Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 01 Jun 2011 (Wednesday) 09:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Backpack that can also store a camera

aphexii
76 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 01, 2011 09:03 |  #1

While I like the Vivitar bag i recently picked up (its a Tamrac Revolution 8 clone), I almost think I would prefer something that allows more storage space (like a normal backpack), that happens to have a small space to stow a camera and maybe 1 additional lens.

I think my problem is that most of the bags i've seen are either 100% camera storage, or 70% camera storage / 30% open space

Is there something thats more like 70% open space with 30% camera storage?

Feedback/References:
eBay (369+, 100%) (external link)Heatware (150+, 100%) (external link)

sponsored links
Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 01, 2011 09:11 |  #2

I'm also looking for something like this, will be watching thread :)

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

bdp23
471 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jun 01, 2011 09:14 |  #3

Look for inserts from crumpler or on ebay and put it in any backpack. There are a lot of options from soft felt covered panels stitched together all the way to canvass and polyester wrapped hard plastic that keeps its shape a bit better but isn't as configurable or padded.

Alternately, a lensbag and a neoprene 'sock' for the lens+body if you're throwing the gear into a bag full of other soft stuff.

search CAMERA BAG INSERT (external link)

I like making photos and sometimes I think I'm getting better... then I realise it doesn't matter. I like making photos!

Blurr ­ Cube
...a lucky id-iot that didn't get electrocuted...
15,147 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 01, 2011 11:32 as a reply to  @ bdp23's post |  #4

Have a look at these:

Kata DR-465(i), 466(i), 467(i) series has camera gear at the bottome and other stuff at the top.

http://www.kata-bags.com …sp?Version=Phot​o&p_Id=400 (external link)
http://www.kata-bags.com …sp?Version=Phot​o&p_Id=438 (external link)
http://www.kata-bags.com …sp?Version=Phot​o&p_Id=401 (external link)

or

Kata Bumblebee-210 DL

http://www.kata-bags.com …?Version=Photo&​p_Id=19777 (external link)

| Canon EOS Systems |

Blurr ­ Cube
...a lucky id-iot that didn't get electrocuted...
15,147 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 01, 2011 11:34 as a reply to  @ Blurr Cube's post |  #5

Another option to inserts which are rectangular and more of a "fit" for messenger type bags, take a look at F-Stop ICU's. A bit more designed for backpacks:

http://fstopgear.com/e​n/icu (external link)

| Canon EOS Systems |

da_nige
640 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 01, 2011 14:37 |  #6

Lowepro Compudaypack may suit. It has a space at the bottom for camera plus maybe 1 extra lens then the top half is great for waterproos/lunch etc. Then there is a laptop pocket too

Neil

1DIV -- 40D -- 12-24mm f4.5-5.6 EX -- 17-40mm f4 L -- 24-70mm f2.8 L -- 70-200mm f2.8 L II -- 100mm f2.8 Macro -- 300mm f4 L IS -- 500mm f4 [COLOR=red]L IS -- 1.4 II -- 580EXII x2 -- 430EXII

Gitzo 3530LSV tripod and Manfrotto monopod, various pieces of camo gear, various filters and cables. Lowepro (x3) Dakine and Crumpler bags.

rouxeny
250 posts
Joined May 2008

Jun 01, 2011 16:49 |  #7

F-stop Guru with small ICU.

Should be enough for a camera and one to two lenses, and a good amount of space for other stuff also.

Andrew Tan
10D/5D/15/17-40/24/50/70-200
http://andrew-tan-photography.smugmug.co​m (external link)
"I am so envious of guys like you. You get to shoot beautful models, all I can find to shoot are bugs and snakes." - JS

leadthrower21
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 01, 2011 20:47 as a reply to  @ post 12518291 |  #8

The best solution I've found for motorcycle/snowboardin​g has been Kriega R20 (motorcycle pack) and a Think Tank digital holster 20. This allows me to remove the DH20 and use it separately if I wish. The DH20 is a bit small for 2 lenses, as it fits a 50D and 24-70 snugly in the padded area. If you open up the extension portion, you could fit something like a 50mm underneath that combo.

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2799/5788169767_702eedfe68_z.jpg

Maybe something like a DH30 and a normal backpack you have laying around would be sufficient? I also own a TT UD60, but find myself using the backpack combination more.

Creevesphotography
224 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 01, 2011 22:32 |  #9

Crumpler sinking barge. Bottom front pocket is for cameras. Main compartment is for whatever you want. And it looks like a regular backpack.

Carol Reeves Photography (external link)
No fate but what we make for ourselves

aphexii
THREAD ­ STARTER
76 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 01, 2011 22:59 |  #10

Im actually contemplating getting a TT Retrospective 5 and just using a standard backpack, throwing the Retro 5 in the backpack when on the train/plane. That way I'll have all my stuff with me for the travel itself (ipad/headphones/junk)​, but when I head out around the city, i'll just bring the TT Retro 5.

Feedback/References:
eBay (369+, 100%) (external link)Heatware (150+, 100%) (external link)

LeeRatters
Cream of the Crop
5,238 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 03, 2011 15:02 |  #11

i bought a lowepro flipside 300. opening is on the back so it can't be 'pick-pocketed' & all the sections are removeable so you can divide it up as you wish depending on what you are carrying. i unstitched all the badges/logos from it so it's just plain black but i guess it still only has the one opening rather than being completely split.

>> Flickr << (external link)

>> Instagram<< (external link)

jchurch303
48 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jun 08, 2011 09:15 |  #12

I have the Lowepro Compudaypack. Held my non-gripped 50d with the 24-70 mounted, and the 10-22 off the camera. also inside the upper part it has enough space for the 120-400 with ring and a few drinks (not that I put the drinks in with the lens but I could have lol) and while carring that it also carries my netbook and ipad (because I don't want my back hurting at the end of the day).

Gear List

xghostx
329 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 08, 2011 09:22 |  #13

Have you looked at the dakine mission?

Site (external link)
Gear List

Ponder ­ This
21 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 10, 2011 23:18 as a reply to  @ xghostx's post |  #14

I was looking for the exact same thing: room for a body, 1-2 lenses, and a few accessories with space for other stuff that was more like a conventional backpack. I just purchased the Lowepro Orion Daypak 200 from Adorama and I'm waiting for it to arrive:

http://products.lowepr​o.com …n-DayPack-200,2261,14.htm (external link)

It hasn't been out that long, but the few reviews that are out there seem good. Looks promising.

obie131
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jun 17, 2011 16:17 |  #15

Did you look at F-Stop bags? I am eyeing up their Loka with small ICU for myself..

sponsored links

5,454 views & 0 likes for this thread
Backpack that can also store a camera
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.