Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 26 May 2011 (Thursday) 13:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

PLM v2 help

waynethegiant
324 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 26, 2011 13:37 |  #1

Does anyone have a step by step on how to put this together? I have the speedring version for AB800. I'm following the instructions but I honestly can't understand it. I think i am an idiot. Someone please help.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II + BG-E6 Battery Grip
Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM | Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L | Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM
AlienBee B800 | Canon Speedlite 580EX II
Tamrac 5586 Expedition 6x

sponsored links
Frogday
72 posts
Joined Jan 2009

May 26, 2011 14:28 |  #2

I have the Elinchrom version, but assembly is probably the same. Just open it like a regular umbrella and slide the center piece on to the short rod. There is another rod that fits inside the one that is attached to the PLM. Slide it in and then adjust the center piece with the thumb screw until it lines up with the hole on the rod that is attached to the PLM.

After that, you only need to connect it to the speedring. It should have a thumb screw and two lock washers. Put one washer on the screw and then put that into the hole of the speedring facing out. Put the other lock washer on and then screw it to the end of the rod that you slid on the PLM.

5D MIV | 5D MII | 7D | 30D | D30 | A2E | Elan 2e | AE1p | FTb | SD1100IS | G7x
EF 85 F1.8 | EF 100 F2.8 macro | EF-S 15-85 IS
EF 24 F1.4L II | EF 35 F1.4L | EF 85 F1.2L II | EF 135 F2.0L | EF 8-15 F4L | EF 11-24 F4L | EF16-35 F2.8L II | EF 24-70 F2.8L | EF 24-70 F2.8L II | EF 70-200 F2.8L IS II

waynethegiant
THREAD ­ STARTER
324 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 26, 2011 15:00 |  #3

i think im missing the little screw that you use the allen for. Damn. Would i be able to find that at home depot?

waynethegiant
THREAD ­ STARTER
324 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 26, 2011 15:00 |  #4

basically my rod came detached from the tip of the umbrella. i dont think thats normal..

jolyroger7
232 posts
Joined May 2010

May 26, 2011 18:45 as a reply to  @ waynethegiant's post |  #5

Hope these help some.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE NOT FOUND

At this point the shaft & speedring are attatched.
IMAGE NOT FOUND

No, I'm not a professional photographer, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
1Ds MKII |1DMKIII | EOS M | Sigma 50 1.4 | Sigma 85 | Canon 135L | Sigma 150 OS | Canon 17-40L | Sigma 24-70 2.8 | Sigma 70-200 II | Canon 100-400L IS

Frogday
72 posts
Joined Jan 2009

May 26, 2011 18:46 |  #6

waynethegiant wrote in post #12484250 (external link)
i think im missing the little screw that you use the allen for. Damn. Would i be able to find that at home depot?

The set screw is only to hold the umbrella rod inside the piece that connects to the speedring. You don't need this or the umbrella rod if you are attaching to the speedring.

5D MIV | 5D MII | 7D | 30D | D30 | A2E | Elan 2e | AE1p | FTb | SD1100IS | G7x
EF 85 F1.8 | EF 100 F2.8 macro | EF-S 15-85 IS
EF 24 F1.4L II | EF 35 F1.4L | EF 85 F1.2L II | EF 135 F2.0L | EF 8-15 F4L | EF 11-24 F4L | EF16-35 F2.8L II | EF 24-70 F2.8L | EF 24-70 F2.8L II | EF 70-200 F2.8L IS II

Csae
Goldmember
3,350 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 26, 2011 20:34 |  #7

jolyroger7 wrote in post #12485348 (external link)
IMAGE NOT FOUND

The allen key is for a screw thats inside the hole on that picture.

It should already be inside, but isn't crucial.

Personally, i went to my hardware store, and replaced both of those tiny screws with bigger ones non-allen, if you screw the PCB allen one in too much it will literally fall inside.

With a normal screw, i am now able to lock inside not just the center shaft but also the umbrella rod permanently, this will not help if you are using the speedring set-up though.

Feel free to call me Case.
CasePhoto.ca (external link) - FanPage (external link)
-Montreal based Photography.

waynethegiant
THREAD ­ STARTER
324 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 28, 2011 06:26 |  #8

Csae wrote in post #12485889 (external link)
The allen key is for a screw thats inside the hole on that picture.

It should already be inside, but isn't crucial.

Personally, i went to my hardware store, and replaced both of those tiny screws with bigger ones non-allen, if you screw the PCB allen one in too much it will literally fall inside.

With a normal screw, i am now able to lock inside not just the center shaft but also the umbrella rod permanently, this will not help if you are using the speedring set-up though.

I think that is what happened. Alright i'll just go to my local hardware store and get one with a knob. Thanks guys :cool:

thebishopp
Goldmember
1,903 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 28, 2011 06:35 |  #9

Great suggestion on replacing the screws. I have a plmv2 as well and it did take me a minute to figure it out lol. I think I will head to home depot / lowes and replace the screws as well.

"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data, ability to repeat discredited memes, and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Also, be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor even implied. Any irrelevancies you can mention will also be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." My Zen (external link)

sponsored links

1,851 views & 0 likes for this thread
PLM v2 help
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.