Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 28 May 2011 (Saturday) 06:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tamron's VC . Is that shake normal ?

Alarm
232 posts
Joined May 2010

May 28, 2011 06:47 |  #1

Hello. I just received the Tamron 70-300 with VC.
I read its manual and it mentions that :

"With the vc mechanism there are occassions when the image in the viewfinder blurs after the shutter button is pressed down halfway"

Fine, this "blur" is actually not a blur but more like a shaking. The problem is that it does it every time i try to refocus after about 1 second. Surely this is not silent at all.
So if i press the shutter button halfway, i get that shaking, when i release it, that shaking comes again. After 1-2 seconds when i try to focus somewhere else, that shaking comes again. I do understand that its the VC mechanism, but i've never noticed something similar with the IS.

Is this normal ?

Furthermore, the lens has full time manual function. In the manual it says :
"First set the focus mode to AF, You can adjust the focus manualy while turning the focus ring in the shutter button pressed lightly"

Bellow this it mentions also : "When set on AF mode, interfering with focusing ring may cause serious damage to the lens mechanism"

This sentence says tells me in other words to use the full time manual with caution as it may damage the mechanism. Do i understand it wrong ?

I thought that i just AF and while having the shutter halfpressed i can override with the focus ring. Not ?

:: Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes ::

sponsored links
Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

May 28, 2011 06:49 |  #2

Its normal. The canon 55-250 does the same thing as do some other lenses.

As for the full time manual, they simply mean don't turn the ring when the camera is actually trying to focus on something. You're fine turning it once the AF mechanism has stopped working.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

Accessoire
Goldmember
1,119 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 28, 2011 08:05 |  #3

man, I hate Tamron's VC, returned a lens because of it
it was slow and made shooting with it a pain in the tookus =/

Alarm
THREAD ­ STARTER
232 posts
Joined May 2010

May 28, 2011 08:24 |  #4

Accessoire wrote in post #12493660 (external link)
man, I hate Tamron's VC, returned a lens because of it
it was slow and made shooting with it a pain in the tookus =/

I guess you are talking about the USD , how can the VC be slow ? I am talking about the VC

Accessoire
Goldmember
1,119 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 28, 2011 08:27 |  #5

could be a combination of the two
but the copy I had would shake and shake so that it was difficult to even see what I was trying to focus on, I was missing shots that needed to be taken quickly because of it.
maybe it was just me? I don't know, but it bugged me to no end. =/

TTuna ­ Eye
202 posts
Joined May 2011

May 28, 2011 08:29 |  #6

I have had great luck with that lens. The VC is a bit noisy but I have not noticed the image shake. I shhot it hand held a lot and really like the images I am getting.

6D, 60D, 100L, 24-105L, Sig 150-500, nifty 50, EF-S 60mm, Tam SP70-200 f/2.8 Di VC, Underwater gear T2i in a Watershot housing with Inon S2000 strobes.

Daskid
152 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 28, 2011 10:41 |  #7

Yeah, that VC shaking is normal. I had it on my brand new 17-50. I was annoyed by it the first time I got it. But I had gotten used to it after awhile.

5DII Gripped / 6D / Σ 15 ƒ2.8 FishEye / EF 24-70 ƒ2.8 II L / EF 24-105 ƒ4 L IS / EF 70-200 ƒ2.8 II L IS / eternalclicksphotograp​hy.com (external link)

Alarm
THREAD ­ STARTER
232 posts
Joined May 2010

May 28, 2011 10:42 |  #8

TTuna Eye wrote in post #12493712 (external link)
I have had great luck with that lens. The VC is a bit noisy but I have not noticed the image shake. I shhot it hand held a lot and really like the images I am getting.

No you got me wrong. I did not say that the images are produced shaken. I haven't tested yet this part. I am talking about how it looks when you look through the view finder.

While you look inside and half press the shutter button , you notice a small shake that happens. This according to the manual is normal, but how normal is it this to occur every time i focus ?

Sdiver2489
Goldmember
2,845 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2009

May 28, 2011 10:52 |  #9

Alarm wrote in post #12494220 (external link)
No you got me wrong. I did not say that the images are produced shaken. I haven't tested yet this part. I am talking about how it looks when you look through the view finder.

While you look inside and half press the shutter button , you notice a small shake that happens. This according to the manual is normal, but how normal is it this to occur every time i focus ?

Perfectly normal

Please visit my Flickr (external link) and leave a comment!

Gear:
Canon 5D III, Canon 24-70L F4 IS, Canon 70-300L F4-F5.6 IS, Canon 100mm F2.8L IS Macro, Canon 35mm F2.0 IS, Canon 430EX II-RT, Canon 600EX II-RT

Alarm
THREAD ­ STARTER
232 posts
Joined May 2010

May 28, 2011 14:00 |  #10

Ok, i feel more relaxed now :) Thank you !

TTuna ­ Eye
202 posts
Joined May 2011

May 28, 2011 22:36 |  #11

I think the shake is due to the gyros spinning up. I looked for it today but didn't notice it. Got some cool shots though!

6D, 60D, 100L, 24-105L, Sig 150-500, nifty 50, EF-S 60mm, Tam SP70-200 f/2.8 Di VC, Underwater gear T2i in a Watershot housing with Inon S2000 strobes.

GaryS1964
457 posts
Joined Oct 2010

May 28, 2011 22:51 |  #12

TTuna Eye wrote in post #12493712 (external link)

I agree. I've shot soccer games in AI Servo mode. It tracks well and keeps the subject in focus until you take the shot.

Canon 5D Mk iii, Canon 7D, Tamron 70-300 Di VC, Tamron 150-600, Canon Nifty Fifty, Canon 100mm f/2.8 L Macro IS, Canon 24-105 F/4 L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L IS ii, Canon 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS ii, Canon 430EX ii, YONGNUO RF-602 Wireless Remote Control

Alarm
THREAD ­ STARTER
232 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 07, 2011 14:53 |  #13

TTuna Eye wrote in post #12497023 (external link)
I think the shake is due to the gyros spinning up. I looked for it today but didn't notice it. Got some cool shots though!

Sorry for asking again. Didn't notice it you mean that it does not exist or you haven't noticed it in the past and it is there ?

I am not concerned about the IQ here, but if the motors are running well. I did some tests again this weekend and find it sometimes annoying to see that shake in the viewfinder every time i was releasing the shutter button for 2-3 seconds and seeing it again once i was pressing it again.

This phenomenon disappears when VC is off and also if i keep on focusing continuesly without any pause on different objects. :rolleyes:

led ­ hed
Goldmember
1,929 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 07, 2011 15:06 |  #14

i had a 17-55 canon f2.8 that would make the view 'jump', when i pressed for focus, quite considerably i thought, so i returned it for another and my new one doesn't do that.
i know mine isn't a tamron, but my IS was no good.

Rob - "a photographer is a painter, in a hurry!"
Canon 7D ~ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS MKII ~ Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS ~ Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II ~ Canon 430EX ~ Canon EF 2.0X III Telephoto Extender ~ Canon SX230 HS

sponsored links

3,658 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tamron's VC . Is that shake normal ?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.