Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 21 May 2011 (Saturday) 18:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Looking for a bag to meet my needs

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

May 24, 2011 13:21 |  #16

Lowepro Faskpack 350...amazing side access design.

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

sponsored links
gotak
949 posts
Joined May 2009

May 24, 2011 14:47 |  #17

Couple of quick points. As already said that's no perfect bag just ones you can live with.

Depending on the person (built, height, tolerance to pain, and/or need to be macho/amazonian) some can carry what others would never attempt in a shoulder bag and say it's fine. Your gear load isn't too bad but not something you can carry around all day on your feet without feeling it. Even if you put it in a backpack I think you'll find it's a bit heavier than you'd want.

I have tried a lot of different bags and the backpacks are the most comfortable but no matter what they try to do with it I haven't found one that's actually conductive to easy access of gears. Sling bags are suppose to be better but again they suffer the same load issues as shoulder bags and when they get bigger they are pretty unwieldy. Plus most sling bags tends to result in access problems due to naturally with a slim profile and side access you end up stacking lenses etc. As soon as you find you need to take the sling off to safely change a lens you'd wonder why it's suppose to be easy to use. From everything I have seen and try the most ergonomic in terms of access is a well designed shoulder bag.

The problem with the shoulder bag is multifold though. Of course there's the load issue we already all know. The other is that most, even the ones supposedly don't look like camera bags, can't help but looks like bags with valuables in it. So while those so called "stealth" bags might make people not realize you have a camera on you a lot of times they looks like you'd have a laptop inside. And to a thief what's the differences between a laptop and a DSLR? Both can be quite valuable and one can argue the laptop's easier to unload than a pro DSLR and L glass.

Anyhow if you want an easy to use bag that's not going to kill your shoulder I'd suggest that, as already said, you only take what you actually need with you. That or invest in a backpack and get over the bulky and sometimes inconvenient fact of live with one.

http://bubble-trees.com/ (external link)
7D x2,, 50 f1.8, 11-16 f2.8, 17-55 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 IS II, 100 2.8L, 430EX, 580EX, Di866, pixel king wireless TTL trigger.

huntersdad
Goldmember
4,655 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 24, 2011 14:56 |  #18

Lowepro 200 or 250 Classified. The 250 allows for a laptop too. Either should hold all that gear. I wear mine across my body as opposed to on the shoulder and it is much more comfortable. Additionally, it looks like a diaper bag, which works for me since my wife and I have a 5 month old.

Facebook (external link)

http://WWW.BLENDEDLIGH​TPHOTOGRAPHY.COM (external link)
1DxII x 2 / 24-70L II / 70-200L II / 85 1.4L / 300 II / AD600Pros

dalto
THREAD ­ STARTER
758 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 25, 2011 17:58 |  #19

Thanks for the advice everyone. I am leaning towards the ThinkTank Retrospective.

I just need to decide if I want to go with the 10 or the 20. I went to a local shop to look them over along with a few other bags. The 20 would let me have the 70-200 with the body attached but it is quite a bit bigger.

hfgarris
Goldmember
1,760 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 25, 2011 22:32 |  #20

dalto wrote in post #12478841 (external link)
Thanks for the advice everyone. I am leaning towards the ThinkTank Retrospective.

I just need to decide if I want to go with the 10 or the 20. I went to a local shop to look them over along with a few other bags. The 20 would let me have the 70-200 with the body attached but it is quite a bit bigger.

Actually, both the -20 and the -10 can do that, but it is pretty tight with the shorter -10 even though the flap will still close. There are several threads here regarding this point with photos. I have both, and find I do prefer the -20 when I have the camera mounted on the 70-200/2.8 or on the 100-400 because there is about 1" of room at the top where I can fold and store my R-Strap when everything is packed up. However, the Retro-20 definitely feels much larger when wearing it than the Retro-10, even though they have the same footprint.;)

-howard

dalto
THREAD ­ STARTER
758 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 28, 2011 20:55 |  #21

So I went to a local store today to decide between the TT Retrospective 10 and 20. I dragged all the gear I typically carry into the shop and started stuffing them into bags. I liked to 20 better. Although, I was a little hesitant about the way the strap felt on my neck.

The salesman I was working with brought me a Temba Messenger bag to try. I liked the feel of this bag quite a bit better. It seemed to hold my equipment just as well.

On an impulse, I took it home with me. Before I take the tags off it, are there any major problems with this bag? Anything I need to worry about?

ntotrr
73 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 28, 2011 21:32 |  #22

dalto wrote in post #12496553 (external link)
So I went to a local store today to decide between the TT Retrospective 10 and 20. I dragged all the gear I typically carry into the shop and started stuffing them into bags. I liked to 20 better. Although, I was a little hesitant about the way the strap felt on my neck.

The salesman I was working with brought me a Temba Messenger bag to try. I liked the feel of this bag quite a bit better. It seemed to hold my equipment just as well.

On an impulse, I took it home with me. Before I take the tags off it, are there any major problems with this bag? Anything I need to worry about?

I use a Tenba Messenger bag, I like it a lot. It's not my only bag as I usually use a sling bag but there are times, such as when I go into Manhattan for a day, that I like to use the messenger bag.

Trique ­ Daddi
Goldmember
1,082 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2007

May 28, 2011 22:10 |  #23

My wife gave me a ThinkTank Airport Security last year which is a roller bag. You can "backpack" it also but I never have. Simply love it!

Canon 7DMKII,7D 40D, 20D, CANON 100-400mm IS 4.5/5.6L, Canon 70-200mm 2.8L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 100mm 2.8 macro, Kenko Extension Tubes, Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS, 580EX II Flash,Gittos MH 5580 monopod, Thinktank Airport Takeoff.

sponsored links

3,889 views & 0 likes for this thread
Looking for a bag to meet my needs
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.