Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 24 May 2011 (Tuesday) 07:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A photographers gear

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 28, 2011 23:38 |  #61

In fact I would also go as far as saying (slightly off topic mind). That I would find a similar reason for not hiring a photographer if they had no backup procedures for files.

Equipment fails all the time and if you are offering professional services as we do it is only reasonable to be expected to take reasonable precautions for when these circumstances arise. There is no excuse for not doing so and in my book those who don't are being negligent.

Peter

sponsored links
HyperYagami
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 29, 2011 02:25 |  #62

canoned wrote in post #12497121 (external link)
in the old days?

i think client's expectation changed from the old days too.

curious: how many pics per wedding typically do you give to your clients back in the days?

5D3 and a few lens
es.

Southswede
950 posts
Joined Nov 2004

May 29, 2011 06:51 |  #63

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #12497039 (external link)
Southswede you miss the point entirely... "photographer first and the equipment a distant second" can only apply if the photographer actually has a working camera/lens. Otherwise he/she is just a person standing there doing diddly squat.

Oh OK thank you for pointing this out! I am very sorry for my complete lack of understanding of the topic being posted by the OP. Please forgive my ignorance and lack of being able to understand this complex, difficult issue.

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 29, 2011 06:56 |  #64

Southswede wrote in post #12498081 (external link)
Oh OK thank you for pointing this out! I am very sorry for my complete lack of understanding of the topic being posted by the OP. Please forgive my ignorance and lack of being able to understand this complex, difficult issue.

You are forgiven... :rolleyes:

Peter

Southswede
950 posts
Joined Nov 2004

May 29, 2011 07:00 |  #65

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #12498095 (external link)
You are forgiven... :rolleyes:

Oh thank you!!!!

canoned
44 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 29, 2011 09:31 |  #66

HyperYagami wrote in post #12497715 (external link)
i think client's expectation changed from the old days too.

curious: how many pics per wedding typically do you give to your clients back in the days?

Back in the good old days I typically gave my clients around 300 photos, all well thought out keepers they could cherish. Now I give them 1500, 300 they can cherish and 1200 throw aways that are probably duplicates of the 6 bridesmaids shots that are taken over my shoulder with their Nikon 5100's and Canon T3i's.
The value of photography has diminished a great deal because everybody and their brother now have DSLR's that are very capable and these folks take photos like they are going out of style. That is what todays client sees on a daily basis it seems. They have come to except these photos and they enjoy them.
I had a client actually ask me to take some photos using a cell phone because she liked the grunge look!?? I guess I just don't get it. All I know is there is a dozen new photographers hanging their shingle every year in this area, going out and taking 2000 shots at a wedding, and charging $500. I guess they figure, if you throw enough sh#t on the wall some of it will stick. Just glad I'm at the end of my career. I don't even have to mention the state of stock photography because of the advent of digital. Off my soapbox now. Sorry to hi-jack the thread, just trying to illustrate a point.

The point being that most people these days are so inundated with digital images that they don't know the difference between a good photo and a bad photo. Especially the people looking for photographers in the $1000 range. Technology in cameras these days have convinced people that photography is no longer rocket science and can be done by any schmoe. They are looking for a warm body with a camera and trying to not brake the bank.(lousy economy?) People don't seem to care about quality much anymore, just quantity. It's a said state of affairs. They probably figure they won't even bother looking at their wedding pics after a year because their ADD will have them elsewhere. Or in the case of 50% of my clients they will be divorced. It's a changing world.

http://www.photocelebr​ation.com (external link)

Southswede
950 posts
Joined Nov 2004

May 29, 2011 13:10 |  #67

canoned wrote in post #12496798 (external link)
But if he is a full-time, legit, talented wedding photographer?!! really... are you serious? Ziser has been around for a long time, has had several photography books published, been published in just about every photo magazine known to man and has done seminars for the business of photography since the Lord was an altar boy. Yeah, I respect the mans opinion. The average wedding client couldn't tell the difference between pics taken with an 18-200 or a 24-105. Only pixel peepers can. Wedding couples don't care about all this technical stuff. They just want to look good in the pictures.
My wife's favorite picture of herself is a still capture from a Canon XL-1 video cam. Because she likes the way she looks not because it is tack sharp.

And David produces great work with just the 7D and 18-200 IS. He has top of the line gear too but still likes, uses and produces great images with the lowly 18-200...............

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 30, 2011 00:46 |  #68

canoned wrote in post #12498552 (external link)
The point being that most people these days are so inundated with digital images that they don't know the difference between a good photo and a bad photo.

Bullsh!t. The exact opposite is true. People are so inundated with crap, the excellent stuff stands out even more. Average has been lowered so far that above average isn't that difficult to attain.

It's my opinion that the photographers complaining the loudest just aren't as good as they think they are.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 30, 2011 01:41 |  #69

Somebody had to say it.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Massimoda
THREAD ­ STARTER
54 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 30, 2011 05:06 |  #70

Listen guys!! The reason as to why i asked is because i wanted to see what people these days were using. My brother got married last year October, the guy used the top of the nikon and it is now the 05/30/2011 and he is still waiting for his photos.

I'm sorry but to all you guys think i'm gonna be the most difficult person to work with then you should reconsider what you do. After all if every client was the same then there only needs to be one photographer for the entire world to do wedding's, and if some one cant take positive feedback and some thought about what a client says then PLEASE LEARN SOME PEOPLE'S SKILLS AND BRING YOU HEAD BACK OUT OF THE CLOUDS. iv started my own company if i had to give the "finger" to everyone who told me i was doing something wrong or i should do this instead of that, i would not have my own business and be a marketing manager for another company.

The guy simply had nothing to show for himself. A canvas showing a picture which any person aged 1-100 could take and a coffee book the size of an A5. ??

I KNOW that gear is not everything. I enter lots of competitions were people use 1dmk3's with 600 prime and the winner is a guy with a 1000d and a sigma 150-500.

This wedding photographer that i spoke to was a bit taken back when i asked him about his photos. Does he take in RAW, what does he use to process his images (TO WHICH HE TOLD ME HE DOES NOT DO IT SO HE DOES NOT KNOW, HE GETS A FREELANCE TO DO IT) that to me means he is not passionate about what he does. If i do a project i know what needs to be done and look after the project myself.

For those of you who think that my emails are unprofessional then i take it you don''t like the true facts in life and you all love to think that everything is 100%. If i have done something or doing something that you don't like tell me! I can either use it or discard it.

@ bnlearle will send you an email to your private email address.

Body at Work, Mind running through Kruger National Park :lol:

canoned
44 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 30, 2011 11:10 |  #71

cdifoto wrote in post #12501999 (external link)
Bullsh!t. The exact opposite is true. People are so inundated with crap, the excellent stuff stands out even more. Average has been lowered so far that above average isn't that difficult to attain.

It's my opinion that the photographers complaining the loudest just aren't as good as they think they are.

Yeah.. sure. Then you are asked why you took photos where the subject is off center when in fact you used the rule of thirds. The average person knows less about composition and lighting than you know about brain surgery. The ONLY thing people care about is how they look in the photo. The don't give a crap if you used true artistic form or multiple lighting. It's only a matter of time before you find it more and more difficult to convince people that it's worth spending a lot of money on a pro. In my area the high end guys are becoming the middle range only to try to keep their business. What does that tell you. You can call it bull****. A lot of other people are calling it reality. If excellent photography was that important to people we all would be making six figure incomes instead of less than 37 grand. (according to bureau of labor statistics) I know you are going to say it's because of all the part-timers. If photography was that viable than we all would be full-timers wouldn't we? I've had an excellent time as a part-timer for 35 years. But I realized early on how difficult it would be to match a career with benefits. The photographers I know in town (and I know them all), that are full-time, work their asses off to barely make a living and these people are excellent photographers. Such is the life of a professional photographer.

http://www.photocelebr​ation.com (external link)

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

May 30, 2011 11:15 |  #72

Your Story Photoart wrote in post #12492878 (external link)
bnlearle, IMO you're pretty brave for wanting to take this guy as a client. Maybe I'm being too harsh but he just seems like a handful. Don't get me wrong, his concerns for the quality of equipment aren't without merit but if I had a potential client emailing like this, just seems like one of those clients that will be a PITA. IMO of course.

EXACTLY what I was thinking... Run fast !!!

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

Your ­ Story ­ Photoart
461 posts
Joined Oct 2010

May 30, 2011 21:38 |  #73

Massimoda wrote in post #12502658 (external link)
Listen guys!! The reason as to why i asked is because i wanted to see what people these days were using. My brother got married last year October, the guy used the top of the nikon and it is now the 05/30/2011 and he is still waiting for his photos.

I'm sorry but to all you guys think i'm gonna be the most difficult person to work with then you should reconsider what you do. After all if every client was the same then there only needs to be one photographer for the entire world to do wedding's, and if some one cant take positive feedback and some thought about what a client says then PLEASE LEARN SOME PEOPLE'S SKILLS AND BRING YOU HEAD BACK OUT OF THE CLOUDS. iv started my own company if i had to give the "finger" to everyone who told me i was doing something wrong or i should do this instead of that, i would not have my own business and be a marketing manager for another company.

The guy simply had nothing to show for himself. A canvas showing a picture which any person aged 1-100 could take and a coffee book the size of an A5. ??

I KNOW that gear is not everything. I enter lots of competitions were people use 1dmk3's with 600 prime and the winner is a guy with a 1000d and a sigma 150-500.

This wedding photographer that i spoke to was a bit taken back when i asked him about his photos. Does he take in RAW, what does he use to process his images (TO WHICH HE TOLD ME HE DOES NOT DO IT SO HE DOES NOT KNOW, HE GETS A FREELANCE TO DO IT) that to me means he is not passionate about what he does. If i do a project i know what needs to be done and look after the project myself.

For those of you who think that my emails are unprofessional then i take it you don''t like the true facts in life and you all love to think that everything is 100%. If i have done something or doing something that you don't like tell me! I can either use it or discard it.

@ bnlearle will send you an email to your private email address.

if you were questioning me on my equipment, there wouldn't have been an issue anyway but I've done this long enough to know that you're the type of client I would run from. Sorry. You're right, different photogs for different folks. There is someone out there to do your wedding, I'm just saying it wouldn't be me (even though equipment wouldn;t have been an issue). :D

iPhone gripped

sponsored links

6,654 views & 0 likes for this thread
A photographers gear
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.