Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 01 Jun 2011 (Wednesday) 06:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

85L - Buying From USA

pridash
Goldmember
3,584 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Location: London, UK - Where 30 degrees celcius is considered a heatwave and liable to result in death.

Jun 01, 2011 06:18 |  #1

I've been eyeing up the 85L for some time now and as a friend of mine is visiting San Fransisco in August, I was thinking of whether to get her to buy it from a Calumet store there. It would save me around £400 in comparison to UK prices - calumet sells to $2099 (c. £1280), UK prices are around (£1699).

Since I can't test the lens before purchase, are there any draw backs with doing this? I did read somewhere about US sales taxes - does this get added to the price quoted? Is there anyway of reclaiming this tax like in EU countries for foreign visitors?

If I find the lens soft wide open can I still calibrate it in the uk - I'm not sure if the warranty would apply in the UK? would that be free or chargeable with Canon?

Pradeep (but most people call me PJ)

Flickr (external link) | Website (external link)
Stop obsessing about gear and focus on your own art and creativity. Nurture and love the artist inside yourself.

sponsored links
m.shalaby
Goldmember
3,443 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 01, 2011 08:37 |  #2

pridash wrote in post #12514673 (external link)
I've been eyeing up the 85L for some time now and as a friend of mine is visiting San Fransisco in August, I was thinking of whether to get her to buy it from a Calumet store there. It would save me around £400 in comparison to UK prices - calumet sells to $2099 (c. £1280), UK prices are around (£1699).

Since I can't test the lens before purchase, are there any draw backs with doing this? I did read somewhere about US sales taxes - does this get added to the price quoted? Is there anyway of reclaiming this tax like in EU countries for foreign visitors?

If I find the lens soft wide open can I still calibrate it in the uk - I'm not sure if the warranty would apply in the UK? would that be free or chargeable with Canon?

I'm not sure on a lot of your questions as I don't know duty's/taxes/out of US warranty/ect...

But I can tell you this - I have yet to hear of an out of the box, "bad copy" of the 85L. You can pretty much rest assured you'll get a great copy.

TaDa
...as cool as Perry
6,742 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 01, 2011 08:44 |  #3

At least here in the US, Canon just cares about the date of purchase on the receipt. So if you're within a year of purchase, then they'll service it. I would assume most service centers around the world would be accommodating as well, as photographers do tend to travel.

Name is Peter and here is my gear:
Canon 5D II, Canon 7D, Canon 40D
Glass - Zeiss 21 f/2.8 ZE, Canon 35 f/1.4L, Canon 40 f/2.8 STM, Canon 24-70 f/2.8
L, Canon 85 f/1.2L II, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon 500 f/4L IS
Speedlite 580ex II, 430ex - Gitzo GT-3541XLS w/ Arca B1

pridash
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,584 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Location: London, UK - Where 30 degrees celcius is considered a heatwave and liable to result in death.

Jun 01, 2011 08:51 |  #4

m.shalaby wrote in post #12515097 (external link)
I'm not sure on a lot of your questions as I don't know duty's/taxes/out of US warranty/ect...

But I can tell you this - I have yet to hear of an out of the box, "bad copy" of the 85L. You can pretty much rest assured you'll get a great copy.

TaDa wrote in post #12515133 (external link)
At least here in the US, Canon just cares about the date of purchase on the receipt. So if you're within a year of purchase, then they'll service it. I would assume most service centers around the world would be accommodating as well, as photographers do tend to travel.

Thanks for info guys...and it's reassuring hearing about the reliabilty of the 85L's out of the box! :)

Anyone comment on US sales taxes? Here in the UK, you're generally quoted with VAT included, unless otherwise specified...is that the same in the US? And any idea of claiming it back?

Stop obsessing about gear and focus on your own art and creativity. Nurture and love the artist inside yourself.

m.shalaby
Goldmember
3,443 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 01, 2011 08:55 |  #5

pridash wrote in post #12515173 (external link)
Thanks for info guys...and it's reassuring hearing about the reliabilty of the 85L's out of the box! :)

Anyone comment on US sales taxes? Here in the UK, you're generally quoted with VAT included, unless otherwise specified...is that the same in the US? And any idea of claiming it back?

It varies from state to state. If you buy in NY, its about 8% more then the lens, so say its $2,000 - add $160 for taxes.

Can your friend order it from a company like B&H Photo and have it shipped to him in San Fran? If so, you can avoid state sales tax all together.

TaDa
...as cool as Perry
6,742 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 01, 2011 08:57 |  #6

In the states, we pay sales tax based on city and/or state. San Fran is 9.5% I believe, so you will pay that on top of the list price. If the item is purchased from another state, most stores will not charge sales tax unless it's a state in which they have a business. So as an example, if you live in San Fran, and order it from B&H, it will be just the price of the lens plus shipping.

Glass - Zeiss 21 f/2.8 ZE, Canon 35 f/1.4L, Canon 40 f/2.8 STM, Canon 24-70 f/2.8

pridash
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,584 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 01, 2011 09:09 |  #7

m.shalaby wrote in post #12515196 (external link)
It varies from state to state. If you buy in NY, its about 8% more then the lens, so say its $2,000 - add $160 for taxes.

Can your friend order it from a company like B&H Photo and have it shipped to him in San Fran? If so, you can avoid state sales tax all together.

TaDa wrote in post #12515209 (external link)
In the states, we pay sales tax based on city and/or state. San Fran is 9.5% I believe, so you will pay that on top of the list price. If the item is purchased from another state, most stores will not charge sales tax unless it's a state in which they have a business. So as an example, if you live in San Fran, and order it from B&H, it will be just the price of the lens plus shipping.

Jheeze - tax in the uk is 20%!! :D Anyway, that's good info.

As regards shipping to SF from NY - would B&H do that to a hotel address? In my mind I would have thought that sounded dodgy, but again I did read somewhere that it was possible!

m.shalaby
Goldmember
3,443 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 01, 2011 09:11 |  #8

pridash wrote in post #12515266 (external link)
Jheeze - tax in the uk is 20%!! :D Anyway, that's good info.

As regards shipping to SF from NY - would B&H do that to a hotel address? In my mind I would have thought that sounded dodgy, but again I did read somewhere that it was possible!

Maybe.... not sure... maybe. You would probably have to have that called in over the phone is my guess.

TaDa
...as cool as Perry
6,742 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 01, 2011 09:14 |  #9

I've had gear delivered to a hotel before. Give them a call and ask.

Also, have your friend call the hotel and tell them that he will be having something shipped. I've had packages waiting for me upon check-in before as well. No problems.

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 01, 2011 09:34 as a reply to  @ TaDa's post |  #10

Have your friend drive to Oregon and buy the lens there, they have no sales tax.

lilkngster
725 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Jun 01, 2011 09:35 |  #11

I do not know myself, but I would make sure you know about the customs declarations your friend may have to deal with when coming back to UK. Might look a little funny, if your (non camera) friend, has to explain what a box with a new $2000 lens is doing in the suitcase.

6dII/1dIII|Bronica Sq-Ai/EOS 3/A1

pridash
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,584 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 01, 2011 09:54 |  #12

m.shalaby wrote in post #12515277 (external link)
Maybe.... not sure... maybe. You would probably have to have that called in over the phone is my guess.

TaDa wrote in post #12515299 (external link)
I've had gear delivered to a hotel before. Give them a call and ask.

Also, have your friend call the hotel and tell them that he will be having something shipped. I've had packages waiting for me upon check-in before as well. No problems.

Ok, will email B&H with an enquiry then...I'm still wary of where I would stand if the package doesn't turn up at the hotel though! :confused: Kinda worries me given the money involved!

rick_reno wrote in post #12515400 (external link)
Have your friend drive to Oregon and buy the lens there, they have no sales tax.

Not possible...she's on her own and only in SF for a week (and it's a busy one). I'm trying to make this as easy as possible for her! :)

lilkngster wrote in post #12515408 (external link)
I do not know myself, but I would make sure you know about the customs declarations your friend may have to deal with when coming back to UK. Might look a little funny, if your (non camera) friend, has to explain what a box with a new $2000 lens is doing in the suitcase.

Do US customs routinely check that? Of all the times I've travelled abroad, I've never been checked...especially when arriving back home! :D Anyway, I could always give her my old 30D body which I don't use (due to be sold) to explain the reason why though! :D

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 01, 2011 11:08 |  #13

pridash wrote in post #12515528 (external link)
Ok, will email B&H with an enquiry then...I'm still wary of where I would stand if the package doesn't turn up at the hotel though! :confused: Kinda worries me given the money involved!

Not possible...she's on her own and only in SF for a week (and it's a busy one). I'm trying to make this as easy as possible for her! :)

Do US customs routinely check that? Of all the times I've travelled abroad, I've never been checked...especially when arriving back home! :D Anyway, I could always give her my old 30D body which I don't use (due to be sold) to explain the reason why though! :D

US customs won't check anything.

The only issues i've had with customs was entering France, they'd spend a lot of time with my laptop. I was working on crypto systems at the time, and bringing cypto into France wasn't kosher. I had a clean laptop for travel, I was having to go there often.
Your friend shouldn't have any problems with the lens.

B&H will get the package there, they're excellent to do business with.

Dustman
847 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 01, 2011 11:52 |  #14

Yup, order it from B&H online, ship it to the hotel, you should get it from New York to San Franscico in about 4 days with the slowest shipping, quicker if you want to pay more............and you will completely avoid the sales tax, just the $2,099 plus a little shippping of $18.80. I buy all my gear from B&H, wonderful customer service, plus you can't beat tax free!

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …AA_EF_85mm_f_1_​2L_II.html (external link)

www.DustinLevine.com (external link)

Mark2Mark
136 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 01, 2011 13:39 |  #15

Have you tried "kerso" on eBay or talkphotography? He was doing them for £1349 at the end of last year, I don't have an up-to-date price list though.

Gear

sponsored links

2,306 views & 0 likes for this thread
85L - Buying From USA
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.