Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 24 May 2011 (Tuesday) 00:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do not make the same mistake as me (24mm Odyssey)

ChuckingFluff
Goldmember
1,391 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 03, 2011 08:56 |  #61

Maybe I missed this part but why didn't you refund it? if it's crap send it back.

sponsored links
Sdiver2489
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,845 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 03, 2011 09:37 |  #62

ChuckingFluff wrote in post #12528321 (external link)
Maybe I missed this part but why didn't you refund it? if it's crap send it back.

Because I had tried 3 or 4 copies already, I can't remember how many and each was pretty bad. The last was at least somewhat decent...it wasn't completely random focusing like the others. When it missed, it missed in general the same way everytime. Because I really wanted this lens to work I decided to send it in to Canon to have them try to fix it as opposed to having to keep paying for shipping lens copies back to retailers.

Please visit my Flickr (external link) and leave a comment!

Gear:
Canon 5D III, Canon 24-70L F4 IS, Canon 70-300L F4-F5.6 IS, Canon 100mm F2.8L IS Macro, Canon 35mm F2.0 IS, Canon 430EX II-RT, Canon 600EX II-RT

ChuckingFluff
Goldmember
1,391 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 03, 2011 09:41 |  #63

Is it still too late to refund it? best route would to go to a store that has them in stock so you can try them out first.

Sdiver2489
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,845 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 03, 2011 10:21 |  #64

ChuckingFluff wrote in post #12528576 (external link)
Is it still too late to refund it? best route would to go to a store that has them in stock so you can try them out first.

Yeah in my original post I stated that B&H photo is unwilling to take it back because:

1. It was past the return window
2. It was serviced by Canon

Please visit my Flickr (external link) and leave a comment!

Gear:
Canon 5D III, Canon 24-70L F4 IS, Canon 70-300L F4-F5.6 IS, Canon 100mm F2.8L IS Macro, Canon 35mm F2.0 IS, Canon 430EX II-RT, Canon 600EX II-RT

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 03, 2011 10:31 as a reply to  @ Sdiver2489's post |  #65

The 24L that I have is the only one I ordered. +16 MA. Inconsistent focusing. I just decided I would just deal with Canon instead of returning it. Perhaps it was a mistake in retrospect, but at least my story ended well and with all the "work" that have gone into making it right, I feel "closer" to the lens now. :lol:;)

Kinda ironic. I decided to take another leap of faith on a UY date coded 50L. I have a looooooong unpleasant history with that lens and the famed focus shift issue. I had heard that UY and later copies were much improved. I knew this was B.S. but decided to buy it...used no less. Loving the damn lens! Go figure...:lol:

alpha_1976
Goldmember
3,960 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 03, 2011 10:54 |  #66

nicksan wrote in post #12528945 (external link)
Kinda ironic. I decided to take another leap of faith on a UY date coded 50L. I have a looooooong unpleasant history with that lens and the famed focus shift issue. I had heard that UY and later copies were much improved. I knew this was B.S. but decided to buy it...used no less. Loving the damn lens! Go figure...:lol:

So is the focus shift improved on your new 50L compared to the old one (date code on that one ?)

I know more about gear than I know about photography :p
Gear List

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 03, 2011 11:05 |  #67

alpha_1976 wrote in post #12529087 (external link)
So is the focus shift improved on your new 50L compared to the old one (date code on that one ?)

I had UU, UV, and UW ones in the past. The shift is still there, but not nearly as bad as the ones I used to own.

I think unless they redesign this lens, the shift will always be there. It's just a matter of how much.

alpha_1976
Goldmember
3,960 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 03, 2011 12:48 |  #68

We have one that is UX date coded and may be there is some focus shift but it has never really ruined a shot at least for us. So, I started thinking may be focus shift is really less on newer copies for whatever reason then

https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=12475914&po​stcount=69

And I am assuming this is the one you bought. So I am confused about this focus shift again! Good thing is I don't care pics look good and this is what matters I guess :lol:

I know more about gear than I know about photography :p
Gear List

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 03, 2011 13:21 |  #69

alpha_1976 wrote in post #12529830 (external link)
We have one that is UX date coded and may be there is some focus shift but it has never really ruined a shot at least for us. So, I started thinking may be focus shift is really less on newer copies for whatever reason then

https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=12475914&po​stcount=69

And I am assuming this is the one you bought. So I am confused about this focus shift again! Good thing is I don't care pics look good and this is what matters I guess :lol:

Yes indeed. That is the copy I have and I was fully aware of his experiences and he fully disclosed it, perhaps not to that extent since he was interested in selling the lens. I don't blame him. I mean I sold my old copy to someone too. IIRC, he was very happy with it so hey, it is what is it.

The problem with all of this is there are just too many factors. (Same thing for the 24L) Here's what I can come up with as far as permutations are concerned:

• There are no "perfect" copies in a sense that it shifts BY DESIGN. This cannot be avoided.
  • A good copy = shifts but stays mostly within DOF limits.
  • A bad copy = Bad shifting. Sometimes the lens back/front focuses as well which will further confuse the matter.
  • Good or bad copy, some users are oblivious to the problem due to various reasons, including not shooting in the danger zone.
OK, now I am confused!:lol:

The focus shift manifests itself in very specific scenarios. Namely shooting between MFD and perhaps 4-5 feet out and stopped down, usually between f2-f4, give or take some...

Contrary to what the original owner mentioned, my copy shifts minimally. Certainly not enough for me to unload this lens. It is definitely not as accurate using the outer AF points on my 5D2, but the outer AF points on the 5D2, well, sucks...

I think the whole UY date code thing is B.S. I know a few that have had shifting issues on UY date coded 50L's. It's by DESIGN. End of story really...

David ­ S
559 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 03, 2011 14:26 |  #70

I will have to agree with nicksan. It is by design. I also have a UY 50L and it does focus shift. Fortunately for me, the lens front focuses quite a bit at f/1.2 which allows me dial the focus plane back with MA which hides the focus shift at other apertures.

Leica M | Sony a7R | Fujfilm X-Pro 1
flickrexternal link

blk-dslr
629 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 04, 2011 01:51 |  #71

nicksan wrote in post #12528282 (external link)
Doesn't mean there aren't bad copies floating out there. It seems like there's enough folks happy with theirs to indicate that it might not be a general problem, like say the 50L. Perhaps it's just bad QC at this point. Don't really know.

All I know is that the month it took to deal with this mess was frustrating. But I think the lens is worth the trouble. It was for me. I am happy with my copy now.

i'm not saying that theres isn't a bad copy out there, im just saying that my lens works fine, sheesh.

Gear List

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 04, 2011 09:09 |  #72

blk-dslr wrote in post #12533497 (external link)
i'm not saying that theres isn't a bad copy out there, im just saying that my lens works fine, sheesh.

Why defensive all of a sudden? :lol::lol:

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 04, 2011 10:16 |  #73

jdizzle wrote in post #12534404 (external link)
Why defensive all of a sudden? :lol::lol:

Seriously...:rolleyes:

Only trying to help. So much for that idea eh? :lol:

skid00skid00
511 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Jun 04, 2011 12:27 |  #74

I wish I had seen this thread a week ago. I had similar problems with my 400 5.6.

With a little googling, I found out about the *secondary* mirror. Mine had a fuzzball on it. Blowing it clear fixed all the AF problems on my 1Ds.

BTW, I sent in the 400, AND the 1Ds, and Canon service didn't find the fuzzball. This doesn't surprise me, as I'm sure it's extremely rare.

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 04, 2011 13:22 |  #75

So, when is the lens due to return, hopefully fixed? If you do sell it, you should say it comes with frequency flyer miles earned through shipping.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

sponsored links

12,735 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do not make the same mistake as me (24mm Odyssey)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.