Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 28 May 2011 (Saturday) 07:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EOS Utility & Windows7

bignikko
Hatchling
1 post
Joined May 2011

May 28, 2011 07:59 |  #1

Hi all, this is my first post!

Does anyone have the lowdown on EOS Utility and windows7?

I can't get it to work and I understand Canon are dragging their heels a bit. I'd like to get tethering working, if anyone knows of a fix or an alternative?

sponsored links
David ­ Ransley
673 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

May 28, 2011 08:01 |  #2

Any specific errors? I have Windows 7 and the latest versions from Canon and it works just fine. I am also using a 64bit version of Win2k7.

DRH

DiMAn0684
Goldmember
1,933 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 28, 2011 09:03 as a reply to  @ David Ransley's post |  #3

works fine for me on W7 Ultimate x64 and W7 Ultimate x86. The release I'm using is 2.6.0.0

Canon 5D MkII | Canon 16-35mm f/4 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | Canon 24-105mm f/4 | Tamron 70-300mm VC | Canon 430EX II | Benro A2682TB1

RHChan84
Goldmember
2,320 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 28, 2011 09:43 |  #4

Works fine with Win7 64-Bit.

Canon (60D Gripped | 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS | 40mm f2.8 | 50mm f1.8 | 70-200 F4L IS| 430 EXII)
Tamron (17-50 f2.8 VC)
Feedback
Facebook (external link)

flickr (external link)

E ­ James ­ P
Goldmember
1,144 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 28, 2011 11:34 |  #5

bignikko What camera are you using and could you describe your computer setup, The more information you give the better people can help you.

Gearflickr (external link)
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955) . "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

nate42nd
767 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 28, 2011 15:22 |  #6

EOS utility works fine with Windows 7. If you go to your camera on Canon's site then go down to drivers and software.....choose Windows 7 and get the latest version from there. It works great. You might need a patch if you have been using XP or something.

http://www.usa.canon.c​om …el_t1i#DriversA​ndSoftware (external link)

7D - - 17-55 F/2.8 - 24-105 F/4L - 100mm F/2.8 - 50mm F/1.8 - S95 / To see all click here
My Flickr (external link)

twixraider
114 posts
Joined May 2011

May 28, 2011 15:41 |  #7

bignikko wrote in post #12493649 (external link)

I can't get it to work and I understand Canon are dragging their heels a bit. I'd like to get tethering working, if anyone knows of a fix or an alternative?

When your camera is a 350D, then you have to change the communication on your cam to Print/PTP, then the transmission will work with Windows 7. But it will be slower, so you may better use a cardreader with Zoombrowser.

Super Rebel, | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, | EF 70-200mm f/4 L IS, |EF 50mm f/1.8 II, |Canon 580EX II.

E ­ James ­ P
Goldmember
1,144 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 28, 2011 15:59 |  #8

twixraider He talking about attaching his camera to a laptop or computer to have direct viewing and also controlling the camera from laptop or desktop , A cardreader is not what he needs.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955) . "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

twixraider
114 posts
Joined May 2011

May 28, 2011 16:12 |  #9

E James P wrote in post #12495393 (external link)
twixraider He talking about attaching his camera to a laptop or computer to have direct viewing and also controlling the camera from laptop or desktop , A cardreader is not what he needs.

I use Eos Utility to transfer my pictures to the computer and the TO didn't specify his problem. I could not read that he wanted to remote his camera, but maybe my english is not good enough.:cool:

Super Rebel, | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, | EF 70-200mm f/4 L IS, |EF 50mm f/1.8 II, |Canon 580EX II.

WaltA
Goldmember
3,867 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2006

May 28, 2011 16:24 |  #10

bignikko wrote in post #12493649 (external link)

Right here.

I have no problems with Win 7 but I've heard others have to runa virtual XP session to get it working.

Walt
400D, 5D, 7D and a bag of stuff

Mike ­ Deep
Goldmember
1,912 posts
Gallery: 94 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Apr 2008

May 28, 2011 16:27 |  #11

They mentioned tethering, which means remote in this case. No mention of their camera model, though, so there's no telling what the problem is.

mikedeep.com (external link) - rocket launch photography

E ­ James ­ P
Goldmember
1,144 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 28, 2011 16:27 |  #12

twixraider
I thought that might be the problem ,so that was why I took the time to explain what tethering means.
and your English is a lot better than my German is.:D I speak about 3 words:lol:

twixraider
114 posts
Joined May 2011

May 28, 2011 16:46 |  #13

Ok good. When it's a 350D then he can forget using it remotely(tethering:oop​s:) . There is no alternativ when using Windows 7 so far i know. But the hint with the Virtual PC will work. I tried it myself with VitualBox, WinXP and my old 350D and it worked.

FarnhamBee
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jun 08, 2011 04:51 |  #14

Weird issue here with EOS Utility on Windows 7 Pro 64bit w/SP1.

Had previously used without problem for tethered shooting but when I tried to use it a few days ago it stopped working - if I either connect a camera or attempt to run the app directly I get a message box "EOS Utility has stopped working..."

After much digging around in the Windows event log it looked like there was a permissions issue so I tried 'run as administrator' & it now works - apart from having to confirm the run as admin thing each time I want to use it - which is a pain :-(

I removed the app completely from my system & also removed all references to my 1D MKIVs from the registry & installed the latest version of the app (2.10.0.0) & still see the same issue.

I installed onto my wife's laptop & it works straight away no problems at all.

Realise this might be a question better suited to a Windows 7 geek forum but anyone else seen anything similar or have any ideas?

Mark

David ­ Ransley
673 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 09, 2011 03:20 |  #15

FarnhamBee wrote in post #12556528 (external link)
Weird issue here with EOS Utility on Windows 7 Pro 64bit w/SP1.

Had previously used without problem for tethered shooting but when I tried to use it a few days ago it stopped working - if I either connect a camera or attempt to run the app directly I get a message box "EOS Utility has stopped working..."

After much digging around in the Windows event log it looked like there was a permissions issue so I tried 'run as administrator' & it now works - apart from having to confirm the run as admin thing each time I want to use it - which is a pain :-(

I removed the app completely from my system & also removed all references to my 1D MKIVs from the registry & installed the latest version of the app (2.10.0.0) & still see the same issue.

I installed onto my wife's laptop & it works straight away no problems at all.

Realise this might be a question better suited to a Windows 7 geek forum but anyone else seen anything similar or have any ideas?

Mark

Click on the start button and in the search box, type UAC. It will show a list of things and at the top should be - "Change User Account Control Settings". Open that and you should see a verticle slider bar. My one is not at the top, but at the second one from there. Possibly try one lower, but do try and stay away from the bottom option.

The second one from the top is the default setting. Verify that you ahve that set.

Also try the following:
1. Type in search box again: eos, and the eos utility shoul list at the top
2. Right click and select properties on the EOS Utility's icon
3. The properties dialogue will show
4. Third TAB from the left is "Compatability"
5. At the bottom is "Privilege Level" and a tick box for "Run this program as administrator"
6. Set that setting and run the utility manually to verify that it uses your admin token.
7. Then test to see if you are happy with the results.

In all of this I am assuming that your logon account has admin privililedges anyway on the desktop.

Hope it helps

DRH

sponsored links

9,163 views & 0 likes for this thread
EOS Utility & Windows7
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.