Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 30 May 2011 (Monday) 09:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Neck Strap help

Exposure101
555 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2008

May 30, 2011 09:27 |  #1

I'm looking to buy a new neck strap (something more comfortable and helps lighten the load a bit). I'm trying to decide between the Op-tech POTN and the Crumple Industry Disgrace. The latter is a bit more expensive as well as more bulky from what I've heard. So which one should I go with? Please advise.

Thank you!

sponsored links
luciddreamer
861 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 30, 2011 09:31 |  #2

The Op-techs are great and low cost. No idea on the Crumpler but I'm sure some will be along soon to say they're the best thing since sliced bread. I'm sure they are very nice. Anyhow, you won't go wrong with the Op-tech and you can help support the forum by doing so. It makes my ten pound lens/body combo feel more like two pounds. I'm very happy with it.

materialism ~
preoccupation with or emphasis on material objects, comforts, and considerations, with a disinterest in or rejection of spiritual, intellectual, or cultural values.

advaitin
Goldmember
4,624 posts
Gallery: 434 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2003

May 30, 2011 09:35 |  #3

This ranks high for photojournalists who have to carry multiple cameras and heavy lenses. They will not slip on the shoulder, they spread the weight as well as any with more plushy pads:

http://www.upstrap-pro.com/ (external link)

With a kevlar strap and quick release clips, it is the most durable and convenient strap I have ever used. I own four now and rotate them between cameras and big lenses.

Canons to the left, Canons to the right,
We hold our L glass toward the light,
Digitizing in a snap reflective glory
That will forever tell our imaged story.

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 30, 2011 13:19 as a reply to  @ advaitin's post |  #4

Op/Tech is the way to go.

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

May 30, 2011 16:20 |  #5

Upstrap is a fantastic strap. Especially if you are doing shoulder carry. For neck carry, hands down favorite is the Wapiti strap. Like this:

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/johnj80/image/127658247.jpg

That utilizes some hooks I bought and the Optech Adapt-its for the lowest profile QR strap I know of.

J.

Obsessive Gear List
"It isn't what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that isn't so." - Mark Twain

samefly
246 posts
Joined May 2011

May 30, 2011 19:15 |  #6

I also like the price point of the op/tech. which model op/tech strap do you all own?

daru photography (external link)
facebook (external link) | flickr (external link)

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

May 30, 2011 19:20 |  #7

The POTN one . . . 6 or 7 of them (binoculars, and a new one for each DSLR). I've got a variety of attachments on 'em - mostly I use the 3/8" webbing ones in regular or extra-long on the cameras rather than the Pro Loop they ship with.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

equach206
307 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 30, 2011 19:50 |  #8

I had a Crumpler Industry Disgrace before I upgraded to my Blackrapid RS-7 and it was great! If you're looking for a good neckstrap, the Crumpler is highly recommended. A friend of mine had both the Op-Tech Pro strap and the Crumpler and he said the Crumpler was much more comfortable although a bit bulky.

5D | 50D | 60 f/2.8 Macro | 85 f/1.8 | 17-40 f/4L | 70-200 f/2.8L | 430EX
Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

Exposure101
THREAD ­ STARTER
555 posts
Joined Sep 2008

May 31, 2011 00:51 |  #9

I'm still going back and forth between the Crumpler vs the POTN OP-Tech one. Do they both 'lighten the load" or is the Crumpler just feel more cushioned?

darrenleow
31 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 31, 2011 01:05 as a reply to  @ Exposure101's post |  #10

The Op-tech Pro Loop strap is made from a stretchy neoprene material which will help with cushioning the weight of the camera and lens. The Crumpler Industry Disgrace is very well-padded but does not stretch at all. I think both are equally good if you wear your camera around your neck, and you should consider if you like your camera strap to be stretchy or not. Some people feel that the bouncing camera adds to the perceived weight, rather than reducing it.

The Op-tech Pro Loop has a grid of sticky dots on the underside to help it stay on your shoulder, but the Crumpler Industry Disgrace only has a "Crumpler" wording on the underside which isn't sticky at all, so the strap is definitely not recommended for shoulder carry. But if you like to wear your strap across your body, the Crumpler's length is very adjustable and the material makes it easy to slide along as you bring the camera up.

For shoulder carry, I really prefer the Op-tech Super Classic strap since its underside is a strip of sticky textured rubber. Others prefer Domke and Think Tank straps, which are lower profile and less bulky. I use the Op-tech Pro Loop attachment system so I use a Pro Loop and a Super Classic together. The Pro Loop goes around the more frequently accessed camera while the Super Classic goes on the other one that I want to stay on my shoulder till I need it.

E ­ James ­ P
Goldmember
1,144 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 31, 2011 01:05 |  #11

I've have both ,and the POTN one is nice and does what strap should do and can be removed from the camera .But the Crumple Industry Disgrace is by far a more comfortable strap and does a better job of the handling of the weight of a camera with lens ,but it is not design to come off the camera. So that led to a merging of both straps and I can honestly say that I still use both on my camera.:D
In other words both are very good and you have to decide what is more important to you.

Gearflickr (external link)
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955) . "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

Exposure101
THREAD ­ STARTER
555 posts
Joined Sep 2008

May 31, 2011 01:45 |  #12

Is this the same as the POTN one? Perhaps with just different prints?

http://www.amazon.com …pment-Black/dp/B00007E816 (external link)

E ­ James ­ P
Goldmember
1,144 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 31, 2011 03:21 |  #13

That is pretty much the same.
http://www.procamerage​ar.com …_info.php/produ​cts_id/141 (external link)

Gearflickr (external link)
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955) . "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

schmidtc
56 posts
Joined May 2011

May 31, 2011 11:24 |  #14

I just recently got the OpTech Utility strap and the XL pro loop connectors for it. Just like the Canon CPS setup except without the logo. Very comfortable and less than half the price people are selling them for.

http://www.procamerage​ar.com …_info.php/produ​cts_id/966 (external link)
http://www.procamerage​ar.com …_info.php/produ​cts_id/520 (external link)

Exposure101
THREAD ­ STARTER
555 posts
Joined Sep 2008

May 31, 2011 19:50 |  #15

Quick question: what is webbing width?

The optech has 2 pro straps, one with 3/8 width and one with 3/4 width. I dont know what that means thus i'm not sure which one to go with.

Ps- sorry potn, was gonna buy the potn one but it costs almost 2x as much.

sponsored links

3,995 views & 0 likes for this thread
Neck Strap help
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.