Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 24 May 2011 (Tuesday) 01:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What's THE New Budget Editing Monitor to Get?

TomBrooklyn
204 posts
Joined Jun 2006

May 24, 2011 01:28 |  #1

What's THE budget photo editing monitor to get now since the wildly popular Dell 2209wa has been discontinued ?

Or is there no clear standout in the budget category like the 2209 was for the last couple of years ?

Reference: the 2209wa thread in this forum which garnered over 1400 replies:
https://photography-on-the.net …t=634520&highli​ght=2209wa

sponsored links
ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"
5,566 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 24, 2011 12:00 |  #2

TomBrooklyn wrote in post #12467906 (external link)
What's THE budget photo editing monitor to get now since the wildly popular Dell 2209wa has been discontinued ?

Depends on what you mean by budget. The very cheapest monitor you can get away with for reasonably accurate color? There is a slew of cheap LG paneled 22-23" IPS monitors available now for under $250 USD. I'd stay clear of the LED backlit models in this range.

The Dell U2311h seems to still be the major player.

Chas P
"It doesn't matter how you get there if you don't know where you're going!"https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=10864029#po​st10864029

pcunite
Goldmember
1,478 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 30, 2011 19:02 as a reply to  @ ChasP505's post |  #3

The NEC 2490WUXi2 is about the cheapest pro monitor out there now.

WesternGuy
774 posts
Joined Jul 2006

May 30, 2011 20:16 |  #4

Depending on your budget, you might want to look at the new ASUS PA246Q monitor. It is a P-IPS monitor with a decent price attached to it. Might even be cheaper than the NEC 2490WUXi2, depending on where you get it.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

dalto
758 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 30, 2011 23:20 |  #5

WesternGuy wrote in post #12506230 (external link)
Depending on your budget, you might want to look at the new ASUS PA246Q monitor. It is a P-IPS monitor with a decent price attached to it. Might even be cheaper than the NEC 2490WUXi2, depending on where you get it.

I have one of these and I love it.

One of the challenges in saying you are looking for a budget monitor is not everyone defines "budget" the same way.

The ASUS PA246Q is going to be in the $400-500 range and competitive with the Dell U2410. They are both decent quality wide gamut monitors. The NEC 2490WUXi2 will be a bit more expensive than these two.

As for the super budget monitors in the $200 price range you can still get the dell 2209wa through third parties if you like that unit. The problem with most of the new super budget panels is that they are led backlit.

The HP ZR24w sometimes goes on sale for a good price. The Dell U2311 is not that much more than the 2209wa.

It all depends on what your priorities on cost vs accuracy are.

ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"
5,566 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 31, 2011 09:46 |  #6

dalto wrote in post #12507143 (external link)
...One of the challenges in saying you are looking for a budget monitor is not everyone defines "budget" the same way....

This is why I prefer to use the term "entry level" rather than "budget". I see an entry level monitor as having the absolute minimum specifications that a serious hobbyist or pro photographer would require.

I also define a high-end LCD monitor as one having an addressable high bit internal LUT, which can be hardware calibrated.

Chas P
"It doesn't matter how you get there if you don't know where you're going!"https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=10864029#po​st10864029

Dexinthecity
294 posts
Joined May 2011

May 31, 2011 17:49 |  #7

yup I'm going to need to get a new screen soon...my eyes hurt and I'm not satisfied with this viewsonic

Flickr (external link)

WesternGuy
774 posts
Joined Jul 2006

May 31, 2011 20:08 |  #8

dalto, glad to hear from someone who has a PA246Q and loves it. I had to special order mine as they are note readily available in Canada yet. Should come in a few days - looking forward to it. What graphics board are you using to drive it and how do they work together? Thanks.

TomBrooklyn, please let us all know what you decide and why - documenting these decisions help all of us who find ourselves in the same situation and wish to learn from the decisions of others.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

dalto
758 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 31, 2011 21:12 |  #9

WesternGuy wrote:
=WesternGuy;12512325Wh​at graphics board are you using to drive it and how do they work together?

My machine is older so I am still using 2x nVidia GTX 260's. As for working together, they work great.

However, like any wide gamut monitor you are going to want to either calibrate it or run it in sRGB mode.

WesternGuy
774 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 01, 2011 03:30 |  #10

dalto wrote in post #12512700 (external link)
My machine is older so I am still using 2x nVidia GTX 260's. As for working together, they work great.

However, like any wide gamut monitor you are going to want to either calibrate it or run it in sRGB mode.

Thanks for the reply, the information and the advice - I guess I will see what happens when it gets here - I will be running it with an NVIDIA GeForce GT220 card. Thought about upgrading the card, but the small power supply (300W) on my Dell won't handle anyhting more - next time!

Regards,

WesternGuy

jasonlitka
900 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 01, 2011 09:43 |  #11

WesternGuy wrote in post #12514379 (external link)
Thanks for the reply, the information and the advice - I guess I will see what happens when it gets here - I will be running it with an NVIDIA GeForce GT220 card. Thought about upgrading the card, but the small power supply (300W) on my Dell won't handle anyhting more - next time!

Regards,

WesternGuy

I would be real shocked if you couldn't get away with a GT 440. Those don't require an extra 6/8-pin power cable, all the power comes from the PCI-e slot, and it shouldn't draw much more, if any, than your GT 220. If you upgrade, try and get the GDDR5 version, not one of the DDR3 cards. The latter is available with more memory but the memory bandwidth is about half.

Jason Litka | Utter Ramblings (external link)
7D, Rebel T2i, 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, 70-300mm f/4-5.6L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM, 24mm f/1.4L II USM, 10-22mm USM, 17-85mm IS USM, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Speedlite 270EX, Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5, Fuji X100s on order.

TomBrooklyn
THREAD ­ STARTER
204 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jun 01, 2011 18:51 |  #12

ChasP505 wrote in post #12470106 (external link)
Depends on what you mean by budget. The very cheapest monitor you can get away with for reasonably accurate color

That's a fairly good, workable definition. Bear in mind, I referenced the possible successor to the Dell 2009wa. So that should give a pretty good idea of what I'm asking about here. i.e. Low end of the price scale. Good bang for the buck. Reputable manufacturer. Good quality. Acceptable performance.

TomBrooklyn
THREAD ­ STARTER
204 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jun 01, 2011 18:53 |  #13

pcunite wrote in post #12505853 (external link)
The NEC 2490WUXi2 is about the cheapest pro monitor out there now.

Perhaps it is, whatever "Pro" means; but it has nothing to do with what I asked about. As it's currently selling for $700. (at B&H), it's not going to become the "new" 2009wa budget monitor.

TomBrooklyn
THREAD ­ STARTER
204 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jun 01, 2011 18:59 |  #14

WesternGuy wrote in post #12512325 (external link)
TomBrooklyn, please let us all know what you decide and why

I'm probably going to go with the Dell 2311. With a little haggling, It can be gotten $300 taxed and shipped from Dell. I suppose there are a few IPS panels maybe $25 cheaper after tax and shipping; but I think the Dell name, reputation, and warantee are worth at least that much.

TomBrooklyn
THREAD ­ STARTER
204 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jun 01, 2011 19:16 |  #15

One of the challenges in saying you are looking for a budget monitor is not everyone defines "budget" the same way. It all depends on what your priorities on cost vs accuracy are.

I think if you read what I asked about again, you'll get a pretty good idea of what I am asking about.

Everybody, and by everybody, I mean a lot of people, went bonkers over the 2009wa because it was acceptable for photo editing, and it was apparently by far the best deal to come along in a long time, if not ever, for an IPS panel monitor.

The 2009wa is not made anymore. My question, paraphrased, was simply "What is THE new 2009wa?" You might also notice this thread title is a play on words -- intentionally copying the title what might be the most popular thread to ever grace this forum...the 1500 reply thread on the 2009wa.

Maybe there is simply nothing like the 2009wa available now with such a favorable bang for the buck. I don't know. But that's what I was asking.

As for the super budget monitors in the $200 price range you can still get the dell 2209wa through third parties if you like that unit. The problem with most of the new super budget panels is that they are led backlit.

- I haven't seen any 2009wa's on sale for $200. And is that with tax and shipping? And how much would that add?

- What's wrong with LED backlit panels?

sponsored links

6,892 views & 0 likes for this thread
What's THE New Budget Editing Monitor to Get?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.