Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 01 Jun 2009 (Monday) 06:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Windows 7 and RAW plus 64bit info

mouettus
576 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 11, 2010 19:45 |  #16

par7133 wrote in post #8936705 (external link)
FastPictureViewer RAW Codec Pack did the job for me www.fastpictureviewer.​com/codecs/ (external link)

bringing back this thread from the dead... but still having the same issue. I'm using fastpictureviewer 1.1 (since 2.0 is not freeware anymore) and I have a couple of questions:

1. Thumbnails view is slow but succeeds. But let's say I have a folder on my desktop with cr2 files in it, it won't show the thumbnails in the folder icon.

2. I went into the options and it seems that the codec is creating a jpeg thumbnail from the file. Where are those jpeg stocked? And damn it can take a long time to wait for those thumbnails to appear!!

I was quite happy (other than the loading time) with Canon's codec in x86... why don't they realease one after years of users using 64bit OSes?! Especially power users who have powerful computers with lotsa ram.

7D + XS | 70-200mm f4L IS USM | 18-55mm IS | 55-250mm IS | 50mm f/1.8 II | Speedlite 430 EX II

sponsored links
Menelaus
Goldmember
1,276 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 12, 2010 09:23 |  #17

$5.99 is still a great deal, and supporting people that make my life easier was an easy choice. Go for 2.0.

mouettus
576 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 13, 2010 10:26 |  #18

Menelaus wrote in post #9979380 (external link)
$5.99 is still a great deal, and supporting people that make my life easier was an easy choice. Go for 2.0.

not that it's a big amount but yeah... I'd be more willing to pay if it gave me the ability to do something I could NOT do before!

by the way... what's new between 1.1 and 2.0?

7D + XS | 70-200mm f4L IS USM | 18-55mm IS | 55-250mm IS | 50mm f/1.8 II | Speedlite 430 EX II

overclock
Goldmember
1,191 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Apr 13, 2010 11:50 |  #19

mouettus wrote in post #9986248 (external link)
by the way... what's new between 1.1 and 2.0?

New for v2.1: fast thumbnail extraction for most CR2, CRW files.

The other updates are listed on that page usually in red.

fotocrack
194 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 04, 2011 17:04 |  #20

Menelaus wrote in post #9979380 (external link)

Wow this codec when from $5.99 to $19.99 in 2 years!! Man I wish they offered us a group buy.

5DM3 lover :cool: //My custom build computer //My Feedback
PLEASE DONATE TO YOUR LOCAL FOOD BANKS AND LOCAL CHARITIES

ecub
Goldmember
1,487 posts
Joined May 2010

Mar 05, 2011 02:13 |  #21

par7133 wrote in post #8936705 (external link)
FastPictureViewer RAW Codec Pack did the job for me www.fastpictureviewer.​com/codecs/ (external link)

Works perfect on my Windows 7 x64 as well.

- Ed
Official Gear List
5D II | 7D | 16-35mm f/2.8L II | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L | 50mm f/1.2L USM | 85mm f/1.2L II | 100mm f/2.8L IS macro

evgens
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 07, 2011 14:55 as a reply to  @ ecub's post |  #22

I found dpMagic (www.dpMagic.com (external link)) quite handy. Shows thumbnails also in Windows x64.
Especially good is their viewer. Works extremely fast, even with 37 Mpx images

anamorph
253 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 02, 2011 02:49 as a reply to  @ evgens's post |  #23

Well, very very odd.

The vast majority of my RAWs are from the 350D (now 450D)

I recently got a laptop running Win7 x64. I was aware of the thumbs issue.

Installed the latest (1.9) RAW Codec.

I use Irfanview thumbnails for browsing.

All my RAWS will NOT display in explorer as thumbnails - EXCEPT, for some reason one particular folder. (450D shots) - so given that the shots are all manual, are these RAWs corrupt, or is explorer just being picky? (all shots in the folder are visible as thumbs)....4

BUT - get this.... if I COPY the folder from its parent, (say to desktop) the thumbs then become unviewable in explorer, although the original is still viewable.

So without doubt 7x64 CAN display the RAW files. Something is working against the flow here - anyone care to guess what?? :)

EOS 450D
EFS 18-55IS EFS 55-250IS EF 35 f/2 EF 50 f/1.8 EFS 60 f/2.8 Macro

David ­ Ransley
THREAD ­ STARTER
673 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 02, 2011 18:40 |  #24

@anamorph: If I remember correctly you may have some success when an application that supports CR2 RAW files read the folder as long as it integrates with explorer. I also had partial success, but cannot remember which app did that for me. Problem is that there was no auto for all the folders.

Problem solved by Fast Picture Viewer Codec Pack - works great and shows additional information in Explorer.

DRH

anamorph
253 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 03, 2011 09:22 as a reply to  @ David Ransley's post |  #25

Dave: Thanks.

Irfanview thumbnails does not like x64 (although it works) and I can also use xnview. No amount (as you say) of fiddling and looking points to why one folder displays in explorer, so I will look at the codec pack you mention. Thanks :cool:

EOS 450D

anamorph
253 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 05, 2011 04:06 as a reply to  @ anamorph's post |  #26

Hey Guys: I've discovered a way to do this:

Basic overview: my 'scanning and viewing' (not editing) is done with Irfanview and explorer as it's fastest.

Here is how to get thumbs to show under x64.

Download the CANON codec (crc 1_8_0_68) is what I have from the Canon europe site.)

Open any folder with RAW files (after codec installed and machine restarted)

open any RAW with WINDOWS LIVE PHOTO GALLERY

When the pic is displayed - click 'Edit, organise or share' and another window will open (and display anything within the folder).

Once those image thumbs render, shut down live gallery - and refresh the explorer view of the host RAW folder - you will have thumbs viewable in explorer!!!!

Thanks to David Ransley for the kick up the backside that got me thinking (integration) - once live gallery renders the thumbs then explorer sees them!

The drawback is that if like me you use individual folder and have a lot of them, then it's a long job to go through all the folders - but if you fire the lot into a single folder, then just open the first pic in gallery, hit the mentioned button, go for a coffee and you'll have explorer thumbs when you come back :)

EOS 450D

David ­ Ransley
THREAD ­ STARTER
673 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 05, 2011 07:58 |  #27

anamorph wrote in post #12538727 (external link)
Hey Guys: I've discovered a way to do this:

open any RAW with WINDOWS LIVE PHOTO GALLERY

When the pic is displayed - click 'Edit, organise or share' and another window will open (and display anything within the folder).

Once those image thumbs render, shut down live gallery - and refresh the explorer view of the host RAW folder - you will have thumbs viewable in explorer!!!!

That is the app I used as well :-) I moved away from this teqhnique for the more automated way of doing things.

DRH

dalto
758 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 05, 2011 09:00 |  #28

anamorph wrote in post #12538727 (external link)
The drawback is that if like me you use individual folder and have a lot of them, then it's a long job to go through all the folders - but if you fire the lot into a single folder, then just open the first pic in gallery, hit the mentioned button, go for a coffee and you'll have explorer thumbs when you come back :)

Seems like an immense amount of work to save 14.95. I guess if you don't shoot that often it wouldn't be a huge deal but...

anamorph
253 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 05, 2011 12:39 as a reply to  @ dalto's post |  #29

Yeah, I agree it's drawn out (say 30 seconds to do one folder with 60 shots) - although in this case the shots are backed up to the laptop, so I can quite easilt do each folder as and when I open them and it's not an issue. I wouldn't fancy going through the lot in a oner on the editing machine mind you, hence that is still 32 bit :cool:

EOS 450D

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 06, 2011 07:56 |  #30

dalto wrote in post #12539334 (external link)
Seems like an immense amount of work to save 14.95.

Yup. Even though I'm retired I still value my time. When I worked, $15 was around 20 minutes pay - so paying $15 to save 20 minutes was, IMHO, a good deal. So this would be a no-brainer.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

sponsored links

78,012 views & 0 likes for this thread
Windows 7 and RAW plus 64bit info
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.