Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 31 May 2011 (Tuesday) 15:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Aperture or Lightroom 3

Rookies1241
64 posts
Joined May 2011

May 31, 2011 15:29 |  #1

Guys

For the Mac users which do you use Aperture or Lightroom 3 and why?

I am currently a Aperture User and have been for a while... I decide to try out Lightroom 3 the other day and I have found some of the processing and images editing in lightroom great to use the noise reduction for once WORKS in aperture it poor and few other things in Lightroom is great

Just wonder what you guys thinks

sponsored links
nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

May 31, 2011 15:39 |  #2

I use LR3, one of its big selling points was improved noise reduction. I shoot a lot of high-ISO, low-light stuff.

I'm about halfway through the Lynda.com training on LR3, and it amazes me how seamlessly it integrates with Photoshop. So, that's another big bonus.

I never used Aperture so I don't have much to compare against.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

Mark-B
Goldmember
2,248 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 31, 2011 15:44 |  #3

Noise control is better in Lightroom for most images. If that is your main concern and would cause you to turn to plugins or third party programs for every image, then you may be better off with Lightroom. I think that modern camera sensors are so good that you don't really need to obsess about noise. I rarely use it for anything below ISO 800, and maybe not even for 1600 if the shot was during daylight hours.

Lightroom also has the awesome targeted adjustment tool and the ability to rotate an image instead of just straighten it. Even so, I still prefer Aperture because of these things:

- Clone brush & Heal tool
- RGB levels & curves
- Highlights & Shadows
- Add multiple instances of levels, curves, colors, etc (similar to layers)
- Brush effects in or out (similar to masking)
- CMD+Click to view multiple projects/folders/album​s in same window
- Option+Click to open multiple projects/folders/album​s in tabs
- Able to switch between metadata & adjustment panels while keeping same view of current image or thumbnails.

I used Lightroom on Windows and when I first switched to Mac. I'd have no problem going back to it if needed. Both are excellent programs.

Mark-B
msbphoto.comexternal link

Rookies1241
THREAD ­ STARTER
64 posts
Joined May 2011

May 31, 2011 15:50 |  #4

What you say regarding aperture is right..

I also like clarity in lightroom too I find it good but don't know if it worth getting as can be got cheap at the moment 60% off.

What other option I have that won't break the bank? Aperture I love it just need some better processing tools like noise and clarity

Mark-B wrote in post #12510951 (external link)
Noise control is better in Lightroom for most images. If that is your main concern and would cause you to turn to plugins or third party programs for every image, then you may be better off with Lightroom. I think that modern camera sensors are so good that you don't really need to obsess about noise. I rarely use it for anything below ISO 800, and maybe not even for 1600 if the shot was during daylight hours.

Lightroom also has the awesome targeted adjustment tool and the ability to rotate an image instead of just straighten it. Even so, I still prefer Aperture because of these things:

- Clone brush & Heal tool
- RGB levels & curves
- Highlights & Shadows
- Add multiple instances of levels, curves, colors, etc (similar to layers)
- Brush effects in or out (similar to masking)
- CMD+Click to view multiple projects/folders/album​s in same window
- Option+Click to open multiple projects/folders/album​s in tabs
- Able to switch between metadata & adjustment panels while keeping same view of current image or thumbnails.

I used Lightroom on Windows and when I first switched to Mac. I'd have no problem going back to it if needed. Both are excellent programs.

Mark-B
Goldmember
2,248 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 31, 2011 16:19 |  #5

Rookies1241 wrote in post #12510985 (external link)
I also like clarity in lightroom too I find it good but don't know if it worth getting as can be got cheap at the moment 60% off.

What other option I have that won't break the bank? Aperture I love it just need some better processing tools like noise and clarity

Aperture has Clarity, but it is called Definition. It is in the Enhance brick between the Contrast and Saturation sliders.

Mark-B

judyg
170 posts
Joined May 2005

May 31, 2011 16:22 |  #6

I use Aperture and really prefer it to LR. For noise reduction, I use the Nik DFine plug-in when needed.

Rookies1241
THREAD ­ STARTER
64 posts
Joined May 2011

May 31, 2011 16:27 |  #7

Mark-B wrote in post #12511120 (external link)
Aperture has Clarity, but it is called Definition. It is in the Enhance brick between the Contrast and Saturation sliders.

True not not negative it all positive.... In LR you can go negative and be creative :D

sbattey
Goldmember
1,250 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 31, 2011 17:09 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

I used Aperture exclusively until I found out about lightroom 3s graduated filter....

It allows you do adjust the exposure of a portion of the image, aperture has nothing like this. Saved me the trouble of buying and carrying around a Graduated ND filter.

Also, LR3 performs better in fullscreen than aperture did...aperture was a little buggy going from fullscreen to regular sometimes.

Canon 7D | Canon 50mm f/1.4 | 430EX II
Blog (external link)

Damian75
Goldmember
1,623 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 31, 2011 19:56 |  #9

I tried lightroom for awhile but returned to Aperture for the same reason I started using it Asset Management. While LR may have a slight edge in the editing department Aperture kills it in the asset management department and seeing as how I do most of my editing in PS, image management is what I really need so Aperture fits the bill also with the lowered price you really can't go wrong. sbattey you can do selective exposure adjustments in Aperture both the levels and curves adjustments can be brushed in on whatever area you want.

Canon EOS 40D,30D, Canon 70-200 2.8L, 24-70 2.8L, 85 1.8, Canon extension tube, Elinchrom Lighting gear, 
Website (external link)

sbattey
Goldmember
1,250 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 31, 2011 20:20 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

Damian75 wrote in post #12512248 (external link)
I tried lightroom for awhile but returned to Aperture for the same reason I started using it Asset Management. While LR may have a slight edge in the editing department Aperture kills it in the asset management department and seeing as how I do most of my editing in PS, image management is what I really need so Aperture fits the bill also with the lowered price you really can't go wrong. sbattey you can do selective exposure adjustments in Aperture both the levels and curves adjustments can be brushed in on whatever area you want.

Way too difficult, and not as good as graduated filter implementation

Also, if you do most of your editing in PS why didn't you go with iPhoto?

Blog (external link)

Mark-B
Goldmember
2,248 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 31, 2011 20:44 |  #11

sbattey wrote in post #12511415 (external link)
I used Aperture exclusively until I found out about lightroom 3s graduated filter....

It allows you do adjust the exposure of a portion of the image, aperture has nothing like this. Saved me the trouble of buying and carrying around a Graduated ND filter.

The graduated filter in Lightroom is nice, but it's nothing you can't do in Aperture. It takes more effort to get it done in Aperture, but you also aren't limited to straight lines. Neither program is a substitute for a real Grad ND filter.

Mark-B

Lancef
76 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jun 01, 2011 12:42 |  #12

Lightroom all the way

Canon 5D Mark iii 24-105 F/4 iS, 55 F/1.2,Sigma 70-200 2.8
Flickr (external link)

ckramos
179 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 01, 2011 12:57 |  #13

bought Aperture only because it was $79 on the AppStore.

5d2 | 580ex ii | 35-70mm f3.5-4.5 | 50mm f1.4 | 17-40mm f4

Damian75
Goldmember
1,623 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 01, 2011 18:43 |  #14

sbattey wrote in post #12512388 (external link)
Way too difficult, and not as good as graduated filter implementation

Also, if you do most of your editing in PS why didn't you go with iPhoto?

I haven't tried the graduated filter in LR it was simply the point that similar things can be done in both programs. The asset management tools in aperture far surpass iPhoto in regards to meta data editing, multiple libraries, exporting, syncing and merging libraries, more ingesting options like realtime backup, custom file name on import and custom meta data, use of referenced files and my personal favorite tethered shooting. I am very much a proponent of using what works best for you, Aperture fits my needs better than Lightroom but thats just me. As both pieces of software have free trials I always suggest people try both and see what suites them best.

Canon EOS 40D,30D, Canon 70-200 2.8L, 24-70 2.8L, 85 1.8, Canon extension tube, Elinchrom Lighting gear, 
Website (external link)

sbattey
Goldmember
1,250 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 01, 2011 19:03 |  #15
bannedPermanent ban

ckramos wrote in post #12516593 (external link)
bought Aperture only because it was $79 on the AppStore.

Can't beat $79...

I paid 200 for it from a real store :(

Blog (external link)

sponsored links

3,303 views & 0 likes for this thread
Aperture or Lightroom 3
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.