, but there's some weird burning in the upper left corner? Perhaps you overburned this area in PP?

Yes, these images are blown out and yes, that's the trend. And while not commenting on either of them, let me say this: Make sure this is a style that YOU love and that YOU are drawn to. If you try patterning your photography after every trend that sweeps along, your work will be all over the map and you'll never end with a distinct look that is 'you'. I would encourage you to follow your own eye, and do the things that are really appealing to you. You may notice that most of the amazing, unbelievable photographers out there have a very distinct look and it's because they may notice the trends, yes, but they're shooting their own style and what appeals to them. But I digress.

As to the photos, I would also be interested to know which image she chose for her wall portrait. One that she looks amazingly beautiful AND shows this gorgeous dress off. She's one of the uniquely few brides that can actually carry off the strapless, sleeveless gown that every bride seems to love these days and SO FEW seem to be flattered by.

As to the other shots, the angles seem to be lower than necessary. I realize you were going for sun flare in the last one, but low angles on people isn't always the best. Shooting up into the nostrils and such. And, as always, watch cutting off trains, but you already know that. The IMPORTANT thing is that your client was very happy! So, good job! ;)

collierportraits wrote in post #12482611 (external link)
p.s. I love the 180 rotated image. Much improved!

Darn, I can't view the photos here so I can't see what you mean about that left corner! I'll have to look at home. Glad you like it! It was actually one of my favorites from the session.

I understand exactly what you mean about styles. I really do like this look, but again, not for everyone or every session. I'm not sure we have "our" style clearly defined yet, we've been doing this such a short time, but we're getting there. Myabe I'll be the Lady Gaga of photography-- you never know what look will be pulled out! :lol: j/k

Yeah I usually try not to shoot up the nose, but like you mentioned, some of these were to get that flare, and others I just felt like it might be ok since she was so darn photogenic. What you said about her pulling off the sleeveless gown is so true-- we had a bridal shoot a few weekes ago where I just cringed when I saw the bride had chosen a sleeveless dress!

Thanks so much for taking the time to post all this for me, I am really learning to be more cognizant of things because of reminders like this.

Michelle Brooks Photography (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link)
Gear List

Bentapp2
205 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 26, 2011 11:35 |  #18

I like them a lot. I enjoy bright pictures, but the dress is bordering on amorphous white blob.

Vermin87
Goldmember
1,036 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 26, 2011 14:46 |  #19

pbelarge wrote in post #12482474 (external link)
What about darkening the backgrounds somewhat...

Or you could try adding some vignetting to the corners to make the subject pop a little more!

Gear
Flickr (external link)
Website (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2,544 views & 0 likes for this thread
Recent Bridal
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.