Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 23 Aug 2010 (Monday) 19:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D err 02 with SanDisk

fall
62 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 31, 2011 10:45 as a reply to  @ post 11850344 |  #61

i have this issue with a sandisk ultra 16gb 30mb/s card. the screen would go black for a while the light on the dial would light up red and the error message would display for a few second then the camera would start cleaning the sensor automatically. this doesn't happen to often, i noticed it one or twice before but never right after each other, tonight it happened twice.

i have 3 cf cards, i have a kingston 8gb that came with the camera that never exhibits this issue, after a while i got a sandisk 8gb 30mb/s that also worked fine and never exhibit this issue, this error 02 thing started when i got my 16gb 30mb/s, that was around after i updated my firmware . i have yet to see this error on my first two card.

i tried to figure out when the problem occurs, i tried high speed shooting, i tried raw+jpeg, i tried video but i couldn't bring out the error, it seems that it occurs randomly.

could this be a firmware issue? mine is 1.2.3

sponsored links
SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,629 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 31, 2011 11:16 |  #62

I have this issue as well... Ultra 30mb card...
I can reproduce 90% of the time just by holding shutter button down for a second... and then the ensuing buffer to card will result in that error, and everything in that sequence is lost
I've tried to reproduce the error with a transcend 16gig card as well, and cannot get an error 02 on that one...

EOS R / 7D2 / 1D IV (and the wife has a T4i)
Sig35A, Sig50A, Sig85A, Sig14-24A, Sig24-105A, Sig70-200S, Sig150-600C
100-400L, 100L, 300 2.8L, 1.4x II / 2x II
600EX-II X3, 430EX-III X3

dbump
THREAD ­ STARTER
755 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 28, 2011 23:10 |  #63

The firmware Canon just released (1.2.5) may address this for many of you. The second fix:

2. Fixed a rare phenomenon in which there were cases where "Err 02" appeared when repeatedly shooting still images with specific CF cards.

Edit: Link to firmware: http://www.usa.canon.c​om …eos_7d#DriversA​ndSoftware (external link)

7D, G10, 17-55 f/2.8 IS, 70-200 f/2.8 IS, 100 Macro, 50 f/1.4, 430EX II
There are no wrong notes
--Thelonious Monk

Grahamab
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Jul 2010

May 24, 2011 06:05 |  #64

Had exactly the same problem, shooting in RAW at 8fps using SanDisk Ultra & extreme it has happened twice, one at a sports shoot, once at a wedding, I lost the burst of images I had on the disk but nothing else (thank god). Read your thread with great interest and have now downloaded the firmware 1.2.5 but not yet tried it out...

Thanks for the thread, hasa been really helpful !

Graham

badams
699 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2006

Jun 03, 2011 00:48 |  #65

After having this issue with both of the 8gb Ultra cards I got for the camera, I got a Transcend 600x 16gb card and haven't had any problems. Been heavily using the Transcend for the last 3 months.

Everyday use: 7D2, 1.4x v3 Canon TC (sometimes the 2x v2 Canon TC), Canon 500mm f4 L IS USM; 6D, 24-105L
http://www.southernokp​hotography.com (external link)

lensmen
Goldmember
1,563 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Jun 03, 2011 00:57 as a reply to  @ badams's post |  #66

Buying brand names card, doesn't necessary mean that they are trouble free.
Don't be too quick to blame it on the camera either.

Over the years, I had bad experiences with Kingston & San Disk, despite the premium prices and the "lifetime" warranty thingy. But these does not compensate for the loss of images and time for getting the replacement.

Jimmy
Just my 2 frame's worth :D:D:D
My Gear List
500px album (external link)

Yanzibar
67 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 08, 2011 14:47 as a reply to  @ lensmen's post |  #67

Hi,

Sorry, I can see this thread was started quite some time ago. I found it through a search on google and can see it's had a few recent replies. I'm interested in dbump's post about the new Firmware release.

Can anyone who was having this problem confirm that it works? I'm going to give it a go but also wondered if the OP's thoughts about cards being irreparably damaged prove true? In which case, I may need replacements :)

I started getting this error 02 a couple of days ago. The specific card worked perfectly for a few weeks up until then (both the card and the 7D are only a couple of months old) but suddenly, when I shooting a few images, I got the error screen. To be honest, at first I thought my card was full until I read the message, that's how it behaved. I lost the image but was able to continue shooting as normal afterwards (although later, I did format the card). I hoped it was a one-off but nope, it's still happening. One time it completely froze, the whole camera locked up, I couldn't even switch off as the screen showed the spinning blue disk, with a message indicating that it was still trying to write to the card...which apparently it couldn't even access (?!). The only way to get rid of the message and continue to use the camera was to open the battery door.

A bit worried about it to be honest. I'd be gutted if I missed out on "that shot" because of the error so needless to say, I'm dying to get it sorted!

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/yanneh/ (external link) :p

Skids
330 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Jun 08, 2011 14:55 as a reply to  @ Yanzibar's post |  #68

Yanzibar

I was getting the Err02 message and sent the camera off under warranty and also replaced the Sandisk cards to no avail.

I put the latest Firmware on and have not had the error since and for the amount I have used the camera since the upgrade I am 99% certain the error would have occurred by now and it hasn't

So get you camera upgraded now!!! ;-)a

Yanzibar
67 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 08, 2011 15:29 |  #69

Skids wrote in post #12558960 (external link)
So get you camera upgraded now!!! ;-)a

Delighted to read that...hope there are more similar responses. :D

You can guess what I'm about to do now!

dbump
THREAD ­ STARTER
755 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 08, 2011 17:35 as a reply to  @ Yanzibar's post |  #70

Honestly, I haven't since taken the time to test the card I know I had problems with--it's hard to find time to take pictures that may be permanently lost when I don't have enough time to take pictures in general.
I sent my camera in for physical repair before this firmware was available; I've since also applied the firmware, but that muddies the issue for your purposes, since it's not just the firmware in my case. It's good to hear from other users who've had success!

There are no wrong notes
--Thelonious Monk

drew
809 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 08, 2011 20:26 |  #71

FWIW, I still receive the Err 02 with the two 8GB SanDisk cards I previously did. It's just less frequent and I can't make it happen on demand anymore.

7D | EOS M | Sigma 30mm f/1.4 | Canon 70-200mm f/4L IS USM | Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM | Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM | flickr (external link)

dbump
THREAD ­ STARTER
755 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 08, 2011 23:27 |  #72

drew wrote in post #12560644 (external link)
FWIW, I still receive the Err 02 with the two 8GB SanDisk cards I previously did. It's just less frequent and I can't make it happen on demand anymore.

Is that with the firmware update, or after sending the body in for repair (or both)?
Knock on wood, I've had no issues since the repair.

There are no wrong notes
--Thelonious Monk

Daskid
152 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 09, 2011 00:52 |  #73

I've been getting the same error. Sucks that the new firmware is not that much of a fix.

5DII Gripped / 6D / Σ 15 ƒ2.8 FishEye / EF 24-70 ƒ2.8 II L / EF 24-105 ƒ4 L IS / EF 70-200 ƒ2.8 II L IS / eternalclicksphotograp​hy.com (external link)

Yanzibar
67 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 11, 2011 05:29 |  #74

Oh no... I take it you're still having problems?

Just thought I'd post back and say that so far I've not had the error since updating the firmware to 1.2.5. We're planning going to the wildlife park later today though so that should give it another good test. We'll see how that goes *fingers crossed* :)

Edit: 1.07.11 Just to say that the firmware update has almost definitely helped. I haven't seen this error pop up since. :)

sudipto_roy
508 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 27, 2011 19:07 |  #75

Any update on this please? I got error 2 yesterday. Switched off the camera and then switched it on again and it was okay. But after that didn't shoot for too long. Do you think the problem might recur?
Sudipto

7D with 400 F 5.6 for birds
5D Mk II with 24-70 for everything else

sponsored links

38,123 views & 0 likes for this thread
7D err 02 with SanDisk
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.