Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Performing Arts Talk 
Thread started 27 May 2011 (Friday) 01:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Shooting a dark performance show questions

Aznattic
34 posts
Joined Jan 2009

May 27, 2011 01:31 |  #1

This weekend i will be shooting a dance musical for some friends. I shot it a few weeks ago and my settings were mostly Iso 3200-4000, F2.0 @ 1/100. I have done club photography, but this was completely different considering flash obviously couldn't be used. They also had a poorly lit spot light and spot light operator (would move off the characters too fast). I wasn't too pleased with the shots after reading the FAQ tips. Did a lot of the "up the nostrils" shots.

I was wondering if anyone had any pointers and tips/settings for shooting a dance musical. The spotlight i believe is around 4300k or 5000k.I have a 7D as well as a 30D with a 85mm 1.4 Sigma (the one i used for most of the shots of the last show), 30mm Sigma 1.4, 70-200 IS 2.8. The last show i took pictures in the front row so the 85mm, while a sharp lens, just felt too close to them. Bodies i couldn't get full body shots which i felt took the feel away from the performance. 30mm wouldn't focus fast enough. I really can't move around too much either because they will run up and down the audience at times. Mostly i will be crouching or or sitting down. Is it possible to stand up and take pictures without disturbing the audience or crew? Should i sit in the middle (front row) or somewhere on the sides (front row).

Here's 2 pictures from last time.

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3167/5763732037_84f7f7aaa1.jpg
IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2479/5764280742_ceef7fe862.jpg

7D II - Canon 24-70 II F2.8 - Sigma 85 1.4 - Sigma 30mm 1.4 - Canon 18-135 STM

hania
919 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 03, 2011 02:33 |  #2

Aznattic wrote in post #12487222 (external link)
This weekend i will be shooting a dance musical for some friends. I shot it a few weeks ago and my settings were mostly Iso 3200-4000, F2.0 @ 1/100. I have done club photography, but this was completely different considering flash obviously couldn't be used. They also had a poorly lit spot light and spot light operator (would move off the characters too fast). I wasn't too pleased with the shots after reading the FAQ tips. Did a lot of the "up the nostrils" shots.

I was wondering if anyone had any pointers and tips/settings for shooting a dance musical. The spotlight i believe is around 4300k or 5000k.I have a 7D as well as a 30D with a 85mm 1.4 Sigma (the one i used for most of the shots of the last show), 30mm Sigma 1.4, 70-200 IS 2.8. The last show i took pictures in the front row so the 85mm, while a sharp lens, just felt too close to them. Bodies i couldn't get full body shots which i felt took the feel away from the performance. 30mm wouldn't focus fast enough. I really can't move around too much either because they will run up and down the audience at times. Mostly i will be crouching or or sitting down. Is it possible to stand up and take pictures without disturbing the audience or crew? Should i sit in the middle (front row) or somewhere on the sides (front row).

Here's 2 pictures from last time.
QUOTED IMAGE
QUOTED IMAGE

I took 'Oliver' with a tripod & 70-200 2.8 from the side standing up out of the way; however I would not stand up during a show - should I have been in the audience that would really annoy me - besides obscuring the view of the people behind, it would also break their concentration on the show, having you bobbing up & down. I would either get a front row seat, middle if possible and stay put - or a front balcony seat if there is one.

If you can get up from a side seat without disturbing people that should work; however, a show is so fast moving, that you getting up and setting up would maybe cause you to lose a shot as you really do need a tripod (IMHO)

Gear List

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,487 views & 0 likes for this thread
Shooting a dark performance show questions
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Performing Arts Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.