Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
Thread started 01 Jun 2011 (Wednesday) 03:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My very first HDR attempt. Comments awaited =D

pemmaraju5
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 01, 2011 03:31 |  #1

Hey guys!! I'm a member of this forum from just a couple of weeks. I took my time in reading articles written by users in this community and also spent some quality time viewing pictures posted here. And now, I come with my work. I am new to photography and I'm attracted to HDR very quickly. I'm posting my work here. Please reply with your comments on my work.

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3117/5785738762_49f4bcdd45_b.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5304/5785181611_e2678a35a2_b.jpg

Thanks in advance.
-Pemma

Gear:
Canon T1i with kit lens (18-55), Canon 50mm f/1.8 (Sold), Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM and Canon 24-105 L f/4
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
CalebG
298 posts
Joined May 2009

Jun 01, 2011 12:27 |  #2

The first doesnt do much for me, but I think that is mostly the lack of foreground interest. the second turned out very nicely, nice details and you still have local contrast, it may be my eye but it looks slightly tipped to the left. keep practicing and playing with the software : )

Caleb Garvin of Natural Images Photography
On Flickr  (external link)

pemmaraju5
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 01, 2011 12:42 as a reply to  @ CalebG's post |  #3

Thanks for your suggestion Caleb :)
2nd shot was a hand held shot!! :)

Gear:
Canon T1i with kit lens (18-55), Canon 50mm f/1.8 (Sold), Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM and Canon 24-105 L f/4
Flickr (external link)

Ekir
279 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 01, 2011 15:22 |  #4

Both are lovely!
I like the rays breaking through on the first one, did you have a lighter exp which brought out the trees in the foreground more?

The second one is picturebook perfect IMO, I love those reflections! I havn't done any HDR, but your results are more realistic and photographic, which make me want to give it a go. I'm not into the whole HDR unrealistic tonally perfect, everything showing pictures, they look more like paintings to me, but thats just me!

Nice work!

Lou.

RegBruce
56 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jun 01, 2011 16:14 |  #5

pemmaraju5 wrote in post #12516513 (external link)
2nd shot was a hand held shot!! :)

How did you get your multiple exposures without using a tripod?? Or, did you simply use one shot and modify tones? If so, it's not HDR.

ythe1300
178 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 01, 2011 17:25 as a reply to  @ RegBruce's post |  #6

I feel that the first one is flat, an HDR is supposed to really increase the pop and color range ( I.E. darker blacks and whiter whites. ) I'm just not seeing much of that here otherwise unlike some of the others I do like the composition.

10D and a sheet of cardboard with a pen hole in it.

pemmaraju5
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 01, 2011 17:43 |  #7

@Lou: Thank you so much!!

@RegBruce: No. I took multiple exposures by hand held. I tried to be as stable as possible when shooting images and luckily I got good shots. Thanks to "Align Source Images" option in Photomatix Pro which took care to align those images correctly.

@ythe 1300: I will try to improve my work in next posts. Thanks for the review :)

Gear:
Flickr (external link)

Monito
460 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jun 01, 2011 17:50 |  #8

ythe1300 wrote in post #12518061 (external link)
I feel that the first one is flat, an HDR is supposed to really increase the pop and color range ( I.E. darker blacks and whiter whites. ) I'm just not seeing much of that here otherwise unlike some of the others I do like the composition.

Nope. HDR puts detail into sunk shadows and blown out highlights. So with multi-exposure HDR you will end up with less white and less black. HDR compresses the range of tones to make them fit into a printable print or viewable image.

The High Dynamic Range of the HDR term refers to the scene (input), not the output.

Of course, all photos should have black blacks and white whites unless there is a compelling artistic reason not to (there rarely is).

Canon System: fullframe DSLRs, lenses. Tripods, Alien Bees.
Always learning and striving to make better photographs.

Monito
460 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jun 01, 2011 17:52 |  #9

To the OP pemmaraju5: excellent first effort. The clouds & sun in particular are a good topic for HDR due to the great range there.

Canon System: fullframe DSLRs, lenses. Tripods, Alien Bees.
Always learning and striving to make better photographs.

pemmaraju5
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 02, 2011 14:26 |  #10

Monito wrote in post #12518208 (external link)
To the OP pemmaraju5: excellent first effort. The clouds & sun in particular are a good topic for HDR due to the great range there.

Thank you buddy!! :) That encourages me to work more on it :)

Gear:
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

1,514 views & 0 likes for this thread
My very first HDR attempt. Comments awaited =D
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.