Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 27 May 2011 (Friday) 16:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Big Lee Stopper

F-16 ­ Crew ­ Dog
I'm the worlds biggest BAAAAFOON!!!!
208 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 27, 2011 16:37 |  #1

Anyone know where I can get one? I have had one on back order for 2 months now at 2filters. Called them yesterday, still no word as to when they will be getting backorders shipped. I need to have one by July.

Thanks Yall...

Gripped 40D,Gripped 50D, Gripped 7D, 1DX, 70-200 2.8L IS V2, 400L, 600L F4, 24-105L, EFS10-22, 8-15L, 50 1.8, 85 1.8, Tokina 17-35, 580 EX II (2), EF1.4 II Extender
WWW.Runningwildimages.​com (external link)

sponsored links
Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

May 27, 2011 17:16 |  #2

I wonder if their difficulty in meeting demand has anything to do with a "Big Lee Stopper."

- James -
www.feedthewant.com (external link)
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

F-16 ­ Crew ­ Dog
THREAD ­ STARTER
208 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 27, 2011 20:08 |  #3

Was that suppose to be funny? Sure as heck did not help.

Gripped 40D,Gripped 50D, Gripped 7D, 1DX, 70-200 2.8L IS V2, 400L, 600L F4, 24-105L, EFS10-22, 8-15L, 50 1.8, 85 1.8, Tokina 17-35, 580 EX II (2), EF1.4 II Extender

monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2009

May 27, 2011 20:13 |  #4

quite difficult actually... even on Ebay they are not available :lol:

www.monk3y.com (external link) | My GEAR

F-16 ­ Crew ­ Dog
THREAD ­ STARTER
208 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 27, 2011 21:14 |  #5

Thanks! Any suggestions on something like it, with the same quality?

monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2009

May 27, 2011 21:38 |  #6

I only know of the Hitech 10 stop filter... not as good as Lee but this guy just received a new copy of the Hitech filter and he might do a review soon as well

http://blog.robertstra​chan.com …10-stop-nd-filter-review/ (external link)

I think you can get the Hitech 10 stop here...
http://www.formatt.co.​uk/default.aspx (external link)

I actually can't find it on their site so you might need to email them...

www.monk3y.com (external link) | My GEAR

BzBrian
72 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 27, 2011 23:16 |  #7

You can also try the B+W 3.0 ND; it's pretty well liked.

I'm a happy Canon SLR and Leica rangefinder user. bw!

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

May 28, 2011 02:54 |  #8

F-16 Crew Dog wrote in post #12491513 (external link)
Was that suppose to be funny? Sure as heck did not help.

Yeah.

- James -
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 28, 2011 03:24 |  #9

Indecent Exposure wrote in post #12490782 (external link)
I wonder if their difficulty in meeting demand has anything to do with a "Big Lee Stopper."

Hehe! Helpful as ever! ;)

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

May 28, 2011 04:22 |  #10

See! That's funny, right?! Like there's something out there that's big and it's somehow stopping Lee from delivering product. I slay me.

I sure didn't mean to offend. If I did I would have said something like, "Navy > Air Force." But I didn't... even though they are. I figured, since the OP started yet one more thread about something that's being discussed in another thread ON THE FIRST PAGE of this subforum, and being discussed in every thread that even so much as mentions a Lee product, that a little fun wasn't out of the question.

But, since apparently the 300th thread about Lee availability or product locating strategies is just as serious business as the first, let me attempt to make ammends by offering this bit of advice. Order the Lee Big Stopper from Adorama. Do not compromise and go with something else (I know this is the internet and if this thread were to go on long enough (please God, no) a contrarian or two will chime in as say X brand works for them. La ti da. In this age of the extinct consensus, the Lee 10-stop is as close to a consensus as you are going to get in this hobby. Be patient and wait for one if compromise isn't in your vocabulary. Though, if compromise is in your vocabulary, God bless you - you're going to have much more fun collecting gear that most people.). Order it from Adorama online, get on their waiting list. They do a respectible job getting Lee product in and getting them out to people in their queue. When you eventually get it, mention to them that you have an Adorama flier "Winter Specials 2011" and the price for the Big Stopper is advertised as 109.95. They should store credit the $20 difference. (I wouldn't trust that you could get that price when you order it initially, they can probably claim something like the item must be in stock to be eligible or something, I don't know. You can try and report back to us. /shrug)

Good luck with whatever you choose, or whatever chooses you.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

- James -
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

F-16 ­ Crew ­ Dog
THREAD ­ STARTER
208 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 28, 2011 09:21 |  #11

Monk3y- Thanks for the info and the links! Good info!
Indecent Exposure- Yea...Its funny now. Guess I am just a little frustrated having to wait so long, but your advice is well taken and I will wait and not compromise on something else! I had no idea about a "Waiting" list, so I now have my name on it at B&H as well as Adorama, and 2filter. Guess I should have done a search before posting??? O by the way... Air Force is > Navy! HAHA!!!

Bollan
635 posts
Joined May 2006

May 28, 2011 10:28 |  #12

You can get it on E-Bay for top dollars if you want it right now. Its all about priorities and if you think its worth splashing the cash right now.

Its here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk …rs_JN&hash=item​4cf7816c5c (external link) or here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk …rs_JN&hash=item​25610543f4 (external link)

I know their prices are totally outrageous but i haven't seen a Big Stopper going for much less that last six months to be honest on E-Bay. Every time ones come up for bidding it usually ends around 200€.

Though i must say im pretty impressed with the screw-in Hoya ND400 (9stops). Ive used it for a long time now and wouldn't change it for the Big Stopper. My best mate uses a Lee Big Stopper and every time we compare our shots of the same scene, Hoya always comes up on top, producing more natural looking results. The good thing about Hoya is that the AF works pretty well with the filter on whilst the Big Stopper always need to be removed to focus except in broad daylight.

Here are some examples what the Hoya can produce http://fiveprime.org …nd/Tags/nd400/I​nteresting (external link)

While i really like the Hitech range of ND grads unfortunately their solid 10-stop ND produces some hefty magenta casts most of the time. Also its extremely prone to flare. They have now released an updated version called Hitech Pro ND 10 stop which suppose to be much better regarding to the magenta cast.

The B+W 10 stop version is easy to discard as it produces very strong magenta or green casts.

My Gear
My Equestrian Gallery (external link)
My Flickr (external link)

edofloat
847 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2010

May 28, 2011 11:19 |  #13

Bollan wrote in post #12494136 (external link)
You can get it on E-Bay for top dollars if you want it right now. Its all about priorities and if you think its worth splashing the cash right now.

Its here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk …rs_JN&hash=item​4cf7816c5c (external link) or here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk …rs_JN&hash=item​25610543f4 (external link)

I know their prices are totally outrageous but i haven't seen a Big Stopper going for much less that last six months to be honest on E-Bay. Every time ones come up for bidding it usually ends around 200€.

Yes that is a premium price almost $300 with shipping in USD.

|Gear | Feedback

F-16 ­ Crew ­ Dog
THREAD ­ STARTER
208 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 28, 2011 12:45 |  #14

EBay- Forget that! No way can I pay that! Wife would kill me. Do yall know if Hoya makes them in a 4x6. I looked at B&H and all I could find was the screw in type. Kinda wanna invest in the Lee Holder, for comp and focus. Am I way off base here?

edofloat
847 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2010

May 28, 2011 12:49 |  #15

F-16 Crew Dog wrote in post #12494695 (external link)
EBay- Forget that! No way can I pay that! Wife would kill me. Do yall know if Hoya makes them in a 4x6. I looked at B&H and all I could find was the screw in type. Kinda wanna invest in the Lee Holder, for comp and focus. Am I way off base here?

I'd look for test shots of each filter if you can find them, the hues seem to differ. I'm thinking the only one to get is the Lee or B+H The holder should be okay and they seem to be in shorter supply too along with the 77mm adapter ring.

|Gear | Feedback

sponsored links

3,696 views & 0 likes for this thread
Big Lee Stopper
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.