Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 24 May 2011 (Tuesday) 00:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do not make the same mistake as me (24mm Odyssey)

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 02, 2011 21:43 |  #46

Sdiver2489 wrote in post #12523900 (external link)
Just an update for those still interested. Canon has my lens and body since May 27th(Last Friday) when it was officially "accepted" into their system. No other details to provide. Danny assured me that he'd handle it from the point of acceptance.

Canon better do a bang up job on this lens finally because I've been experimenting with the dark side of the force...

"This is not the L you are looking for".

I hope it comes back correct. It is a really nice lens.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

sponsored links
Sdiver2489
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,845 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 02, 2011 21:48 |  #47

S.Horton wrote in post #12526084 (external link)
"This is not the L you are looking for".

I hope it comes back correct. It is a really nice lens.

Please visit my Flickr (external link) and leave a comment!

Gear:
Canon 5D III, Canon 24-70L F4 IS, Canon 70-300L F4-F5.6 IS, Canon 100mm F2.8L IS Macro, Canon 35mm F2.0 IS, Canon 430EX II-RT, Canon 600EX II-RT

JonK
Goldmember
2,161 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Jun 02, 2011 22:00 |  #48

Sdiver where are you located? I have this lens, a 5DII, and a 7D. No issues. If you're near I'd be willing to try the lens or you try my body(s)

7NE | 7D | 5DII | 16-35/2.8L II | 24/1.4L II | TS-E 24/3.5L II | 50/1.4 | 85/1.2L II | 100/2.8L IS | 70-200/2.8L IS II | 400/5.6L | PIXMA Pro 9500 Mark II
check my blog:
www.jonkensy.com (external link)

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 02, 2011 22:05 |  #49

5th time was the charm for me. Sent both my cameras + the 24LMKII. Each time they had a different explanation. The first 3 times there was no change. The 4th time was a little better but was missing on distance subjects. Came back bang on the 5th time although I'll be honest and say that I only really use this lens close to the subject. But from what I recall from a few random distance shots I have done, it performed well.

It's certainly not the sharpest lens out there wide open, but it's a great lens once you get it right.

David ­ S
559 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 02, 2011 22:15 |  #50

nicksan - Did they explain what they fixed the fifth time? Also, did they adjust/fix the lens only or did they also do something to both your bodies?

Leica M | Sony a7R | Fujfilm X-Pro 1
flickrexternal link

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 02, 2011 22:28 |  #51

David S wrote in post #12526224 (external link)
nicksan - Did they explain what they fixed the fifth time? Also, did they adjust/fix the lens only or did they also do something to both your bodies?

It was random things they fixed across the last few times. I have to get the paperwork out, but nothing like a board being replaced. I think the focus assembly might have been replaced or adjusted, and perhaps some electronic adjustments were made, but these are pretty generic repair notes. FYI, I bought this lens brand new.

I am not entirely sure they did anything to the body. Perhaps they did. Canon repair is a mystery to me. I have a $79 Lens Align tool, and they have a high tech repair lab. I am able to detect any issues with a lens in under 5 minutes, so each time they sent me my lens back unfixed, it took less than 5 minutes for me to see. They had nothing to say when I asked him what the hell was going on, and I am a CPS Platinum member mind you.

They had my cameras and the 24L held hostage for over a week the 5th time I sent it in. I had a manager handling the case personally.

It just boggles the mind that it would take 5 times to get anything fixed. They had my cameras 3 out of the 5 times I sent it in.

Same thing happened with my 135L. Sent that one in 4 times. A few times it actually came back worse. 4th time was the charm on that one.

The 24-70L I sent it around the same time, they put some scratches on the body of the lens. They replaced it and it looks brand new.

The 1D3 I sent in came back with a missing eye piece and the rubber grip peeling. Strangely enough, they replaced most of the camera's covers including the LCD cover and the camera looks near new.

AbPho
Goldmember
3,165 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 02, 2011 22:34 |  #52

Sdiver2489 wrote in post #12471596 (external link)
"Your camera was inspected and found that the AF was not working correctly. AF adjustments were made, CMOS reset, Firmware updated"

Heheheh! How many times can they upgrade the firmware of a camera?

I was told that the Canon Loyalty Program was originally intended for the professional photographer. They could send all of their gear in (camera and lenses) and get everything calibrated. There are always going to be manufacturing tolerances.

OP, I hope you get your issue fixed soon. Too about Canon's comment. That is not very professional.

I'm in Canada. Isn't that weird!

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 02, 2011 23:09 |  #53

Dang! Another 24 L bites the dust huh? I've had zero problems on mine but, it did act quirky when I had the 7D. I assume it's the body and not the lens. I bet that if you give me your copy and put it on my 1Ds 3, the focus will lock at all apertures. Anyways, I hope your issue gets resolved.

Sdiver2489
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,845 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 02, 2011 23:12 |  #54

jdizzle wrote in post #12526487 (external link)
Dang! Another 24 L bites the dust huh? I've had zero problems on mine but, it did act quirky when I had the 7D. I assume it's the body and not the lens. I bet that if you give me your copy and put it on my 1Ds 3, the focus will lock at all apertures. Anyways, I hope your issue gets resolved.

I agree I put the lens on a T3i at the store and it worked much better if not perfectly...seems like the 24L has the biggest problem with the 7D.

Gear:
Canon 5D III, Canon 24-70L F4 IS, Canon 70-300L F4-F5.6 IS, Canon 100mm F2.8L IS Macro, Canon 35mm F2.0 IS, Canon 430EX II-RT, Canon 600EX II-RT

Sdiver2489
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,845 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 02, 2011 23:13 |  #55

JonK wrote in post #12526165 (external link)
Sdiver where are you located? I have this lens, a 5DII, and a 7D. No issues. If you're near I'd be willing to try the lens or you try my body(s)

Peoria, IL also known as MFN

Gear:

David ­ S
559 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 02, 2011 23:16 |  #56

nicksan wrote in post #12526287 (external link)
It was random things they fixed across the last few times. I have to get the paperwork out, but nothing like a board being replaced. I think the focus assembly might have been replaced or adjusted, and perhaps some electronic adjustments were made, but these are pretty generic repair notes. FYI, I bought this lens brand new.

I am not entirely sure they did anything to the body. Perhaps they did. Canon repair is a mystery to me. I have a $79 Lens Align tool, and they have a high tech repair lab. I am able to detect any issues with a lens in under 5 minutes, so each time they sent me my lens back unfixed, it took less than 5 minutes for me to see. They had nothing to say when I asked him what the hell was going on, and I am a CPS Platinum member mind you.

They had my cameras and the 24L held hostage for over a week the 5th time I sent it in. I had a manager handling the case personally.

It just boggles the mind that it would take 5 times to get anything fixed. They had my cameras 3 out of the 5 times I sent it in.

Same thing happened with my 135L. Sent that one in 4 times. A few times it actually came back worse. 4th time was the charm on that one.

The 24-70L I sent it around the same time, they put some scratches on the body of the lens. They replaced it and it looks brand new.

The 1D3 I sent in came back with a missing eye piece and the rubber grip peeling. Strangely enough, they replaced most of the camera's covers including the LCD cover and the camera looks near new.

Sounds all too familiar other than damaging your equipment and sending it back to you that way. That is beyond belief. I would be livid.

Much like the other 24L thread, it is surprising that a supervisor has to get involved after numerous tries to actually fix the lens. I had the same experience with my 24-70. It only got fixed after a supervisor got directly involved. Canon's process definitely needs some changes.

Leica M | Sony a7R | Fujfilm X-Pro 1
flickrexternal link

blk-dslr
629 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 02, 2011 23:58 |  #57

I just recently purchase a 24L (date code: UZ) from amazon, never had any problem with the lens, using it on 5D2.

Gear List

blk-dslr
629 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 03, 2011 00:04 |  #58

btw I also tried on my 50D, no issue at all.

Gear List

alt4852
Goldmember
3,419 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 03, 2011 07:46 |  #59

AbPho wrote in post #12526335 (external link)
I was told that the Canon Loyalty Program was originally intended for the professional photographer. They could send all of their gear in (camera and lenses) and get everything calibrated. There are always going to be manufacturing tolerances.

i think you're confusing the loyalty program with CPS. the former is a program that offers discounts on refurbished equipment if you trade in your old canon gear, whereas the latter is a resource and support system for professional photographers.

5D4 | Z21 | 35L2 | 50L | 85L2 | 135L

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 03, 2011 08:49 |  #60

blk-dslr wrote in post #12526736 (external link)
I just recently purchase a 24L (date code: UZ) from amazon, never had any problem with the lens, using it on 5D2.

Doesn't mean there aren't bad copies floating out there. It seems like there's enough folks happy with theirs to indicate that it might not be a general problem, like say the 50L. Perhaps it's just bad QC at this point. Don't really know.

All I know is that the month it took to deal with this mess was frustrating. But I think the lens is worth the trouble. It was for me. I am happy with my copy now.

sponsored links

12,731 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do not make the same mistake as me (24mm Odyssey)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.