Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 30 May 2011 (Monday) 19:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

HDR in Aperture.

jongrill
117 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 30, 2011 19:50 |  #1

So I'm sure this has been covered before but....

I downloaded Aperture from the Mac App Store a few months ago but never really got into it. I am slowly getting into HDR Photography and would like to use Aperture to merge the photos I take.

Is there a built in tool or a plug in I need to download/purchase to make this happen?

Thanks!

Canon 60D Tamron 18-270 3.5-6.3 Di II ~ 50mm f/1.8 Mk1 ~ 28mm f/2.8
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jongrill (external link)

sponsored links
Tony_Stark
Shellhead
4,287 posts
Joined May 2010

May 30, 2011 19:59 |  #2

One of the reasons why I love Lightroom so much is that it is so well integrated with Photoshop. Basically you can select 3 (or how many pictures you use) photos and can directly export them to Photoshop HDR Pro. I know this is useless to you, but just wanted to point out that there is another option out there.

Now on topic, what I would do is export the files from Aperture to your desktop, then open up Photoshop and use that to make your image.

Nikon D810 | 24-70/2.8G | 58/1.4G
EOS M | 22 f/2 STM

Website (external link) | flickr (external link)

jongrill
THREAD ­ STARTER
117 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 30, 2011 20:02 |  #3

Tony_Stark wrote in post #12506140 (external link)
One of the reasons why I love Lightroom so much is that it is so well integrated with Photoshop. Basically you can select 3 (or how many pictures you use) photos and can directly export them to Photoshop HDR Pro. I know this is useless to you, but just wanted to point out that there is another option out there.

Now on topic, what I would do is export the files from Aperture to your desktop, then open up Photoshop and use that to make your image.

Nothing to do with my question. Thanks....I think.

Anyone else want to give this a go?

judyg
170 posts
Joined May 2005

May 30, 2011 20:41 |  #4

Hi,
For Aperture, you need a plug-in to do HDR. The 2 most popular ones are HDR Efex Pro from Nik Software, or Photomatix from HDRsoft. You can download free trial versions for both and try them out. Once you have downloaded the plug-in, you simply select the photos you want to merge, go to "Photos" on the top menu, then go to "Edit with Plug-In" and whatever plug-in you have downloaded will show up in that menu. That will open the HDR software, you make your adjustments, then click "save" and it will save the HDR photo as a version in Aperture.

You can download Photomatix here:
http://www.hdrsoft.com​/ (external link)

You can download HDR Efex Pro here:
http://www.niksoftware​.com …a/entry.php?vie​w=software (external link)

I have both and I prefer HDR Efex but both are good. I find HDR Efex to be more user-friendly, plus they have free Webinars that you can join in and ask questions.

judyg
170 posts
Joined May 2005

May 30, 2011 20:42 as a reply to  @ jongrill's post |  #5

The Nik Software is easier to install and goes directly into Aperture without any fiddling. I seem to recall that the Photomatic install was a little funky for some reason. If you have Aperture open when you download the plug-ins, you have to close it and re-open it in order for the plug-ins to show in the menu.

Tony_Stark
Shellhead
4,287 posts
Joined May 2010

May 30, 2011 20:52 |  #6

jongrill wrote in post #12506154 (external link)
Nothing to do with my question. Thanks....I think.

Anyone else want to give this a go?

Ya my apologies. Kind of went on a Lightroom rant :o

Nikon D810 | 24-70/2.8G | 58/1.4G
EOS M | 22 f/2 STM

Website (external link) | flickr (external link)

jongrill
THREAD ­ STARTER
117 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 31, 2011 05:09 |  #7

judyg wrote in post #12506337 (external link)
The Nik Software is easier to install and goes directly into Aperture without any fiddling. I seem to recall that the Photomatic install was a little funky for some reason. If you have Aperture open when you download the plug-ins, you have to close it and re-open it in order for the plug-ins to show in the menu.

judyg wrote in post #12506328 (external link)
Hi,
For Aperture, you need a plug-in to do HDR. The 2 most popular ones are HDR Efex Pro from Nik Software, or Photomatix from HDRsoft. You can download free trial versions for both and try them out. Once you have downloaded the plug-in, you simply select the photos you want to merge, go to "Photos" on the top menu, then go to "Edit with Plug-In" and whatever plug-in you have downloaded will show up in that menu. That will open the HDR software, you make your adjustments, then click "save" and it will save the HDR photo as a version in Aperture.

You can download Photomatix here:
http://www.hdrsoft.com​/ (external link)

You can download HDR Efex Pro here:
http://www.niksoftware​.com …a/entry.php?vie​w=software (external link)

I have both and I prefer HDR Efex but both are good. I find HDR Efex to be more user-friendly, plus they have free Webinars that you can join in and ask questions.

Thanks! This will help. I'm excited to try this out.

Mark-B
Goldmember
2,248 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 31, 2011 11:11 |  #8

You can also try the stand alone version of Photomatix to merge your RAW files to HDR. If you didn't like Aperture or find it useful to begin with, there's no need to start using it just to use an HDR plugin. Nik HDR does not have a stand alone version, but Photomatix is better anyway. All of these were done with the Photomatix plugin for Aperture, then additional processing with Aperture and/or Photoshop as needed.

Mark-B
msbphoto.comexternal link

judyg
170 posts
Joined May 2005

May 31, 2011 16:30 |  #9

Mark-B wrote in post #12509443 (external link)
You can also try the stand alone version of Photomatix to merge your RAW files to HDR. If you didn't like Aperture or find it useful to begin with, there's no need to start using it just to use an HDR plugin. Nik HDR does not have a stand alone version, but Photomatix is better anyway. All of these were done with the Photomatix plugin for Aperture, then additional processing with Aperture and/or Photoshop as needed.

Nice images, Mark. I love that they are not over-processed. That's HDR as it's meant to be (IMHO). I agree that Photomatix is more powerful software, but Nik is so much simpler and I'm lazy, lol.

sbattey
Goldmember
1,250 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 31, 2011 17:11 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

Photomatix has a plugin for aperture.

Canon 7D | Canon 50mm f/1.4 | 430EX II
Blog (external link)

jongrill
THREAD ­ STARTER
117 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 01, 2011 05:05 as a reply to  @ sbattey's post |  #11

Mark-B wrote in post #12509443 (external link)

Great photos. I have had Aperture for a while and have been using it. I just am now getting into HDR.

sponsored links

4,875 views & 0 likes for this thread
HDR in Aperture.
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.